The Traitor Game Application/Discussion/Enquiries Thread

Welcome to The Traitor Game Discussion Thread!

This is where you can find out more about the game, including details, character history, roles, future ideas, and more.

In review, if you have any questions or commentary about the Traitor Game, this it the place to post.

This should not turn into a chat thread. Feel free to talk about whatever aside from all that but please keep in mind that Traitor Game discussion is the main focus of the thread.

General Information:
How do I sign up? By posting about your interest in participation of the game in this thread.

How does the game work?

1. When a game is set to begin, there must first be a Sign-Up Thread. In it, all prospective players post to express interest and choose what character they want to role play as. Some games want characters to fit to a specified theme, so be sure to read carefully before making a character selection.

For the first game, let us start with a Pixar-themed game, first, just to get you familiar with things. In other words, all characters have to be originated from Pixar productions; that includes features (movies), short films, etc.

1. The game thread proper is created, normally with a clever title. “The Traitor Game: Massacre on the Doorstep (not a real title)!” There, the rules for the game are reiterated and the characters are gathered.

2. Soon, a round starts, and the Traitor(s) strike(s), killing off one character. Frequently, the first kill is some character that was controlled by the host of the game (commonly referred to as a First Kill NPC). This is done to allow those who signed up more time to play the game. The banished and dead can usually interact with those still alive through means defined in-game.

3. Within the voting phase (of the same round), the Agent(s) privately send(s) in their guess for that round, while the Players publicly announce their guess and thus, vote for the character they feel who might possibly be (one of) the Traitor(s).

4. Rinse and repeat steps 3-5 at the next round until the Traitor(s) is/are found or all other characters end up dead.

ROLES
Roles are assigned by the host after the Sign-Up Thread is closed, but before the first kill.

Main roles:
Traitor–A character working to kill off members of the larger group. When more than one Traitor is included, each one works with the other to determine who dies and by what means.

Agent–A person in this role is allowed one guess per round to determine who is a Traitor. This is done by PMing the host of the game. The results of their guess (whether they guessed correctly or not) are revealed in-thread. An Agent will be given three clues (privately through PMs) regarding the true identities of the Traitor(s). If a game has more than one Agent, the Agents act as a team. They confer on the guess and submit that guess to the host.

Vigilante–A force for the side of Good, the person in this role works to kill who they think is a Traitor. Every few rounds, the person in this role kills instead of the Traitor(s).

Breaker–Sometimes, this role is assigned so that if there is a tie during the voting rounds, this person will get an extra vote to break the tie.

Note: The above names provided are the “base” names. For each individual game, they may be given a different name that better suits the theme, setting, etc.

Players–Otherwise known as “Civilians,” they shall be slaughtered off one by one per round until they find out the true identity(ies) of the dangerous Traitor(s) and Vigilante(s).

What are NPCs?
NPCs are “non-playable characters.” In terms of the Traitor Game, they could more adequately be described as “non-player characters.” Essentially, these are characters that are brought into the game by a participant for some purpose, whether it be to provide some humor, do a brief aside with their character, provide someone new with which others can interact, etc. Some are there from the start, as supporting characters.

NPCs are not involved with the game itself, at least not in the same sense as the other characters gathered. They cannot vote. They can not have a role. If associated with someone who has a role (say Gurgle, an NPC, being the partner to Nemo, a Traitor), they can not aid in the function of that role. Therefore, NPCs are not allowed to kill, assist in killing, or reveal any inside information an Agent might possess.

Guidelines
NPCs–Non-Player Characters (or NPCs) should be limited. An NPC is any character included in the game that is not participating in the Traitor Game (therefore, not assigned any ‘roles’). There are plenty of characters with which to interact, so NPCs are not really needed for that purpose. NPCs can also be disruptive, depending on what they do. If you want to use an NPC, make sure it is for a good purpose. If you are unsure whether or not to use one, PM the game’s host.

God-Modding–No god-modding. Can the host really enforce that? Not really. But people will complain and you might be held in contempt. It is definitely not recommended to go against this guideline.

Communication–If you suspect you know the identities of Traitors or Agents, do not contact them privately for any reason. If you are an Agent, please do not reveal classified information after your death. In general, anyone can talk to others only for purposes of coordinating stories or story elements or even to discuss the game.

Quoting–When you want your character to reply to another character’s dialog, quote the dialog before your character’s reply. However, do not quote the entire post when your character is just replying to a portion of it. It will unnecessarily clutter up the page and sometimes, makes it difficult to follow your train of thoughts.

How do I go about choosing a player?
It might be best to choose a character you know a lot about or feel comfortable playing. Some games have themes, however. For example, the first game, as stated, will be an all-Pixar characters game. If there is a theme, just make sure to abide by it.

Do I have to change my avatar when I play?
You don’t have to change your avatar. Providing an image of your character somehow is appreciated, but not mandatory in any way.

