John Carter

Capone (from Ain’t it Cool news) talked with Andrew Stanton and he confirmed he will direct John Carter. Beware! Wall-E kind-a-spoilers:
aintitcool.com/node/37209

How funny, out of everything, you should definitely do number 14 and Number 5 should never have entered the equation :open_mouth:

Wall-E is the first Pixar movie to use real Live Action sequences, I highly doubt that with their focus on story and with such great source material that this could be messed up.

Its definitely NOT one for the kids, does anybody else just love the thought of more well made Adult Animation? i know it excites me, its the whole Animation as a tool rather then genre argument :smiley:

Gah! Woman in skimpy outfit! claws eyes out (I have to say this now, I am sick of seeing women in barley nothing on TV and elseware! Sorry, thats just been bugging me.) Okay besides that, Pixar doing live action movies?! If they are just doing the special effects in it and nothing more then I can understand. Also I have never heard of these books and I’m a (former) book reader finatic (now I’m a writing finatic). I might have thought about reading them, but woman in skimpy outfit scared me away. :open_mouth:

Anybody know exactly how many books are in the series?
:confused:

They are eleven:
tarzan.com/worlds/barsoom.html

• A Princess of Mars
  • The Gods of Mars
  • The Warlord of Mars
  • Thuvia, Maid of Mars
  • The Chessmen of Mars
  • The Master Mind of Mars
  • A Fighting Man of Mars
  • Swords of Mars
  • Synthetic Men of Mars
  • Llana of Gathol
  • John Carter of Mars

Wow, I thought there was like three. Thats going to be tough for Pixar to adapt.

I think thats why they are believed to be adapting them into three movies, with releases back to back over three years, there is a lot of source material.

If it fits into Pixars schedule, its also like 6 years before the first movie will surface.

Auto: THANK YOU. See, that’s my main issue with it too. I don’t wanna go see a film with characters dressed like that.

I doubt Andrew Stanton will have them be dressed like that. I mean, we are talking about Pixar. :laughing:

Skimpy outfits. What are we 10 ? Sheesh. The first book was written in 1911.Outfits are barely described. The books are well loved adventure stories from the pulp era. Star Wars wouldn’t exist without them.

Think Pirates of the Caribbean on Mars. Indiana Jones one Mars. These were written by the author of Tarzan and probably closer to his heart. They are a wonderful read and if Pixar plies it’s usual magic you are going to be in love with these characters in a few years.

I had to add this.

Would they make all of those :open_mouth:

I think they are planning the first three.

You know, I’m actually really warming to this idea now. It’s seems a little strange, but Pixar has a knack of knowing what the right thing is in terms of a movie, and something of this sort of style would look amazing Pixar-fied.

I can’t wait to see Pixar build this world, Barsoom, as the martians call it. Pixar does such a great job of that, and a major appeal of the book is Barsoom itself.

Since the books started in 1911, this vision of mars was sort of kind of plausible. Since then ,we sophisticates of the 21st century assume that John Carter travels to a different dimension, one where Barsoom takes the place of Mars. But he knows it as Mars.

And because he’s so cute (kinda ) I have to show you a pic of Woola, his ‘doggy’. This is artwork done for the Paramount version.

[i]

A filmmaker could take this source material and make something either like “Conan the Barbarian” or “Pirates of the Carribean” or “Lord of the Rings.” I’m hoping for the epic science fantasy approach.

Abraham Sherman[/i]

Abraham , check out my www.barsoomia.org for news. - Jeff ( the Blaze Guard )

I have mixed feelings about it too, not because I dont think Pixar could do it, but I just dont think I’ll be interested in that kind of movie. I certainly dont want it to flop though. I want whatever Pixar puts out to be successful, whether I liked it or not.

I don’t know how many times this has to be said, It’ll be an Andrew Stanton movie released by Disney, like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies ( have one of you heard of these movies ? Any one out there ? ) And John Carter is kind of like a Star Wars movie, more than a few people saw those. Actually a lot of Star Wars was stolen from the Mars stuff ) , more than a few people saw those.

" I have mixed feelings about it too, not because I don’t think Pixar could do it, but I just dont think I’ll be interested in that kind of movie."

What is THAT kind of movie ? One that isn’t set in a child’s bedroom ? I really don’t get it. Do the bulk of you live at home with your stuffed toy collection and Donny and Marie record collection ?

Really, what is THAT kind of movie ?

AND ONE MORE TIME - VERY LIKELY NOT RELEASED UNDER PIXAR’S NAME.

No, I do sort of get what lennonluvr9 means. Whether or not it’s released under Pixar’s name is of no concern to me, but rather whether I’d actually like the movie itself. Personally, I’m not a massive fan of the extreme fantasy genre, i.e. Star Wars, that sort of thing, but I’m willing to give John Carter of Mars a chance if it does have some involvement with Pixar, because what Pixar creates is generally very, very good. It’s the same with any other Pixar movie, or any other movie for that matter- sometimes, it’s just not someone’s cup of tea.