The Ultimate Incredibles Sequel

I was going to withhold this for a little while longer till the completion of my Bolt/Incredibles short story, but time races against me and I simply could not afford to lose anymore of it. Therefore, I shall make this quick.

All Incredibles fans should know that Mr. Brad Bird did not desire for a sequel to The Incredibles, despite the overwhelming popularity, unless he attains an excellent plot, a tradition all Pixar filmmakers followed throughout the (near)13 years. So, here is the purpose of the thread: To thoroughly discuss the ‘formula’ and elements that would composite the ultimate sequel to TI. What I yearn for is the greatest Incredibles fan fiction ever created by the members of Pixar Planet forums; a combined effort, you could say, similar to a typical crew of talents creating a four-years masterpiece at Pixar. But, you are not required to participate in the story-creation process, hence the reason I post this here instead of the Fan Fiction forum.

This thread is meant for all Incredibles fans - and maybe the non-TI fans, too, if they feel interested - to discuss about what is their vision of an excellently made TI sequel, its appropriate title, plot, new characters, character developments, etc. What should be avoided and prevented; cheesy lines and corny dialogues are the most obvious examples.

So, with that, let the discussion on The Ultimate Incredibles sequel initiate! …That is, if the moderators do not feel this be an inappropriate thread. :slight_smile:

Now this is my kind of thread! I absolutely love the Incredibles and I would give anything to see a sequel.

Anyways, I don’t know what would be needed to make the ultimate sequel, but I can make a list of what I would want in a TI sequel.

I would like the characters to stay about the same age as we left off (or maybe one or two years older).

New characters: you can’t continue an adventure with out meeting new people. I think maybe a Super Hero (some one about Violet’s age) could come into play.

Relationships: Altogether, Violet and Tony had a total of about a minute and a hlf of screentime together. I think I would like to see how Viony hold up. Is Tony the dream guy that Violet always imagined? Or could he be a jerk, dumping her when he finds someone better?

I would like to see a little bit more of Violet, maybe give her her own fighting or rescue scene.

I believe that Brad should continue the use of mundane and incredible events.

I think the balance between action and slowed-down storytelling was pretty good. Maybe next time, I would like to see a little more action.

Villain: The villain I would like to see the Incredibles face is a dark character who is litteraly the face of evil. I want the villain to be so horrifing, you get kids screaming in their seats. I also want him to be merciless and cruel.

Location: In the Incredibles, we travel to the City, to a jungle, and to the suburbs. I wouldn’t mind if we return to those places again, but I would like it if we traveled to more places. If I had to chose, I would pick an underwater secret base for the villain.

Plots: Bob: Going through a mid-life crisis and getting older. Helen: having trouble accepting the fact that her kids are growing up and would have to let them go in order for them to grow and succeed (in the SUper world). Violet: Balance and priorities, having trouble doing well in school, finding time with friends (and possibly Tony), and balancing her hero work (night patrols, special missions), Dash: probably bully trouble and wanting to use his quickness to teach the bullies at his school a lesson.

That is all I can think of for now. I am sure I have a few more ideas in my head, I just can’t think of them at the moment.

Very interesting suggestions, The Star Swordsman, but do remember, even Mr. Bird had to let go of what he wanted in order to achieve greatness in the movie, the same applies with a good sequel. It is not what we would like, but what we could use in composing the not necessary perfect, but an excellently made movie sequel. In literal form. :)

[quote="The Star Swordsman":2wrupe7r]I would like the characters to stay about the same age as we left off (or maybe one or two years older).[/quote:2wrupe7r]
Yes, deterring from the original age presented in the movie could cause some unnecessary confusion. But, of course, it would be a little out of the realistic barrier if we just screw with Bob’s life every passing month of his life. I think at least one year - or about that length - would do, do you think so?

[quote="The Star Swordsman":2wrupe7r]New characters: you can’t continue an adventure with out meeting new people.[/quote:2wrupe7r]
Not true. Other great literature work involving adventurous journeys have managed to only replace the villains with new ones. The allies stayed the same.

[quote="The Star Swordsman":2wrupe7r]I think maybe a Super Hero (some one about Violet’s age) could come into play.[/quote:2wrupe7r]
Two words popped into my head; teen flick. :P That would be the last thing we would want to turn one of Pixar’s features into, though it is tempting. It is very tempting. :-\

Maybe a character development of Violet could be played out here with the aid of a new character. What do the others think about this?

[quote="The Star Swordsman":2wrupe7r]Or could he be a jerk, dumping her when he finds someone better?[/quote:2wrupe7r]
Something I should mention. As Tony Rydinger was coming down the steps near the movie’s ending, did anyone noticed the way he still nudged his head around, signifying his continuous yearn in charming the ladies? Heck, he could not even resist to flirt with Violet’s unnamed friend (with a nudge of his eyes) while he was talking to Parr. :-\

A twist in Tony’s character might bring some mature drama into play, but, if this be an actual movie, it might be too much for the kiddies.

