So whats the next hand-drawn(2D) film?

With Winnie the pooh being finished, I have to ask this on here. We know for a fact that after Princess and the frog was released we’d get a 2D animated film every two years. Two years after Princess we get Winnie the pooh. But it seems the future set of Disney films are in CG. So does anyone know what the next 2D film from Disney is?

I do know for a fact that they had two 2D films planned but they were both canceled. Which were The Snow Queen and Mort.

You mean what’s their next film? It’s Wreck-It Ralph followed by possibly King of the Elves.

I m talking about the next hand-drawn animated feature(2D). I think I should have been more clearer in my first post.

Yeah, I think you should of said the next hand drawn film. I herd Ralph is supposed to be in CGI but I’m not positive. King of the Elves not too sure about. Mort or Discworld I think will probably be hand drawn and that could come out in 2014.

Mort and Discworld are the same thing, its just that Mort is the name of the book that the series is part of. I know for a fact that the project is dead because Disney couldn’t afford the rights to the book.

There’s been talk of a Mickey Mouse feature film, so there’s that if it happens.

I don’t know for sure if that film will be CGI or hand drawn. I’m gonna guess it’ll be hand drawn.

In my mind it would have to be hand drawn, and I have a good feeling that Disney would feel the same way. I mean the new Winnie the Pooh film was 2D (and so was that Goofy short How to Hook Up Your Home Theater), so that kind of proves that they must not want to do a Mickey film unless it can be in 2D.

It could work. Besides, John Lasseter I think wants to bring back hand drawn animation. I can’t see it in CGI unless it’s like the animation on the Mickey Mouse show on the Disney Channel. I don’t think the studio felt confident with hand drawn films since Home on the Range, Brother Bear and Treasure Planet were failures.

I personally think the lesson they should have learned from the failure of all three of those movies is that they were not particularly good movies either. It doesn’t matter if it’s handdrawn or not. If the story’s not up to par, then of course it won’t connect with audiences. That’s the thing that Disney should have learned here.

Well, people were kind of getting tired of Disney repeating itself with alot of their films at the time which was why The Renaissance started to go downhill with Pocahontas. Hercules I think grossed the lowest out of any of the films in The Renaissance.

It did, although part of the reason why is because Hercules struck me more as an Aladdin wanna-be instead of something unique. The subsequent Mulan was a much better film (and that earned more than Hercules) and Tarzan wasn’t half bad either. Don’t get me wrong, though, I DID admire Pocahontas for trying to be unhappily ever after, just found it to be flawed, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame is grossly underrated, one of my personal favorites from the studio.

I agree. Hunchback is my second favorite film from that era only behind Lion King.

What do those movies have in common? They were geared towards boys to the exclusion of girls. It seems Disney has not learned its lesson. Wreck-It Ralph WILL flop. It is a movie made for boys, and Disney can’t make a successful movie like that. Plus they’re rushing it…it wasn’t supposed to come out till 2013, and now it’s coming out next year.

King of the Elves is the next cel animated movie. It is weird to say “hand-drawn” since these films you call hand-drawn are created using the CAPS computer system. Cel animation is a more correct term, because it does not contradict the fact that these films are not actually done by hand anymore.

Call me crazy but I think those three films deserved to flop. It’s simple, they got bad reviews and were marketed horribly. Not too sure on Wreck-It Ralph since I don’t know when it got first announced. It reminds me of an idea that Disney had canned a while back called Joe Jump.

Are you sure that KING OF THE ELVES is “traditionally animated”? I thought it was going to be CG. Either way, I hope Disney doesn’t stop with their 2D animation, although John Lasseter and Ed Catmull have yet to pull the plug on it, which I doubt they will.

Excuse me? Are you saying that just because the film has a male protagonist and is about video games, it’s for boys? Since when do girls pay no interest to games?

I must be a very weird girl then, preferring Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie over make-up! :stuck_out_tongue:

King of the Elves was shelved.

I wouldn’t say that it was shelved. It’s still going on at Disney but they don’t know when it’s coming out. Unless they cancelled it recently and I just didn’t know about it.

I looked it up. We were both right in a sense. I didn’t know that it’s status had changed.