My Pixar Renders

The torso is definitely way off, no doubt. its why up until now Ive made sure it wasnt in the shot all the way. It was really just slapped together. I’m finding that part to be more difficult than anything to even get started on. why? because really I need to see what buzz might look like without his green vest thing, his pack back, shoulder sockets, etc to get a clear reference, and that’s just not going to happen.

its going to give me a lot of trouble, there’s a lot of complex curves going on there. keeping everything in proportion and smooth is going to be a huge challenge.

You tricked Lego! Well, maybe not, but look:

I found this a few days ago on New year’s Eve:

I wasn’t sure if they were going to update/change it anytime soon, so I took a screenshot. But as of this post, it’s still there so head on over to [url]http://www.lego.com/toystory[/url] to see it for yourself.

P.S. This is officially my first post.

yo: I’m cracking up right now. That’s awesome! :laughing:

Either the render was good enough to fool Lego, or maybe they were just desperate for a picture of an toy-free Andy’s room. But even if it was the latter, they still thought it was good enough to pass off as the authentic one. And it’s still quite an early version!

That is so awesome.

Oh my…geeze are you kidding me? Even with no windows? they didn’t even photoshop some in there? If thats real I’m speechless…

Edit: Interesting, I wonder why they blurred out/removed the Operation logo from its box while leaving MouseTrap alone…

That is so cool! I think they should give you some credit somewhere on the site! :wink:

Windows? yes please.

Now I’ll need to do new matte paintings, for now its just the one I already did, rotated a bit for variety. Didn’t realize the one window background wasn’t lined up properly until after the render.
Theres also new more accurate trim (for the siding that goes half way up the wall)

Edit: Bigger render, new painting in one of the windows, lowered the blinds too.

Heres a video documenting the whole Toy story project.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ufvh5pH05h0

Along with most of the renders Ive already posted, you’ll also get some basic animation. It would take ages to render so its all in real time.

I have a feeling the audio might get removed, as its already been flagged, and made not available in some countries, so I might end up taking it down and re uploading it with royalty free music, or at least someone lesser known. I hate that crap…there are entire videos up for nothing other than to let people listen to the same tracks Im using here, and those have been up for over a year. why not pick on them? Im not even playing entire tracks.

Edit: beveled the desktop, added some wood texture to the toy chest and desk.

Edit: Added texture from the dvd, And had some fun with lighting.

Made a new rug with more rings, its more accurate this way.

and made this block…I know, its complexity is astounding.

actually I could use some help here, I made the textures based on this image.
problem is I cant see the other sides not facing the camera. anyone know whats on the other sides?

I also started to make my way into the hallway/stairs.

Edit: also, I told Lee about Lego plagiarizing my work, and he had Lego remove it. I recently got an email from their legal department saying they take this issue very seriously, blah blah, and removed it shortly after being notified of it.

I never wanted it removed, just paid somehow. Even if it were in swag or something. And as you guys can see, I even added windows just in case they wanted to pay me for my work. But I guess their not interested in anything but covering their own butts.

All I can say is, as per usual, I’m very impressed with your updates, Kyle. Andy’s room is looking amazing, and that’s cool how you’ve now progressed into the corridor.

That’s a shame about Lego not even trying to compensate you for it or something- as you said, it sounds like they’re just trying to look after themselves.

Started one of the army men.

Edit: here’s a random thought: I’m thinking about animating these guys when its done, to do the drill from MJ’s “This Is It”. It could turn out pretty hilarious. Only thing is, how would I animate them while on their base? A lot of that choreography just cant be done without allowing the feet to separate completely.

Do I make them try it, and fall over in doing doing so? or allow them to remove their bases? maybe even show them sawing them off?

Wow. You never cease to amaze me with your modeling skills! Andy’s room looks amazing! Really spot on! And your army men around coming along nicely too!

Bad news, my laptop hard drive failed, meaning I have lost many hours of work. not all of it mind you, but this means Im back to having no real windows, no hallway, no improved rug, no army man, and a bunch of other stuff.

I had a guy I know try all he could to recover the data, but so far no dice. theres still one more thing left to try, short of sending it to a data recovery plant (which would charge and upwards of a thousand bucks) which is to replace the drive’s chip. the hard part is finding a match.

In any event, I have started on Woody’s head, and might have something to show soon.

Edit:

Edit:

Edit: Whats a cowboy without his hat?

Making the string that swirls around the rim is going to be a real pain in the butt…

Edit: working on the body.

Wow Kyle, this is absolutely AMAZING! I’m sorry your HD broke down and you lost all of that stuff. I would get Carbonite so you never lose it again. :wink:

You’ve got to back it up to get it back, as Leo Laporte says.

I should really find a place to store this project online, any simple suggestions? its not even that big in file size. its less than 20 MBs. (not including textures)

Anyway, I posted this in the replica thread in the Toy Story forum, but I haven’t updated this thread yet. I have started on Andy’s new room, since I already have the furniture , not much work will be needed.

What do you guys think about Woody’s scale here? too small? too big? just right?

Hmm judging from the second picture I’d say maybe just a stretch taller but that’s just going from my eye. Perhaps play around a bit?

As far as online storage space how about something like dropbox? dropbox.com/

Anyway fantastic stuff :slight_smile: Really impressed with the level of detail and obviously all the love and passion that has gone into this. Tremendous.

What are you using? Watched the video and it seems like it may be 3DSMax? I’m a Maya man and I forget what other interfaces look like now :slight_smile: Sorry if its been answered already.

Wow. You are truly amazing at this. I could never do something that could even compare with this. Awesome job!

And regarding your question Ashley, I believe he said he was using Anim8or, but I’ll let Kyle himself give you an official answer.

Sorry about the duplicate post. Beleive me, it’s annoying me more than it is you.

Yes, I use anim8or, not max nor Maya. its not even comparable to those, as this program is free, and made by only one guy, named Steve.

Ive used dropbox, but only for file transfer, it didn’t really occur to me I could keep it online that way.

Here’s a new texture I added to the rug. it doesn’t quite line up, but hopefully its still an improvement.

Oh cool, never heard of that programme before :slight_smile:

I like the rug. Especially as it doesn’t look ‘perfect’ i.e. it doesn’t have x identical rings within it (they may in fact be identical but maybe the lighting or whatever makes it look like there are little imperfections, which make it seem more realistic). If any of that makes sense…