Megamind

IV: Well, you probably know by now that TI was never my favorite Pixar movie to begin with, but I’m pretty sure that for you, MM probably will not beat that movie. :wink: It’s all a matter of preference. But at the same time, it might - it just depends on how much you connect to the characters.

I guess MM is kind of one of those movies that you shouldn’t go into it expecting too much (or, in other words, set your standards too high), or you will be very disappointed. We went into it thinking it was going to be very dumb, and I was surprised that it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It’s all how you view it, and how open you are to movies like that. I seriously didn’t expect KFP to be as good as it was, and I know that not everyone likes it, but hey - like I said, it’s all a matter of preference. :slight_smile: I also think that watching HtTYD and KFP really opened up my mind to accept movies that weren’t Pixar. It really doesn’t help if you believe that there is only one good company in the whole wide world that makes the only good movies… because it’s not true, and you don’t let yourself have the chance to widen your movie palette.

But I did like Megamind’s character alot. I liked how he and Minion got along, and I definitely liked his sarcasm. Apparently, like TDIT said a while back, I really seem to like the “bad boys” in movies. :stuck_out_tongue: Haha.

My favorite quote:
-“What?”
-“Ohh you look fantastic. 8]”

I have yet to see the whole thing, but I’ve seen a lot of it… Which I regret. Damn you Dreamworks for releasing so many clips! D:

I’m open minded.

I don’t think Pixar makes the only good movies, but they’re certainly better than most. :stuck_out_tongue:

Preference, tastes… depend on opinion, granted. Quality, on the other hand… is almost a matter of fact. And remember that I said almost. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the most hilarious moment for mr was the “I’m like your Space Dad” joke, and their off hand laughing at how “We’re going to die!” was on par with Russel’s “Whew, I thought you were dead”.

Eh, I don’t think MM will be of higher quality than The Incredibles. Equal, however, I would believe.

Yeah, and I love Kung Fu Panda. Imean realllllly love it. I also lolve How to Train Your Dragon, bought the DVD, and prefer it over TS3(I’m going to get shot for that.)

I don’t think…certain films are better than others because they’re Pixar or not, but because they’re good. The difference, I’ve never seen a bad Pixar movie. Heck, until this year, they never even disappointed me. DreamWorks, however…I won’t go there.

I’m willing to give this film a fair chance. I’ve wanted to see it ever since I got past the whole(Nov. 5th? WTF??? :imp: ) thing I had, though it still annoys me greatly. But, I can’t afford to see it. I only get to see 2 movies a year due to my mom losing her job, and depending on he whose name I won’t say. I saw TS3 and HtTYD, loved both, and as much as I would love to see this, I don’t feel guilty. Anxious and sad, yes.

You summarized all my feelings on that quote.

Some people don’t understand that, and believe we love something just because it’s Pixar’s.

Ha, I totally agree with you there, IV. But you made a good point. It really is all about preference, and people like certain movies that fit within their qualifications on “what makes a good movie”. I know people who just don’t care what they watch, and I also know others (including myself :stuck_out_tongue:) who actually do care about quality, story, and character development in a movie. Most people don’t even notice stuff like that.

Spirit of Adventure has made some good points as well. Quality is definitely something that DreamWorks needs to work on (and they have been, thank God), but Pixar really does know what it takes to make a great story.

I really hope you get to see it, IV. It’s a really fun movie. :slight_smile: I asked my mom if I’d be able to take my grandmother and my brothers to see it again, but she’s worried about the money. :\

If you set the bar low, prepare to be amazed. If you set the bar high, prepare to be disappointed. If you set the bar in the middle, prepare to be… uh… wait, I lost my train of thought. XD

I really have to credit HTTYD for opening my eyes to other possibilities. I was already considering other studios’ films around that time (I was watching alternate animated films like Princess and the Frog from Disney, which was good, and Roadside Romeo from Yash Raj films, which was bad), but HTTYD really ripped off the blinkers and realized that Pixar, while still the best animation studio in the world, does not own a monopoly on quality. And from then on, I expanded my horizons (in addition to being disappointed by Toy Story 3 and being turned off by more close-minded Pixar fans).

Haha, you know you do. :wink: I’m really looking forward to the banter in this film, if there’s one thing Dreamworks exceeds at, it’s ‘banter’ dialogue.

I agree with you. I suppose the ‘almost’ part can be defined as subjectivity. After all, quality is subjective. I was surprised that Jackass 3D has been getting average 3-star reviews, when I thought film critics would be more harsh towards it (I watched the first one, and absolutely despised it). And then I see films like Legend of the Guardians or How to Train Your Dragon get 3-and-a-half stars, even though they’re leagues ahead of any live-action film this year. How LOTG and HTTYD can be half a star above J3D is unfathomable (or as Megamind would say it, “Beyond Fathom”). Quality is subjective. It’s in the eye of the beholder, and largely hinges on popular consensus. Hence, as you have said, almost a matter of fact. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad you guys see what I’m saying. I don’t like Pixar films for being Pixar, but for being good.

I want to see MM, but it’s not going to happen until after Christmas. :frowning:
Anyway, I think some of out Disney fans are being really mean and biased toward MM on the Tangled thread. Talk about ignorant. :confused:

SoA, I love your FN tags!!

Thanks, IV.

It’s been one of my favorites so far too.

I hope the fans of other companies can be nicer to DW and this movie. Jease…

*although it’s not my favorite movie, the anemone always meant something to me. And the egg scene. *

Well, I’ll be darned. I liked it.

I groaned when I first saw the trailer, and I only went to go see it because everybody wouldn’t shut up about it and I haven’t been to the movies since Toy Story 3, but I really, really liked it.

Spoiler free short review: Megamind is every cliche from every superhero movie you have ever seen either parodied or turned on its ear, and the jokes are all funny. The writing isn’t perfect, and there will be plenty of animation nerds, especially Pixar nerds (face it, there’s a bias.), who are going to not like this, but Megamind did something a lot of movies can’t; it kept me either smiling, laughing, or going “awww” the entire time, and it had characters I could relate to.

It was entertaining. And isn’t that what entertainment is about at the core?

Well done Dreamworks. Two films in a row that didn’t suck. You’re starting to grow some legs.

That, and the visuals were drop dead fantastic, as was the 3D. In fact, the 3D was almost too good… I did not need so much 3D of so many guys in spandex. o_o;

I have a feeling Megamind will have a Monsters vs Aliens ‘unremarkable-but-still-charming’ feel to it. Even the aesthetics look the same (right down to the endearing characters but boring-looking architecture!).

I think it’ll be way better than MVA. I hated that movie, and Ginormica annoyed me(and looked like a morph of Mirage and Elastigirl.) Plus, the characters on this look way less ugly. :smiley:

As an amusing aside, anyone thinks this poster looks familiar?

Yeah, thought so. :slight_smile:

Lulz. To top it off I felt like Megamind had kind of an Incredibles vibe if Incredibles had been stronger in the part that parodied superhero films.

Wow…I hate that MM poster. :frowning: I still have a little interest in the movie, though. May rent it.

Isn’t that how pretty much all of Dreamworks’ posters look like, though? :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish they would just stick to the Superman references. I didn’t exactly love the old Superman movies, and that wouldn’t phase me at all.

We went to the theater today. I thought we would see this or Tangled, but alas, we saw HP7. :cry:

;x

[url]Shrek (2001) Poster #1 - Trailer Addict