The Dark Knight Rises

I just watched ‘The Lion King Rises’. Brilliant!

That’s actually pretty cool! What were some of the points that you made in your essay?

Break a leg! Or, in Catwoman’s case, a wrist.

Yeah, that’s what I told him! I’m sooo glad Hathaway pulled the role off (at least in my eyes).

One of my favourite scenes was when they were walking Catwoman past a line of leering prisoners and one of the wardens asks his colleague if Catwoman can take care of herself. Hathaway’s character could’ve just punched a mook or spit a wisecrack to demonstrate her pluckiness to the audience, but she not only taunts and breaks a poor prisoner’s wrist, she does a blooming somersault! That really took me by surprise, and the whole audaciousness of it (and how quickly she or her stunt double pulled it) gave me the biggest laugh for the entire film.

I’m curious to read that, too, LQstudiesPixar! You can upload it here if it’s not too long.

The Dark Knight Rises has ended up being one of my favourite movies of the year, probably among the Top Five. I had the opportunity to watch it in IMAX and the opening plane extraction sequence (along with many others) was spectacular. I seriously considered attending a marathon IMAX screening of the Nolan trilogy many months later, but when I showed up, the darn cinema did not open its hall due to technical difficulties. I and a lot of disgruntled customers had to leave our phone numbers and return when they fixed it, so I wandered over to another mall. When they finally fixed it an hour and a half later, I couldn’t be bothered to walk all the way back (and it would’ve cost me $50, which I spent on something else instead).

But all in all, this is a movie that truly lived up to my expectations, and a rousing finale to the Bat’s journey. I look forward to getting the Blu-Ray for it, since it’s out now. I’ll probably write a detailed review in the future too.

Also, that Lion King mash-up trailer is sweet! Some of the parts, like Zazu as Alfred and Nala as Catwoman, really fit well! I actually got a chill when Scar says the “You have my permission to die” quote, Tom Hardy would make a great replacement for Jeremy Irons (although Irons for most of us would be the Scar that we remember).

One of my close YouTube fans made an incredible one for Rio and dedicated it to me, have a watch (spoilers for Rio within):

The Cerulean Knight Rises - 2nd trailer

The series is great for academic analysis.

Or final thesis at the university included extensive analysis of both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. In fact, it analysed all 7 feature films directed by Nolan to that date (which means it ended by Inception, as the Dark Knight Rises was far from completion at the time).

Specifically, it centred on Nolan’s use of the theme of guilt in all his film. A shame we couldn’t include his last effort.

So the movie is out, been out for a while, I got it on Blu-Ray. What did you all think of it? I thought it was pretty good, not as good as The Dark Knight but still pretty good. I’m not sure if I like The Dark Knight Rises or Batman Begins more.

I think Batmin Begins is definitely a better film than The Dark Night Rises. There was just so much that didn’t work for me in the third entry.

I like all three, and it’s a close call.

But I’d say it’s TDR for me (and today). Batman Begins was an incredibly innovative film for its genre, but even so, it’s much more conventional than its sequels.

I think the best way to appreciate either of them, though, is as a trilogy in conjunction with the other two.

That sounds absolutely facinating! What a great idea for a thesis.

Now that I have all three of the movies, I plan to soon watch all of them. I haven’t really seen Batman Begins recently, and I saw the midnight premier of TDKR, and I’m sad to say I feel asleep during it. (No fault to the film, it was mainly my tiredness).

So I’m excited to watch the whole series.

Essay removed

Honestly, to me, Bane just felt like a second movie villain. They should’ve used him in the second, and then saved The Joker for the grand finale.

The finale required for Batman [spoil]to be defeated physically[/spoil], so Bane fitted the bill perfectly.

Anyway, I would agree if Bane hadn’t been charismatic, but I think he was. A lot.

^This is a perfect point.

Is it bad to say I think this series is over rated?

No, it is not bad. It could be interesting to know why you think so, if you want to share it.

I don’t hate the series, I think it’s good. I just don’t think it dererves “Best super hero triolgy”. I always found the original Spiderman films better. Mabey I huess like the goofyness more. I do like how it is more serious and some good actors like Heath Ledger. I was looking forward to Amazing SpiderMan much more the Dark Knight Rises. It’s a good trilogy, but noot my taste i guess. It us better then Batman and Robin though.

I attempted to watch this last year when it was on G4. I got about 20 minutes into it, and I couldn’t take anymore of it. It’s THAT bad!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Pixarfan!

Anyway, I think you gave reasons why you personally like other films better than those, not why they’re overrated.

I do think they deserve every credit they’ve got, if not more. They way they changed how blockbuster films are made is remarkable.

I have sentiments similar to David’s. I don’t hate the movies, but they aren’t really my taste. I can see that they’re good, but there are versions of Batman, and other series as well, that I find much more interesting.

I think I might re-watch these soon. I like them. Maybe it’s just because my dad is a big fan, but I also think they’re good films. The last two felt PG-13 to the fullest extent, but that was okay. Even my younger sister likes to watch them. In terms of the series, I kind of think it is a perfect trilogy; it was consistent yet it advanced the stakes each time.

Me too, I have all three and I’ve been meaning to watch them.

While I like this film series, it infuriates me when people talk about this being the way Batman is meant to be, because it is quite different in tone to the early Batman comics. I also dislike when people talk about them being ‘realistic’ films, when they have many ‘unrealistic’ aspects.