Do I have to include a prologue for my character?
Some people like to have prologues to establish where in their character’s history they were pulled from. Also, it helps as a practice run for playing the character before the game actually starts, to get the voice down, if you will. But overall, prologues are by no means required.

Are there multiple storylines going on in one game? If so, how do you decide which to participate in?
Normally, there are multiple story lines going on, as various players introduce NPCs, cameos, and their own subplots. Sometimes they cross. Sometimes they don’t. But despite all that, the players are still united by the main story, the Traitor Game. You can choose to get yourself involved in any story line you wish aside from the Traitor Game, with a few exceptions, just note that sometimes you might interefere with what a player has in mind for that story.

What is the Traitor Game Award Show?
At the end of each game, an award show will be held as an additional entertainment in appreciation to the players who participated in the game. This is highly improbable, however, as the award meant for the show is an artistic portrait of the winners’ characters, which require artistic talents requiring scouting. Unless volunteers are available, this is merely a show without awards.

Dos And Don’ts
Dos

1. Write out an/ compelling prologue(s) for your character(s) describing events before his/her/their summon to the place of gaming (optional).
  2. Post your character’s(s’) summon into the location of the game.
  3. Creatively interact with other characters present at the venue till the commencement of the voting phase.
  4. Post character’s vote on the character he/she assumed to be the Traitor by having him/her announcing the name (in bold words).
  5. Have the character(s) continue interactions with characters and the participating character placing votes till the end of the game… or till the end of him/her.
  6. It is advisory to have a good sense of grammar and use accurate spelling when typing out posts.
  7. Keep your participating character staying vigilant, especially when among acquaintances.
  8. Slap yourself silly at least 10 times per reading of this thread.
  9. ???
  10. Give yourself another slap if you followed point 8.
  11. Be creative, but keep it under restrain.
  12. Respect the fellow gamers. Any ill-attitude gamers will be forbade from the game.
  13. I believe that I do not have to comment further on the seriousness of spamming. If you spam, I will condemn.
  14. OOC: Out of context. Usually used top mark a comment which is not meant for the RP but rather to the other players. Even though they are allowed in the game, try and keep them as minimum as possible; we have this thread and the PM system for conversations between gamers.

BIC: Back in context. This acronym is used after your OOC comment is finished, and it represents that the comments following the acronym was meant for the RP.

i.e.:
OOC: An example of how an OOC message is to be put.

BIC: And alas, he returns back in context, the crowd went wild.
15) Post actively, I do not really like it when an RP is dragged down by people not posting or in this case, not placing their votes early. So, anyone who does not place his/her vote after a determinate period of time will be forced to be kicked out of the game.
16) Have fun. Seriously. I am not here to judge whether if you spam, bunny other characters or break any rule at all; I just want to maintain a system where everyone can have a good time in the game. So go on, have fun. :wink:

Don’ts

1. No ‘bunnying,’ which means controlling other characters’ actions, speech, or any other aspects.
  2. No god-modding - making your character(s) omnipotent, able to stand against the host, defy him/her and thus, overthrowing the game. It also stands for the act of controlling the plot without authorization from the GM. If you have any ideas to make the plot more interesting, you must run it by him/her first. 3)Mary-Sues/Gary-Stus’ are not welcomed. They are all round perfect characters, meaning they have no defects. These are not forbidden but they are frowned upon. Do try to make your characters a bit realistic, even for a Pixar-themed Traitor Game.
  3. No profanities and ‘adult-oriented’ subjects obviously.
  4. NPCs are not to place their votes as they are not allowed to participate in the game; only the 1 participating character you have can do that.
  5. Don’t… be intimidated by this set of rules. It’s standard procedure where I come from. :slight_smile:

That is all the information I am able to provide as of now, I will fill you in on the voting system and the specifics of the roles provided to characters at a later time. If you have any enquiries, please feel free to drop them here and I will make my attempt in answering them. Otherwise, simply post your interest in joining this game and which Pixar character you would like to play as now.

I’m intrested in playing. Hopefully, this game gets approved by PV. My first character of choice will be Violet Parr. My second choice is Helen Parr. If both are taken, tell me, and I’ll provide a third choice.

Wow sounds sophisticated…i’ll still join though.

What exactly do i need to do to start other then pick a character?

My choice for character would be Frozone, Woody, or Buzz.

I have heard of this game before in the past, although I’ve never actually taken part in it. However, I’m willing to give this round a shot. It sounds quite interesting. I’m intrigued. :wink:

I also hope that this game is approved by PixarVixen. In the meantime, I call dibs on Remy.

– Mitch

Well I would put my dibs on playing Randall, but I’m a little inexperienced in these games. What exactly IS the Traitor Game basically? Is it a form of Clue kind of?
So one or a couple of the players are the killers, a few are the hunters for the killers, and the rest are fodder?

