John Carter

[url]http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/03/17/as-disney-gets-nervous-about-narnia-pixar-now-sets-its-sights-on-mars.aspx[/url]

Last week, the trades were full of stories about how Brad Bird was getting ready to make his live action debut. How the director of “The Incredibles” and “Ratatouille” would soon be helming the big screen adaptation of James Dalessandro’s “1906.”

Now some animation fans had initially assumed that this disaster pic (Which will recreate the Great San Francisco Earthquake) would be Pixar’s initial foray into live action. Well, not quite. “1906” will actually be a co-production, with Warners and Disney / Pixar splitting this sure-to-be-expensive movie’s production costs.

Mind you, Pixar Animation Studios is getting ready to put its first really-for-real live action project into production. Don’t believe me? Okay. Then check out the batch of domain names that the Walt Disney Company registered this past Friday:

Copyright 1999 Frank Frazetta. All Rights Reserved

These titles – coupled with the …

… domain names that the Mouse snagged back on August 18, 2007 as well as that

Copyright 1999 Frank Frazetta. All Rights Reserved

… name that Mickey registered back in November suggest that what Andrew Stanton supposedly told the staff at Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc. back in October of last year is true. That Disney / Pixar definitely is gearing up to do a trilogy of films based on the “John Carter of Mars” books.

According to what Mouse House insiders recently told me, Mark Andrews (i.e. the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of “Ratatouille”) has allegedly already completed a first pass on a screenplay for the first film in the proposed “Mars” series. And given that both Pixar and Disney execs have reportedly responded very enthusiastically to Andrews’ script … Well, both companies are now anxious to put this project in the development pipeline ASAP.

“So what sort of timetable are we talking about here?,” you ask. Well, really serious work on the first “Mars” movie can’t get underway 'til this Fall. Which is when Stanton will finally be through with all of his “WALL * E” -related promotional obligations (i.e. First Andrew has to spend several weeks this spring helping to promote the domestic & international release of Pixar’s latest. Then – after a short break – Stanton has to jump right back in and begin promoting the DVD version of “WALL * E”).

But all of this actual selling-of-“WALL-*-E” work is completed … Andrew is then expected to sit down with Mark & Jim Morris (i.e. A Lucasfilm Digital vet who made the jump to Pixar back in 2005. He’s reportedly been tapped to be the producer on the “Mars” project) and map out a battle plan for “John Carter of Mars.” Which is now tentatively slated to be release in 2012 … or possibly earlier.

Copyright 2008 Disney / Walden Media. All Rights Reserved

“Why earlier?,” you ask. Well … From what I’ve heard, studio suits seem to be cooling to the idea of producing movie versions of all seven of C.S. Lewis’s “Narnia” books. And unless “The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian” does truly huge box office once it’s released to theaters in May of this year … Disney & Walden Media (i.e. Mickey’s partner on the “Narnia” film series) will probably still go forward with production of the already-in-development “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.” But after that … The Mouse would then mostly likely pull the plug on the rest of the proposed “Narnia” film series.

And were that to happen … That would then leave Walt Disney Pictures with a very big hole in its release schedule for 2011 and beyond. And given “Narnia” was initially supposed to have been this on-going franchise, with the Mouse once envisioning releasing a brand-new chapter in the “Chronicles” to theaters every May from 2008 through 2013 … Well, Mickey would love to be able to fill that hole with another film franchise.

Which explains some of the urgency that now surrounds the “John Carter” films. Should “Prince Caspian” stumble once it hits theaters this Spring, Disney may be looking for Pixar to begin its mission to “Mars” pretty damned quick.

So what do you folks think? Are you ready for Pixar to move into live action? Or are you more troubled by the idea that Disney seems to losing its nerve just two books into the “Chronicles of Narnia” film series?

Immediately after reading this news yesterday I went to the library and picked up the first three John Carter of Mars books. I’d never even heard of them before this (odd, since I’ve worked in a library and at Borders for four years).

A Princess of Mars so far has been a great read that’s full of imagination, so I hope this news is accurate. Pixar could do unbelievable things with this material.

That’s cool you’re reading them ! The books were huge as they came out, and later in the 50’s then a resurgance in the 70’s which is when I read them. The screen “Barsoom” ( Mars ) so far has been the airships and desert battle in Return of the Jedi. And Leah was dressed just right for it !

So that’s really gonna be the live action stuff, ay? Well like I’ve said before, I trust them, if that’s what they want to do. Just so long as they focus on animation, which should be their first priority, right?

Well anything like this is going to be mostly animation and artificial environments.

Even if they did use actors, and I’m doubtful that they will, we know that Pixar wouldn’t just pick any Johnny Muscles with a huge fan base. They’d cast an amazing talent who’s perfect for the role, just as they’ve done with every film they’ve made so far.

