Pixar Internships 2011

I was just wondering if anyone else has applied for the PUP summer internship at pixar?
Or for that matter, any of the internships? ;-p
I just sent my demo reel in last week, and can’t get rid of my nerves. So, I thought the best way to wait out the month and a half until I get a reply, was to share in the anxiety with whoe’er on these forums is also waiting nervously :smiley:

I am so nervous, partially because of the possibility of simply getting a rejection letter, the possibility of totally stuffing up a phone interview (on the awesome offchance I might get one) … I need to stop researching the internship statistics, I read somewhere that Pixar receives anywhere from 1000-3000 applications, and they only hire about 40 of those. I have wanted to work at Pixar ever since I saw Monsters Inc. when I was 13… so I have years of excitement and anxiety riding on this.

I would love to talk with anyone who has past experience at pixar, or people’s knowledge about the internships, or people who are currently waiting for notification also…

Thankyou!!! ^.^

I’m not applying for one of the internships this year - but I plan to in another 3-4. I’m a bit upset that they have internships up for every department except for Marketing (which is what I plan on studying. The whole reason I’m studying it being in the hopes of one day working for Pixar’s Marketing/PR Dept…)

But good luck to you! Let us know how everything turns out? Everyone has to start somewhere, and if you get turned away at first, then try again. If it’s truly your dream (and I know how it feels.) then you’ll succeed at one point or another.

I plan on sending in my reel for the TD modeling internship this week. This will be my 2nd time applying. Last time I made it to the interview (Applied for PUP) so I hope to get at least another chance at an interview…

Super nervous as well. Sending in reels is quite expensive!(not from USA)

Thankyou Ali :slight_smile: And I really hope that when you go to apply, they have a Marketing internship open :frowning: !!
I hope, at least, to get to the interview stage, because at least then I would have come a step closer :smiley:

That sounds so awesome Seria!! Good Luck! Please keep me posted :smiley: It’s nice to have someone else to be excited and nervous with XD Oh! Are you in Australasia or Europe? I agree though, it was about $50 all up, with priority mail and everything :O!!
But heck, it’s worth it!!

Ooooh, how long did it take you to get an email asking for a phone interview? And if you don’t mind me asking, what kind of questions did they ask you? And how long did it take to get a follow up email? Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I’m realllly nervous :3

I really really hope we can both get in, because that would be doubly awesome ^.^ !!! Modelling TD sounds really cool!

I’m from Canada actually =)
I got the first phone call within a week but then it when on and took a week till the interview and forever till the final decision (like last week of April)!

The questions aren’t that different from any job interview really, they ask about your demo reel/portfolio, why you want to work at Pixar, and example of a problem you have had working in a team and how it was solved, specific questions about previous work experience, etc.

Haha, I love that I forgot the most obvious country XD hahaha!

Gosh, you must have been so anxious, waiting for that call!!! I was looking at the requirements and how to write up your demo reel breakdown, and I was making :frowning: face; i don’t have experience at a fancy animation studio, or some corporate work, as the demo reel suggestions offer. I was all like D: I’m not qualified sounding enough!!!

I have to stop watching demo reels of other pixar applicants; my nerves are gonna kill me. Thankyou so much for being able to provide some insight; hm, I applied for the PUP and animation internship, but it’s funny; one’s due date is march 11, and the other is april 4th. I wonder why they’re not all due the same date?

Hey, I posted on CGTALK to see if anyone applied. I sent in my application for the PUP last week and I am just as nervous as you. I’m sure there are a few hundred applicants so I’m not holding my breath, but even if I dont get it, that will just reassure me that I have to work twice as hard as I already am. Good luck! Mind if I see your demo reel or anything?

It’s not online but I do have a website www.sarahneveu.daportfolio.com. Gives you an idea of my level, although there s a lot of old crap on there, would need to clean it up sometimes… But I seriously think it is my “impressive” resume that got me the PUP interview 2 years ago
What about you?

Your Ferrari and crossbow are nice. I also like that cityscape a whole lot! Good luck on your TD application. You have a few trades under your belt - Do you want to do like costume design for animation or what?

My professor makes us update a blog for our 3d class with works in progress and video tutorials we are watching and those can be found at wazin8anim8.tumblr.com
I also just started uploading them to my old deviantart account (after deleting a bunch of old posts) and those are at invartact.deviantart.com but all of those are the models without the boring WIP and tutorials. I still have quite a few to upload to DeviantArt.

I secretly dream of doing concept art so I can design costumes for the characters but I know my skill in digital painting are definitely not there yet. But I have found a new passion in modeling so that is my current career goal. I have been told by the Pixar lead TD that I would probably make a good hair and cloth simulation TD because of my background but I still find simulation to be frustrating! My simulation teacher calls it “plug and pray” cause you never know if it’ll behave the way you want it to.

Good luck to you with your PUP application. Your 3d models are quite good but if I can give you a tip they would benefit from a HDRI lighting so your reflective objects have some environment to reflect.

Thanks Seria. I’m just now in my first 3d modeling class and started modeling a few months ago. I’m constantly trying to learn new things. I’ve read up on HDRI lighting and have a DSLR camera so I’ll definitely work that in for the future.

How long was your phone interview?

Hey guys!

I’m submitting mine soon…hopefully by tonight hahaha. A question for y’all! I don’t have experience in 3d modeling or animation YET, so I don’t have any time-based work. Do I still submit a reel on a DVD or do I just submit a PDF with my artwork/photography? I couldn’t find explicit information on portfolios on the site, only info for the demo reels.

Thanks!

@jwang You can do either or. Check out [url]http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/howto.html[/url]

They wont automatically turn you down if you send in copies of your art vs a demo reel but the strongest 2d artwork should be all you send in. Not 5 really good images and 20 bad ones after it. Good luck!

jwang: Submitting a demo reel would require you to mail a hard copy of your application in since there isn’t where to submit one online (at least not that I found! I pray I’m not wrong). So even given the time constraints and the fact that your work isn’t time-based as you say, I think a pdf would be fine.

It took me a surprisingly long time to create my demo reel so it’s definitely not something to do with the deadline looming in a few days and especially if its not wholly necessarily for your application.

But that’s just my two cents. :stuck_out_tongue: Good luck with your application!

Thank you guys so much! You definitely just saved me a few hours of headache and anguish hahaha I wish you all luck : )

so just as clarification, if I just attach images at the end of my pdf-resume, I don’t have to physically mail anything in?

I mailed off my stuff yesterday. It should be there on Friday. I applied for their regular TD intern position. I will probably apply for their Spring internship position if I don’t get anything this time around. I’m very doubtful that I’ll get anything since the work I submitted isn’t exactly what I had hoped to submit when I started planning my application. I’ll just hope for the best I suppose.

@joro:what do you mean you didn’t submit what you planned to submit? As in, you couldn’t find some of your work, or you couldn’t get it finished in time? :frowning:

Either way, I wish you all the best :slight_smile: Please keep us posted!

I had other stuff to focus on at the time in regards to school work so I never got around to finishing up any of the projects I wanted to do. I also had a small problem in one of my projects which has remained unsolved and currently waiting on my mentor to help me figure it out. I was hoping he’d help me figure this out before I mailed everything off, but he’s pretty busy especially with his own work deadlines. In the end, I submitted a combination of personal work + class projects. Hopefully it’s enough to at least get me an interview. Though I honestly don’t expect much…

Ahh I applied yesterday! I’m applying to PUP, last year I applied to that program and got a phone interview but no dice. Hoping I get my dream job this time :slight_smile: The wait is painful