How Pixar can make Cars 2 better than the original...

Okay, so I was thinking about Cars 2 and how it could be improved from the first movie. Then I decided to make a list of ten ways Pixar could do just that. It’s not in any particular order and it is simply my opinion, but list ways you think Pixar could make Cars 2 awesome.

1: Explain Doc Husdon’s Death
I know it’s an incredibly sad thought, and Doc was arguably the most important character in the original, but let’s face it- Doc is dead. Why is Doc dead? Because Paul Newman is dead. It’s not like they could bring an identical actor like what they did for Slinky in Toy Story 3, because he is a major character. He’s one of Pixar’s best characters, and Paul Newman is one of the greatest actors, but it seems highly unlikely that he will return.

2: Make the Story Darker
I know what you’re thinking, why are the first two reasons so depressing? Well, this is only my opinion and a coincidence that the two reasons are paired together, but the story should in fact be darker. I don’t mean over the top dark, but I mean as dark as the more recent Pixar movies. The first Cars movie had a few disturbing moments, but it was pretty light. Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3 are really dark and back to back films. If this one was just as dark I think it would be better. Think of all the possibilities here, like how do cars die? Almost like a return to the sinister ideas from Cars’ deleted scenes.

3: Bring Back the Credits Parodies
Now i think this is something we can all agree on. The Pixar parodies during the credits of Cars were some of the movie’s funniest moments. If they could re-do this with other Pixar movies it would be a real treat. Have The Incredicars, Finding Nemo with cars, and even Wall-E with cars would be great. The original film did this as a joke about John Ratzenberger’s parts, and as a tribute to the abondoned bloopers of old Pixar films. This could be a great thank you to the fans if it was used in the sequel.

4: Give the Villain a Bigger Role
One of the few things wrong about the original Cars, was that it didn’t have a strong villain. It didn’t necessarilly need a villain, but Chick Hicks wasn’t even a major part of the film (or at least the bigger villain was the losing of the race for Lightning). Every film needs an antagonist of some sorts, and Cars 2’s will probably be a live character, but make his influence more powerful. Raise the bar, raise the screen-time, and raise the consequences to give the film a more epic feel. With rumors of Jack Black playing the villain, what will his personality and back-story be like?

5: Improve on the Romance of Lightning and Sally
Even though it was a very amusing one, the romance between Lightning and Sally was pushed aside for the Piston Cup finale. It wasn’t the main plot of the film like Wall-E was, and Pixar makes great romantic tension between it’s characters, so the romance could be improved on greatly. You’ve already got the bare bones down, so all you can do is make this already good and believable couple even better.

6:Have a Bigger Story
This is a no-brainer, but Pixar’s initial idea of Lightning competing in races all around the world is a small part of the story. There’s obviously a huge part of the plot that Pixar is hiding from us. Just make sure that secret is well kept and impressive enough to relieve us of our doubts, and you should be off to a great thrill ride of a movie. As long as it has that epic feel we’ve come to expect from Pixar, it should be fun.

7: Give Chick Hicks a Cameo
The cameo from Sid in Toy Story 3 was genius, so why not give a cameo to Chick Hicks? Wouldn’t it be both funny and creepy to see him on the streets looking for a new job? Or something like that, but it would be a nice addition to pleasing the fans.

8: Have Another Awesome Score/Song-Choices
The way specific songs like “Route 66” and “Life is a Highway” were used in Cars was genius! With a whole band of similarly great songs out there to use, Pixar will not disappoint. Make sure Randy Newman returns as the composer as well, because he will always bring a series of fresh, yet nostalgic melodies to enjoy.

9: Have More Mater
What more can I say? Everybody loves Mater. This movie would not be worth seeing without him, and as long as he has an important role (which Pixar has already hinted at) this movie will be predictably hillarious.

10: Just Do What Pixar Does Best
As long as Pixar is the company making this film, it can never go wrong. We all know how much they care about their characters, fans, and movies in general. Pixar wants us to enjoy the film because that is what gives them the inspiration and determination to continue making more productions, and that is all that we could ask for. I along with countless other fans cannot wait for Cars 2 to arrive in theatres.

Thanks for reading. Please post what you think of my list and list other ways you think Pixar could make Cars 2 awesome!

That’s a pretty good list you’ve got there!
I’m still not sure how Pixar will make Cars 2 better then the original, but I just know they can do it. :slight_smile:

This list made my day. :slight_smile:

I actually thought about that a while back! I’m wondering how Wall-E and Eve would look in car form…

Nice list! One thing I really hope is that the villian has a bigger role, I’m a sucker for villians! I am so excited to learn more about what Cars 2 will be about!!!