Well it’s gonna be live, so there will be actors.

Wishful thinking, I guess. :frowning:

Depressing, but if it’s Pixar, it’s gonna be great.

I’ll restrain myself and ask in my sweetest, most sincere " Oh why , oh why is it such a big deal ? And why does anyone think they have the right to tell Andrew Stanton or whoever what he can or can’t do creatively ? Said sweetly.

So it’s confirmed: pixarblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/e … -john.html
Andrew Stanton is in fact writing JCoM. At first I wasn’t so excited for this, but for some reason, I am extremely confident for this one.
So it seems there will be two sci-fi movies on Stantons resume now.
I’m not sure if this will be done by Pixar itself, or as a co-production, I’d rather the latter so that Pixar can focus more on animation, but I’m still very excited!!

Okay, I kind of already knew this, but it’s good to hear something. I did leave a post there. Man, what a tease.

Of course we knew… but now it’s confirmed!!

Exclusive: Andrew Stanton confirms John Carter of Mars [Complete post]

Andrew Stanton personally confirmed for me and others attending today’s roundtable discussion in Toronto that he is currently writing John Carter of Mars for Pixar.

The disclosure came at the end of the short, but extremely enjoyable, discussion (excerpts of which will be published here soon), when a writer from Suite101.com asked about Stanton’s next project, to which Stanton mentioned (not too loudly) ‘John Carter of Mars’.

Doubting what I’m hearing, I interject, “What is that?” “John Carter of Mars, Stanton replies.” “You’re confirming John Carter? Are you serious?” At this point, I turn my tape recorder back on, “…say that on tape!”, I tell him. Stanton: “I am writing John Carter of Mars right now.” “Oh man, you just doubled my page views!”, I say. Everybody laughs.

(I’m currently looking for a way to transfer the poor-quality audio from the microcassette tape into my computer, for uploading here.)

No details on the film just yet, but somehow the fact that Stanton is writing has quelled most of my doubts about the till-now rumoured project.

Some bragging here: Stanton told me at the event that he reads The Pixar Blog often. He also reads Upcoming Pixar, and is wondering as to why Luxo hasn’t posted in a while :slight_smile:

pixarblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/e … -john.html

Look three posts above. ^^^
I don’t know if you realize but you just reposted it, but it’s ok. :smiley: Just letting you know. I’d edit the part where you added the WHOLE article though, that defeats the purpose of linking.

…My thoughts are mixed, to say the least. Here’s the random thoughts I’m having…

1. Trust PIXAR. There films always turn out better than they look. Blah blah blah. It IS Andrew Stanton after all. Mr. Finding Nemo and WALL-E. Yet…

2. Ugh, PIXAR doing live action? WHY?!It’s gonna do great, and they’ll start drifting more ad more, and WHY?!

3. The girl’s “outfit” is terrible. I pray with everything in me they change it for the film. I mean, this may actually give all the “PIXAR is sexist” arguments something to go off of if they don’t.

4. Is this gonna be a teen thing from the looks of it? Oh, joy. It’s the ruining of Transformers with a PG-13 movie all over again, only PIXAR is in danger now.

5. FLOP. PLEASE FLOP. FOR THE GOOD OF PIXAR PLEASE FLOP.

6. Uh… God of Mars? …No, wait, I’ll keep my spiritual views out of this one before the flames start going around.

7. I think this marks the first time in recent history I am not looking forward to a PIXAR film.

8. Is there any chance Disney won’t do it?

9. Support PIXAR, no matter what… I should be doing that, right?

10. PLEASE be better than it looks. Like, a million times better. PIXAR films have looked meh before (and I’ve always been wrong), but this one just looks TERREBLE, which is a new reaction to PIXAR films for me.

11. Geez, I sound like a purist.

12. Narinia seems 10 times better than this.

13.Please let me be wrong about all my negative thoughts.

1. I should go read the books.
  1. FLOP. PLEASE FLOP. FOR THE GOOD OF PIXAR PLEASE FLOP.

Thanks. I’ve been waiting for this movie all my life and I’m thrilled it’s in Pixar’s hands. It’s kinda like Pixar making Star Wars, but good. ( I loved the originals but the others…)

I’m just being honest and putting out all the thoughts in my head. Some of them may be right. Some may be wrong. Some don’t even agree with each other. I’m not trying to insult people who like the idea (heaven knows I like the idea of Cars 2 and lots of others don’t) but that’s just how I feel right now. I really hope I’m proven wrong to be honest. I don’t want PIXAR to make a bad film. I really don’t. :frowning:

The John Carter of Mars books have been hugely popular and influential for almost a century. Maybe check this out johncarterofmars.ca/ they are by the writer of Tarzan, but I prefer the Mars books.

I’ll look for them at the library.