Most overrated films of all time

Oh yes I enjoyed parts of it, but it isn’t as good as some think.

I still wanna see a Hitchcock film and Blade Runner too! And Pulp Fiction, and A Clockwork Orange, and Forrest Gump… I’ve not seen tons of acclaimed movies :frowning:

That being said, I tend to not think of things as “overrated” in my mind even if, when evaluated, I can see that it is. I love plenty of things that I could consider overrated if I really thought about it, but I don’t see too much of a point. I’m only bothered by an overly praised work if I outright loathed it.

Personally, I think Pulp Fiction is junk. People say Tarantino is “visionary”, but what they really mean, is he likes to make movies that should be graphic novels. He just likes to splash red paint everywhere and people call it “art”. Hitchcock of course is always great. A Clockwork Orange, while as violent as some of Tarantino’s films, is amazing. I love it. There’s violence for a REASON, not just that the director has some kind of a blood fetish. Kubrick is just amazing; I haven’t seen anything attached to him that I didn’t like. And Forrest Gump is one of my all time favorites! That said you should see all those movies, because like you said, they’re a big deal. I need to see The Graduate, The Jazz Singer, and a lot of foreign films.

I like many Tarantino films, however say in Django Unchained the blood looks so fake and overdone that it makes the film look and feel cheap. Not to mention some of the many impossible things that happen in that film.

Why are some of my favorite films listed as ‘overrated’ in this topic?

Reasons for my concern:
–I love all the Pixar films.
–I had recently become interested in Star Wars, and my mother had grew up with that.
–The minions are very mischievous.
–Vanellope is so cute!
–Happy Feet is environmental (probably because of overfishing) and the penguins are cute! (Especially the babies.)

Star Wars is anything but over rated. We all have our own interests, but to say Star Wars is over rated, is a complete misunderstanding of the word. The original trilogy receives all the praise in the world. But this is not over rated, because it deserves the credit and praise. They are a landmark in film making that can never be replicated. All sorts of amazing original mythology, great effects, that honestly look way better than the video game-quality effects in the prequels. The Empire Strikes Back particularly stands out as an amazingly perfect blend of characters, story, visuals, action and script. Star Wars has influenced almost every great piece of media since its release. The three Books of Avatar: The Last Airbender play out very much in a similar style of the Original Trilogy(plot wise). That’s how good Star Wars is; it has such a great mythology and universe to exist in, that it inspires other people to create entirely new and different universes with wildly diverse characters and terrains, entire worlds. And these other creative people constantly go back and pay homage back to the Original Trilogy, continuing its greatness. That’s what makes a classic, when it so permeates society that in totally unrelated works that are amazing on their own merit, it still pops up! Star Wars can’t stay out of pop culture. There are movies you like, and then there are movies that are good. Not only is Star Wars great, but it’s difficult to find people who don’t like it. It totally shaped the minds of a generation.

What can I say Star Wars is like, the best Sci-Fi series ever!

I say the best film series, that is not based on books/a book. At least out of American series.

I’ve never been a huge Star Wars fanatic, though I don’t think it’s overrated. I do like alot of sci-fi movies, but I’m more into the cyberpunk, dystopian or horror variety rather than the space opera type.

The Godfather

I don’t get why some people are saying things about Frozen plus The Lego Movie being overrated–if a lot of people seem to enjoy them so much they’ve become a success, that means they are good movies.

I don’t like it that some people are bashing good movies into thinking they don’t teach anything good. But they sure do complain too much these days.

Eh…I don’t know of any titles that would be overrated, personally.

My dad hated Frozen. I asked why, because I thought it was fantastic. He hates it because of the line in Fixer Upper, “People don’t really change”.

Sounds like your dad has some serious issues, IncredigirlVirginia. Seriously, I hate people like that.

Yeah he really enjoys a few Disney movies, and hates all the others for “moral reasons”.

Movies should not be judged critically for moral reasons, in my opinion. Usually, they’re just supposed to be for enjoyment and for entertainment.

I agree!

I’m just saying, it is generally not a good idea to bash such a good movie! (And I mean just for that one same thing, which many people with serious issues tend to get stuck on while complaining about it.)

I think movies that have really bad morals should be looked at. But at the same time, I don’t think you should use Hollywood films as “role models”. Plus, my dad projects bad morals onto Disney films that often are not there, or are not important to the story.

You do have a point there, IV. The morals are way different in those movies than what most people think. It’s like little tiny details that no one seems to actually pay attention to.

Your dad would hate me, because I also think “people don’t really change” 8D