Awesome list, Chuckles! I definitely agree with making the film darker and having an awesome soundtrack. Cars is one of my favorite Pixar films, if not my most favorite one, but I always feel that it’s a little bit lighter and less mature than the other Pixar films. Not that that’s a bad thing, it’s a nice break after all the depressing stuff, and the message of Cars isn’t deep or anything! But having a darker Cars 2 would serve as a good contrast. Also I loved the soundtrack of Cars, Route 66 is my favorite song, and the entire soundtrack is my favorite movie soundtrack!

I kinda agree with the “stronger villain” thing, but at the same time I disagree. Not every film needs an antagonist. Cars was meant to be more of a person-vs.-self (well, car-vs.self) than a car-vs.-car sort of deal. It focused a lot more on self conflict and self discovery than a conflict with another character. Chick Hicks was never meant to be really important, he mainly just serves as a foil for Mcqueen’s character.

I think Finn McMissile is going to turn into the villain!!!

Haha maybe, but if there’s anything I’ve learned, it’s to not try to predict what Pixar does with their films!

Say!! Good lsit there Chuckles I totally agree htat a darker story would fit in with the more recent PIXAR films! And a WALL-E spoof, my god, I hope they make that!!

Dude, that is an awesome list you posted. I can totally agree with it. I really hope that Pixar does everything you suggest.

I think that if Pixar has a good story, it will be just fine.

Thanks for all the positive criticism guys, and maybe I should do this for other upcoming Pixar films.

Nice list you’ve got there, Chuckles!

BTW, where is everyone getting all this extra information about Cars 2? I haven’t heard much so far.

That’s a very good list there, Chuckles! I agree with pretty much all of the points on there, aside from possibly the Mater one- we like Mater a lot, but we don’t want him taking over the film too much! But yes, the other suggestions, such as the parody, would work great in Cars 2.

Have you considered sending this list as fan-mail to Pixar, Chuckles? Maybe they’d give you an autograph for that! :slight_smile:

Excellent list. I agree with all the points you made (even with the one on Mater, as although he is being featured quite heavily in the ancilary productions, he’s not an annoying character and a good role model). A villain, like Ding mentioned, should not be a requisite, but I won’t mind if he/she is convincing enough (unlike the one in Toy Story 3, IMHO).

And yes, I’d love to see Wall-E and Eve Cars-fied in the blooper credits! And Randy Newman as the composer again with a great theme song like the one Rascal Flatts remade!

I have very high expectations, since this is Pixar’s sequel for a second franchise, and that Cars was responsible for my love for the studio in the first place. You can do it, Pixar! :slight_smile:

Yes, several times. In fact I finished writing a 24,557 word tribute to Pixar about two months ago in hopes of sending it to them. However, I soon realized that they don’t have a fan-mail site, and I can’t send it to them as a gift because I live in Italy and can’t send packages to America (besides, I would want several people to read it instead of just the ones that would guarantee an autograph). I would love for them to respond so I know what they think of it, and I do think they would give me something, but I mainly just want them to read it in general (even if I got nothing in return). :cry: :cry: :cry:

I get it from looking up Cars 2 every hour every day. :laugh: I get some of my stuff from Twitter. Bryko tweets about Pixar stuff a lot and I see Cars 2 information sometimes. :stuck_out_tongue: He’s how I found out about Planes.

You ar correct about that, but that is Cars. I think the sequel needs to move on from inner conflict and have an antagonist.

Cars has my favorite Pixar soundtrack, and I would hate it if the soundtrack for the sequal was lame. But I have full confidence, isn’t Randy Newman the composer in 2nd one as well? From Monsters, Inc to Princess and the Frog to Cats Don’t Dance to The Three Amgios and all in between, there hasn’t been a score he’s done yet that I don’t like!

I agree with all of your other points, but no to this one. I like Mater, but this should not be his movie…and it would probably be weakened if it was. Part of the reason I’m scared about Cars 2 is because all the story lines about Mater and how Larry the Cable Guy said its more about him. Comedic relief=relief. Bad things happen when you shift too much focus onto them.

Sorry if I’m being a witch (censorship hooray!) but I’m just really opinionated on this stuff. :blush:

…and being opiniated is the entire point of this forum. (I’m mainly bluffing about Mater anyway), but I still stand by my opinions.