Super 8

Fair enough. I personally don’t have any expectations for Super 8, neither bad or good. I was just saying that a composer of Pixar scores is a nice asset, but does not affect the film quality much.

Obviously, Cars 2 is going to rock Super 8 outta here! I was pretty sure it wasn’t going to be all that great, but what surprised me the most was that Steven Spielberg was executive producer for it!

It might not be bad, but still, Sucker Punch may be worth a try, but i’m still a little dismayed by the fact that they have an almost perfectly abridged version of the Big Daddy!

The Super 8 full trailer is now online:

comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75138

it looks pretty good!!! :slight_smile:

I want to see Super 8 so bad now!! I’ll probably go opening day…which I almost never do for movies (only Pixar ones for the most part)

I am doing a full-scale media blackout of Super 8. Back when I was a kid and the Beard still made these sorts of films you’d only ever hear the premise and maybe a few mysterious clips and hints until pretty much opening day. Now you get a deluge of everything you could’ve ever possibly wanted to know about a film almost immediately after they’re announced.

Well, not for me. Not this time. I have no problem with today’s culture of spreading information about upcoming films. As you know I’m an active participant in that scene. It’s how I make my money, figuratively (for the time being). But it wouldn’t be so bad to turn back the clock and be genuinely surprised by a film. And I’ve chosen this one.

Although my temptation to view the current trailer is great, I must remain strong. I must not give in. I just want all that Abrams/Spielberg/Giacchino goodness to wash over me once May comes around.

I suggest that all of you choose a film too. Just don’t look anything up about a film you’re eagerly anticipating until you go and watch it. See if it makes for a better experience or not. What can it hurt?

The new Super 8 trailer is awesome, I can’t wait to see this opening day in IMAX

You posted!! :mrgreen: I’m so happy. I thought you were “done”.

I’ll “drop in” every once in a while

So I guess this is sort of the official “Super 8” thread, then?

Anyway, we’re now just a month away from release. I’m also going to try and do a blackout from any new clips they release. I’m proud to say the only footage I’ve seen is from the trailers and the Super Bowl ad. I just hope this can find a decent audience being sandwiched between two superhero films.

I accidentally read a really big spoiler the other day. I’m trying to get it out of my head :confused: But it’s a pretty good spoiler, so… :stuck_out_tongue:

Epic new TV Spot:
[url]J.J. Abrams' SUPER 8 TV Spot - /Film Exclusive - YouTube
Someone on this topic posted “I dont know or care for Super 8” Which made me kinda mad, I respect you don’t care about it, but give it a chance. Don’t just be all like “Ooooh some movie called Super 8 that’s not a Pixar movie so I don’t give a crap about it” Just saying

I have a feeling the two new trailers for Super 8 are misleading. They make the movie seem like it’s a horror movie.

Yeah, the new direction the marketing is taking is concerning me. Everything I’ve heard about the production so far has indicated that the horror elements are marginal if they exist at all. I don’t want this movie’s box office performance to be compromised by complaints of misleading advertising.

Could an administrator please change the topic name to “Super 8”? P

I’m pretty sure you can do it yourself, can’t you?

I’m on it!

reviews seem to be positive so far for Super 8,

I just got back from seeing it in IMAX and it was great! The acting was great, the creature looked great, the movie was just, you know, great!
8/10

First thing I wanna say is that it felt REALLY GOOD to see an IMAX film without 3D glasses. It’s been so long that I can’t remember the last film I’ve seen in IMAX that wasn’t 3D. Now on to the movie. As I’m sure you all know by now, JJ was heavily influenced by Spielberg while making this movie, and it shows. I gotta say, no matter how many times I see those Spielberg shots with children, where the camera is up close on their faces, and they have that look like their star struck or something, it always gets to me. It always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I always regress when I see those shots. They never get old. One of the most amazing things about this film for me is that it captured being a kid, and doing things with your friends so well. I never made movies with my friends growing up, and I didn’t grow up in the 70’s. But while watching this movie, I had a lot of flashbacks of the “adventures” my childhood friends and I had growing up. I thought all of the actors were great. I loved the suspense and I loved how this really wasn’t the kind of movie the finale two trailers lead audiences to believe before it came out. And I loved the score. But I couldn’t help but think about some of Giacchino’s other work while it played during the movie. Some of the score for some of the scenes filled with danger reminded me of the batlle between Carl and Charles at the end of up. But some of it, at the beginning filled me with child like wonderment. Truth be told, I enjoyed Super 8 more than Close Encounters. It had all of the Speilberg stables from his early films, but it was more exciting.