Well, to best explain it, it is like the game of Mafia. I don’t know if you have ever heard of it, but it is really fun. So there is a Traitor and he decides which one of the agents he is going to kill. The Agents work together an try to guess who is the traitor before they all get killed. THe Vigilante is supposedly supposed to kill the traitor. It is a game of teamwork and deception.

Great…i know exactly how to play mafia.
So its mafia except that we PM the “manager” about stuff if we have that power.

What about civilians…do they get anything to do. And how do they get killed. (PM)

A couple of things.

First off, my apologies to PixarVixen for rudely stomp this thread into the forum without permission. Before I posted this, I noticed a couple of moderators passing by the message board and not replying to my request, so I went on in thinking that it would be okay with them if I post the game. I did not know PV was in charged of approving these things. Heh, my bad. :blush: So, go ahead and delete this if you find this to be unacceptable.

Secondly, you can only enter one character into the Traitor Game; the rest can only act as NPCs. Again, I do not mind if two to three characters are chosen per gamer; just make sure they do not disrupt the process of the game.

So, say that TSS’s first character choice is Violet and he enters her in the game while his second choice, Helen, can only be an accompanying NPC. Helen will be with Violet, but she (Helen) would not be participating in the game, merely just acting as a spectator, while Violet has all the abilities of a player (or civilian) - vote off characters she feels to be a possible Traitor, make accusations regarding the identity of the Vigilante, etc.

As for the other details of the game, including the method of killing that will be taken upon the players, I will update them in the next couple of minutes in the first post.

i think i’ll need to see it in action to truly understand it. But it looks really good.
Hopefully PV will let it slip by.

I have two suggestions for this game.

1. How about instead of kill, why not do kidnap?

2. I also suggest one more role to add to the mix, The Rescuer. After the Traitor picks someone to kill/capture, the Rescuer has only one chance to save he/she, and the way to do that is to correctly guess who the traitor wanted to kill.

I think I’ll just view for now. Maybe later I’ll join in. :wink:

I just read the instructions for like the fifth time and i think its settling in.

Okay…my character once we start is going to be (a secret)

Just one last question remains…how does one get killed/kidnapped without others knowing?

I just updated the “How does the game work?” section and the ROLE of the Agent, so be sure to check those two sections out.

As for TSS’ suggestions, that is not bad! I think I will fit that into the game as well (I’ll have to adjust the game to fit those suggestions later on, though).

JesusFreak - I’ll be waiting! The more the merrier!

Al-Bob - While the characters are asleep in their assigned dorm rooms, of course! :sunglasses: They will be gathered at one place, greeted by the host, assigned their respective rooms, turn in for the night, and that is when the Traitor(s) strike(s). Do not worry about the role of the Traitor, Agent, and Vigilante, yet, as I will explain further regarding them if this game is ever approved by PixarVixen first.

I am liking this because this is actually a well stuctured organized game. I hope we can get started on it soon.

Sounds more intriguing by the minute! That aside, I do have a question…

How exactly does this game play out? From the sound of it, it mirrors that of a mafia/mystery/“Who done it?” interactive activity. Will the game itself progress in a story-type fashion? In other words, will the game begin with a paragraph such as this:

“T’was the eve of the twenty-first of August in Metroville. Not a car horn sounded; not a body stirred, save the soft crunch of footsteps – the owner of these steps, moreover, belonged to that of a certain Violet Parr, whose midnight travels, normally so subtle and delicate, were punctured by trembles and shivers.”

Will the game play out in this manner, or are civilians (among others) simply killed off on the spot, allowing the game to continue until the Traitor is captured?

– Mitch

O_O" Dang, I should get you to write the story part of this game.

Yep, the game will begin in a story-telling manner, which is what makes the game more interesting than the other mafia/whodunit games - you never know what will happen between the character interactions!

You know, you are not too bad with the writing. If you are interested, Mitch, would you like to type out the story part of the game (as a scriptwriter of some sort)? I can tell you how I want the game to proceed, and you can type it out in your own fashion. Or you could assist me in managing the story lines as a vice GM (Game Master) if you find the job too tedious. Interested?

This sounds pretty interesting, and pretty complicated. :laughing: I think I might join JesusFreak in watching a round of this game play and then perhaps partaking next time.

We could always use an illustrator for the purpose of portraying the characters. Your artwork seems good. Interested in creating illustrations of the characters, lizardgirl?

I’m flattered, WBoon, and thanks for the invite, but I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to dedicate enough time to this to make it worthwhile. I’m meant to be cutting down on my internet hours as it is! :laughing: But there are plenty of other much more talented artists on the boards, so I’m sure you’ll be able to get someone else to help out. Sorry about that.

Aww, never mind then, it is alright. Thanks for considering the offer, anyway. :slight_smile:

So, how about that editing job, Mitch? :sunglasses: