The Definitive Pixar In-Jokes List

Welcome to the forums Oscarfan!

rachel, I feel like a bit of a dork now, I just noticed you posted about the Up topic, and I just posted everything I know about it. I’ll move my post or change whatever if it’s a problem, I probably should have looked around for something like that first. Don’t wanna ruin anything. Sorry :\

Here’s a picture of the In-Joke I posted earlier. I don’t have Toy Sotry, so I can’t make a comparison shot.

It’s crazy how many references Pixar puts into their films.
That’s for the list!

I don’t know if sounds are a part of in-jokes, but I’m a fan of animation sound design, so…

In Monsters, when Sulley lifts the cube of Trash up for Mike to see, two things:

one, it’s the same as the ones in WALL·E,
and two, the sound that plays when the little lamp that Boo had as part of her costume (As an eye) makes the Luxo noise.

The sound effect in knick knack when Nick the snowman blows up his house with dynamite, the same whoosing noise is used several times in Finding Nemo.

I’d be more specific, but… it’s midnight. sorry.

There’s a grape soda bottle cap in A Bugs Life in the bar where Flik meets the troupe. I’ll grab a screenie when I have time.

Unless someone said it all ready, I read that on the Lightyear Tires in Cars, it says “Gamma Quadrant Sector 4” in really small print. I forget where I read it but I remember it! :smiley:

Lightning McQueen’s number (95) is also the same license plate tag number on Andy’s mom’s van which is the same year Toy Story was originally released.

I noticed during our last movie night, the bottle cap in ABL isn’t exactly the same, but someone mentioned a grape soda can, it may or may not already be on here, I don’t remember

Is it just me, or does the rainbow ring-stacking toy that Billy teethes…:

…look identical the one that shows up in the backgrounds of Andy’s room?:

And it looks like it shows up again for the last time in Toy Story 2 on the dusty top shelf in Andy’s room. It’s missing pieces (and the rings don’t seem to be colored the same) and both children have now outgrown it, so it ends up in the yard sale and we never see it again:

:smiley:

Also in A Bug’s Life, next to A113, it says 1195, a reference to the month and year Toy Story came out, November, 1995.

Spotted this in Wall-E, there’s a Rex figure in the trailer.

Timestamp in the NTSC DVD, 6:17

Luxo is a pharmaceutical company in Up.

And…you may notice L 415-72 at most of the trucks and construction transport in the movie Up: It’s Lou Romano (sigh)'s birthday.

3 viewings in one day is well worth it.

Yup, I knew about all those. You can see the first one you mentioned [spoil]just after the montage, next to the clock.[/spoil]

I don’t think we’re supposed to mention Up in-jokes yet though chef, I had a large, spoiler covered post earlier in this topic, and it covers most of them. Thanks though! I didn’t have Lou’s b-day in there, but I knew about it.

Yeah, I think I shouldn’t post Up info as much as I can.

Thanks for everyone who has posted any in-jokes. I’m way behind in updating this list, but rest assured you’ll be credited. You can post Up in-jokes here if you want, I’ll just add them after the DVD release. :wink:

In TS2, after Buzz leaves Woody and Woody turns to the TV, there’s a Dr. Catmull’s Root Beer can.

Hey guys, one for Ratatouille, referring to Up, (really light spoiler, not even sure it’s worth a warning)[spoil] the dog who barks at Remy when he’s running around the apartments/tubes to get the the roof and see Paris is Dug. The silhouette is unmistakable when you pause it.[/spoil]

Yep. Saw it. And there’s no need to spoil. I think everyone already knows who is Dug. :slight_smile: Thanks for posting that! :slight_smile:

Ah, yeah, I noticed that Dug silhouette too. Wonder why I didn’t post that here sooner. :laughing:

It was almost like a Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins moment: “I’d know that silhouette anywhere…”

I don’t know if this has ever been brought up, I"ve looked through the Ratatouille topic, and didn’t see anything about it, and this topic is rather long, so…

I don’t have an EXACT timeframe for this one, and the Blu-Ray player is in the Living Room, and I can’t quite use it for investigative purposes since my parents use the TV often, but when Remy first enters Gustaeu’s, and is trying to get out through the window, there’s a part where I THINK Remy hides near some pans to avoid being spotted.

I believe that there were two pans lined up that he ducks near, and the one on top says “RA”. This seems like it would be a reference to someone who worked on the film, but I"m not quite sure who. I don’t know the Pixar staff well outside the Director’s.