Movies - both new and old

Yeah, I generally like MU more than most other people do.

Yeah, same here. Not only does it have so many quotable moments, the core theme/message is actually pretty surprising and something I really connected to. Plus it ties itself so neatly into its successor in a way that few other prequels have done!

I LOVED Monsters University, it was my favorite movie of 2013! Though I haven’t seen it since it was in theaters, what, 2 years ago? I need to watch it again. I also need to watch Toy Story 3 again, I haven’t watched that in, I think 3 years even.

I haven’t seen either of those in a while. I can’t remember the last time I saw MU but I know I last saw TS3 around Christmas.

I’m going to go a little off topic here but are any of you fans of Star Wars? I am personally a huge Star Wars fan (not a big fan of the prequels, I mostly watched the original trilogy). My favorite film in the saga is easily Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, which in my opinion is one of the best movies of all time. I love that film because of it’s good character development, great writing and acting, good story, good visual effects (at least in the original version and not in the special edition), for having one of the most memorable plot twists in all of cinema, it’s cliffhanger ending, and it’s darker tone.

The latest trailer for The Peanuts Movie is out: traileraddict.com/peanuts/feature-trailer

I have high hopes for this; if this is successful, I would be up for sequels or a few television specials.

When I heard that Blue Sky was doing a CGI remake of the Peanuts, I had very low faith. But the animation, the tone, the humor all seems to be a loving tribute, and I am actually looking forward to it! I am especially impressed with how they adapted the animation to CGI.

You’re not alone. Most people I talked to had that fear. I myself always knew it would work. It certainly doesn’t hurt to have Schulz’s son and grandson writing and producing.

At the moment Peanuts is my most anticipated animated film. I have a lot of faith that it will be good.

Ikr? The three films I am most excited to see for the rest of this year are Star Wars VII, The Peanuts Movie, and The Good Dinosaur. My family is a big fan of the Peanuts and I cannot wait to see it. In my opinion, the 3D models of the gang look perfect and the animation looks beautiful. I really hope there are references to a lot of the older comics as well.

I love Star Wars! I have to admit, I only watched the films about two years ago, when my brother (a HUGE Star Wars fan) introduced me to them. Can’t say they’re my favorite films, but I like them a lot, my faves are Episodes V&VI. Of course, I already knew the twist from Episode V, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying the film. :smiley: My brother urges me to watch The Clone Wars too, but I don’t feel like it. Maybe someday.

I’ve only seen a handful of TCW episodes and I guess they were good. I’m not too into the prequels or the idea of the clones but I found the show enjoyable for what it was. I don’t plan on watching anymore episodes, though.

OOoo, I didnt know that! Charles Schulz actually lived near where I grew up and in the town where I went to Community College. I’ve gone to his ice rink he built plenty of times, but never the Charles Schultz museum which is on the same property. This movie certainly repeaked my interest in his works and I hope to go to the museum sometime this summer.

I’m not a big fan of the prequels, but I liked Episode III. I got a little bored watching the first two, though. What I enjoyed most about them was John Williams’s score.

^ Same. John William’s score was amazing in the prequels, even if the films weren’t so amazing. Duel of the Fates is one of the best pieces of music he’s ever done IMO.

I saw Terminator Genisys yesterday in good ol IMAX 3D. It was good but not great. It was entertaining and seeing Arnold again was awesome but the story was kinda eh. I liked Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor but Jason Clarke and Jai Courtney could’ve done better. I’d give it a 7/10.

Damn. That’s far better than any critics have been giving it.

Very much looking forward to Southpaw and Best of Enemies. For those who don’t know about the latter, here’s the trailer: traileraddict.com/best-of-en … re-trailer

I’m all for a well-crafted documentary. I haven’t seen that many of them as of late. The only one in my collection is Life Itself, although I have been looking to add For No Good Reason for quite some time.

Just re-watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Easily in my top three favorite films.

Roger Rabbit is to this day my personal favorite film. So many fond memories…

Just rewatched Forrest Gump yesterday. One of my favorite films ever. Tom Hanks’ acting in that film is amazing.

Let’s rate a bit of the backlog of films that I’ve seen after Pixar got into a kind of “car crash”, shall we… :wink:

Skyfall - 10/10 (Hands down, the best “Bond” film. Just the right mix of nostalgia and Youtube and an awesome (if mastering-wise butchered) theme song. But whoever thought it was a good idea to have Eve say “VW beetles” instead of “a swarm of beetles” needs to be fishslapped :mrgreen:)

War Horse - 8/10 (A very touching Spielberg movie that flew a bit under the radar, this one proves that sometimes horses make the best actors.)

Gravity - 10/10 (And no, this film does not need 3D at all, it is just as edge-of-your-seat-awesome in 2D. Genius-level directing, writing and sound-mixing, a very worthy Oscar-winner.)

Pianomania - 9/10 (A documentary about a piano technician makes for good entertainment??? It does indeed! :mrgreen: I have a feeling it is funnier if you actually understand German than if you have to rely on the subtitles, though.)

A Letter to Momo - 9/10 (As Studio Ghibli is kindof in “pause mode” these days, it’s good to see other animators in Japan delivering the same kind of vibe and quality in their films. This one is clearly one of the best, and comparisons to “Spirited Away” and “Totoro” are not off the mark.)

The Lego Movie - 6/10 (Heavy-handed, convoluted and filled with some excessively annoying characters (Batman, pseudo-Gandalf and Dumbledore, I’m looking at you…). “Everything is awesome”? Not really, but Unikitty is. :mrgreen:

Rocky IV - -1/10 (Yes, it is that bad. Actually the only good thing about it is (of all things) Vince DiCola’s synth-heavy score, which is kinda drowned in the abysmal sound mix on the Blu-ray.)

But wait… didn’t the first Rocky win “best picture”?

Rocky - 9/10 (It took me a while to get used to Bill Conti instead of Vince DiCola (I watched R.IV first), but boy, what they managed to deliver on a shoe-string budget is truly amazing. A perfect cast, awesome acting and an engaging story that in isn’t really about boxing at all…)