Planes

Oops, sorry about that, EJE. I found another one with Spanish subtitles. It’s just silly more than anything, but you might find it fun:

youtube.com/watch?v=keiXwNO2cfM

I’ll have to rent this one. I’m still a little shocked they’d dare send this to theaters.

Well, one disappointing thing is that Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar are going to be the ones getting the blame for this, and neither of them even made the film, it was Disney Toon. And honestly, I wasn’t overly thrilled when I heard it would be theaters. The main reason I’ll be there is because my dad loves planes and was excited to hear it would be on the big screen, so that means I’ll be there. This will probably be better than I think, but I think the marketing sometimes is not very convincing, which is the first step toward selling a product. But even if this is pretty good, why do they have to announce the sequels coming out already in a year, also in theaters?

On a side, I always wondered why Disney Toon Studios wasn’t discontinued. I thought maybe it could be more useful if the employees were re-hired to be Disney or Pixar employees instead. They only create spin-offs, which are derivative works of other efforts. It’s almost like the way it used to be, the only difference is now their films are actually watchable. Dan Scanlon moved from that area to Pixar, and I actually hope that same thing happens to as many people as possible.

…I really. I don’t. I.

Is that a scene from the actual movie, or is it a bonus thing?

Uh…actually, now that you mention it, the reason I was okay with it was because I thought it was just a promotional thing. Well, maybe this is not - I’m not sure anymore. Because if it is…I don’t know what to think.

I have a feeling that it’s from the movie, because when she flies over water, and there’s a refelction? That’s in the trailer as well.

Ah. Oh well. It’s just a minor part anyhow.

I just watched that clip… [spoil]SINGING PLANES ARE REAL!!! :laughing:[/spoil] I don’t know what to think, honestly. I’m not opposed to this but it definitely seems a lower quality than WDAS or Pixar. But it could be decent, I’m just not rushing out to see it or anything. Most of the gags seen in the trailer before MU seemed far more younger kid-oriented, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it came across as a bit pandering to me. :frowning: However, I will give them props for using an ELO song. :stuck_out_tongue:

I finally saw the trailer for it on DM2, and ooooh gosh I’m even more excited for it! I can understand why not everyone is, and I’m being careful to not get too too into it at risk of getting let down. But honestly, the characters are all appealing from what I’ve dug up, and I like how they’re sort of meshing the international excitement similar to Cars 2 with the unique and fun bunch of characters like Cars. Honestly, I think it’ll be more worthwhile than we think. Hey, it just has to make me laugh, cry a little, keep me interested through the entire film, and be satisfactory, and it’s likely I’ll enjoy it :slight_smile:

Okay, maybe I’m just a crazy person, but this looks better the more I see it. The PG rating surprised me! Neither of the Cars films are rated PG in the U.S. This makes me think this will be something that adults can enjoy too. It will probably have edgy humor along the lines of Wreck-It Ralph (not saying it will be as great as that film although it might be) as opposed to the DreamWorks style. I wasn’t sure about seeing this in theaters at first, but since my family wants to and my interest has increased, I will. And if we don’t like it, we don’t have to buy it when it comes out on DVD! The way I see it, I pay for every good film I’ve ever seen twice, once in theaters and once on home video.

And also, a couple of famous voices we may have heard before will be in it. Hopefully that’s a good thing:

Stacy Keach reprising his role as Skipper from “Air Mater”, who also narrated The Pixar Story
Brad Garrett as Chug, who also played Dim in A Bug’s Life, Bloat in Finding Nemo, and Auguste Gusteau in Ratatouille
Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Rochelle, who also played Atta in A Bug’s Life
Roger Craig Smith as Ripslinger, who also played Sonic the Hedgehog in Wreck-It Ralph
John Cleese as Bulldog, who also played the narrator in Winnie the Pooh
Carlos Alazraqui as El Chupacabra, who also played numerous characters including…Taco Bell Chihuahua!
Brent Musburger reprising his role as Brent Mustangburger from Cars 2
Grey DeLisle, who played Penny’s Mom in Bolt and numerous other roles
Rob Paulsen, famous voice actor
and John Ratzenberger as a pitty, Pixar regular

Even though I usually try to not watch too many promotional videos and trailers for movies prior to seeing them, I’ve been tanking up on the ones for Planes a lot (Heheheh… vehicle puns :stuck_out_tongue: ). Like LQ said, the more I see out of it the more I like it. I find myself unable to stop quoting some of the funniest lines as of late (“…Like fresh fertilizer on dead grass.” Is it weird I think that’s hilarious?) and I really really like the colorful character lineup. I have a good feeling that this film’s going to surprise me :slight_smile: Just gotta wait two more weeks…

[Comment Removed]

Dont blame the reviewers, this is all on Disney. They put out a sub par movie and this is how people respond. Should have left it as a direct to tv movie, people would have been much more forgiving that way.

I don’t defend Disney because I think they’re flawless, I defend them because I see the films and there really is nothing bad in the ones I like. To put stipulations on direct-to-video or theaters is also too much, I believe a person is supposed to judge a film as a film, not based on where it was released. I’d rather they not review a film they already expect to hate, that way, we can get honest opinions from people who were interested. Really sorry, but I don’t agree.

Maybe I just think Rotten Tomatoes is held on this high pedestal when I instead believe it got to the point where I think it should be completely ignored.

I won’t have any opinions on the film itself until I watch it, but I tend to think the critics might be onto something on this one.

And, anyway, they are in all their right to judge a film, since that’s their work.

This site has always been too biased against reviewers, with fandom as the only real reason.

Yes, I will blame those who were too harsh. They didn’t have to love it or REALLY like it. But they’re biased in thinking it’s only for kids. John Lasseter and the team constantly say they make movies for everyone, the Cars and Planes franchise are not an exception. Some of the stuff said was just a bit too rude, but then again, a lot of them have always been with this franchise.

I wouldn’t call them automatically wrong, I think some just miss the point of a movie sometimes and don’t seem to care. We’re all in our own right, including the audience. Plus, I hate grouping them all together as “the critics” as there are some that I think consistently bring up good points and flaws. I accept critical opinions, but why do they have to be held at such high esteem, sometimes higher than the audience’s opinions? All I mean is, I hope most people don’t rely solely on them.

And I’m in my right to judge their judging, because that’s my work. I never said they couldn’t, so I’m sure you should be okay when I criticize them back. It’s no different, we’re now on the same page. At least I’m not calling them rude names.

Also, fandom might be the only reason for some bias against reviewers - and not all of them - but my other main reason is that I think the filmmakers sound more honest about the film they made more often than not. The filmmakers are supposed to be criticizing their own film along the way after all. While I regret bringing this topic back up, I thought my opinion mattered too, but I’m not offended by what anyone here had to say, either. Anyway, back to positivity…

Its almost impossible to completely remove yourself from all expectations, so when a movie is released to theaters there is a certain level of expectation because your paying a hefty price for that ticket, especially if its a 3D ticket. Its also a spin off of a Pixar franchise which automatically implies it’s of a certain quality.

Rotten Tomatoes, while not fool proof by any means does mean something because it measures the general consensus. If you dont care about the general consensus, fine. You can say the only opinion that matters is your own, and to a certain extent that is true. But you think the studios don’t care when their film is generally not well received? I guess the higher eps don’t if they can still make a butt load of profit in ticket and toy sales. But that’s also where a lot of people animosity is coming from toward the franchise.

I have no problem with people hating on Armond White and similar trolls on Rotten tomatoes, but when the vast majority weigh in and its still negative you have to come to terms with the fact that the average critic didn’t like it. The same might turn out to be true of the general public.

I got to see it today for my birthday, and what do I think about it? Ahhhhh I looove it!!! I don’t get why it’s getting all this flack, but it was perfectly original, very funny, heartwarming, exciting and entertaining, and has a great cast of characters! No flaws I can name! Call me a heathen if you will, but it’s just as good as the Cars films, in my opinion. Bring on the sequel!! I’ll be there! Oh gosh it was so awesome X3

I loved the movie!

[spoiler]I thought it had characters sort of similar to the Cars movies. Not exactly the same, though. Chug reminded me of Tow Mater. Skipper sort of reminded me of the older car in the first Cars. Ripslinger reminded me of the green car in the first Cars movie that had a similar personality. It also had the same international feel as Cars 2.

I have to admit that I like Dusty a lot more than Lightning McQueen. I thought Dusty was more likable and wasn’t so full of himself at first like Lightning, especially how he honored Skipper for helping him in one of his interviews.

One thing I didn’t like is just my own issue, because I didn’t expect much for it. I would have
preferred seeing the bigger passenger jets having more of a role, since they are actually my favorite and the reason I like planes so much, but since they don’t race, I didn’t expect much.

Actually, they did more than I thought they would. There was one scene where Dusty (I think) compliments one of them on his paint job, and when the jet’s helper thought he was talking to him, he said “I think he was talking to me.” I felt so blessed to have one of them actually talk. :smiley:

I heard about an American Airlines ad with the characters of Planes, and that a big AA jet named Tripp is in it, but I’m not sure if he’s the same one who spoke in the actual movie.

I also loved how they showed a lot of cars, so you can relate it to being one world of vehicles. I especially liked Brent Mustangburger being in it, partly because he was in the Cars movies, and also because Mustangs are my favorite cars.[/spoiler]

It’s not the movie’s fault, but it’s just that it took me a little getting used to these characters. What’s different between this spin-off and others is that other spinoffs like Tinker Bell and Puss in Boots star a character you already know and show you another side of their world from their viewpoint. Here, it’s the same world but with people you don’t know yet. What’s more, the movie kind of jumps into these characters, so you might be trying to figure them out as you go along.

There wasn’t anything about this movie I didn’t like, but it sort of didn’t feel completely like Cars at first, because like I said, I didn’t know these characters. After about 20 minutes though, I felt comfortable enough with them. The middle and second half I thought was more interesting because you knew the characters better, I think that’s what people will like the most.

The first 20 minutes or so may not be quite as interesting as the rest of it, but I think that’s the time we need to spend trying to figure out the characters. The good news about that is that most of them are very nice.

So I like it, but I’m frustrated because I think the overdone dislike for this film helped ruin my first viewing yet again. It’s not that I think all people should really like it, I don’t. I just think it’s a little ridiculous to have your mind made up to hate something innocent like this ahead of time, because that’s exactly what happens. So I think I will like it more a second time, hopefully almost as much as the Cars films because at the moment, I like those ones a bit more.

I don’t recommend to anyone who didn’t want to see it, please avoid it. If you don’t want to see it, you’re probably not going to like it, you probably have your mind made up, and you can skip. However, if you think you want to give it a shot and think it could be okay, go ahead. You’ll probably be fine with it, even if you just see it once. But I like it, and I’m sure I’ll probably like it a lot more a second time.

I edited this so that people could understand I mean no offense.