[quote="The Star Swordsman":2wrupe7r]I would like to see a little bit more of Violet, maybe give her her own fighting or rescue scene.[/quote:2wrupe7r]
You seem to be quite the Violet fan, are you not? Yes, the adolescent does have her charm even I could not ignore. :) I was, at one time, thinking of creating a stand-alone outfit for her. Focusing on Violet might be… fun, but let’s not forget about the main characters, the parents now. ;)

[quote="The Star Swordsman":2wrupe7r]I believe that Brad should continue the use of mundane and incredible events.[/quote:2wrupe7r]
And I assume you feel all dealings with heavenly deities is a bad idea? :P

[quote="The Star Swordsman":2wrupe7r]I think the balance between action and slowed-down storytelling was pretty good. Maybe next time, I would like to see a little more action.[/quote:2wrupe7r]
Oh, yes, of course, but we would not want to spend an hour and a half watching Incredible landing his fist on somebody every ten minutes apart. :) The action sequences could be easily weaved in, but I feel the more significant focus is the plot.

[quote="The Star Swordsman":2wrupe7r]Villain: The villain I would like to see the Incredibles face is a dark character who is litteraly the face of evil. I want the villain to be so horrifing, you get kids screaming in their seats. I also want him to be merciless and cruel.[/quote:2wrupe7r]
Okay, first of all, kids screaming means drop in popularity of film due to parents’ concern of the filmmaker’s possible twisted childhood that led him wanting to scare children like so. :lol:

The villain being horrifying has to have a reason why he is so, and it is rather difficult to craft out a psychotic villain with a deep back-story. Most of them ended up in poorly made horror films; the few good ones are not that compelling either.

I think we should definitely bring villainy up a notch. However a villain we could actually respect this time? A villain with strong views and opinions that mattered with both our lives and those of the Supers.

As for the location, I feel that the city of Metroville was not thoroughly explored. We failed to see great portions of it, save the railway and a local bank. I think we could go into the deep roots of its name; Metro.

‘Metro’ has two definitions. One of which has been hinted as the accurate one; the subway. The other is actually written as metro-, as in a compound word. It could mean "measure," "uterus," or it could represent metropolis or metropolitan in other compound words.

You decide. :) But I would love to write out more scenes of Metroville, preferably those sights viewers of TI have not seen before. An '80s look of suburban lifestyle would be great, but we would need someone with the knowledge on that field.

I have to go, so I shall only post up to here for now. Discuss, contribute; all that jazz. :)

I like the idea of creating our own TI2 and seeing what it would look like…

I think that the villian should be someone like Syndrome only with more passion that kids could feel attached to and recognize as anger and pain. Syndrome was a weak villian who only wanted to get back at Mr. INcredible and the world for dissapointing him…sound weak?

The new villian would need some sort of major let down and a series of disappointments and revenge-seeking happenings to let kids feel how he feels. If you could do this the villian would be almost redemable by the audience…that would make them almost root for the villian until he uses that anger for the wrong way. Sorta like Mike Yogubian…only not as stupid as him. A majorly bad Mike Yagubian…like when he laughs and smiles…that would be perfect.

I’ll work on a short script for the villian and see what i can get…

Intresting counterpoints to my suggestions Dragon. In fact, I like it when people have mixed opinions about something like this. This sparks up discussion. I believe that we all can go into great detail agreeing and disagreeing of what to put in a TI sequel.

I don’t expect Brad Bird to put all of my suggestions into a sequel (if he plans to do one). But nothing wrong with starting out with something. I would be ecstatic if Bird would use one of my ideas, or characters, or stories.

Personally, I don’t think it needs a sequel in the form of a movie. I see The Incredibles as a movie kind of like Madagascar. I don’t think it was written with a sequel in mind, especially given the title of the sequel, but it was so wildly popular, that they made a sequel partially to please fans, mostly to make more money. Although Madagascar 2 was wonderful, it wasn’t necessary. I feel the same way about The Incredibles.

Now fanfiction, on the otherhand, is the place where sequels should be explored, exploided, and ex-something else. If the sequel is only coming because fans want one, then they should write their own sequel. The fans are far more imaginative in their ideas for a sequel than the people who wrote the original with the end of the movie being the end of the story in their minds.

Other than that, I love the idea of an underwater supervillian and Helen having a hard time letting her kids grow up. Violet needs to be stronger; we got a glimpse of her new, confident self at the end of the movie, but it wasn’t enough to redeem her for all the other times that she was portrayed as weaker than her brother.

Sequel doesn’t sound like a word anymore.

When there are still available character development left to be explored, a sequel could always be a possible success; it is just the matter of telling the ‘right story.’ :wink:

In Toy Story, we saw that Woody has parts of his character yet to be explored, exploited, etc. Hence, a good story was available, and thus, an opportunity for a sequel is there. And seeing as that Violet and Dashiell Parr have portions of their characters yet to be explored (given their limited screen time), I am sure an ‘effective’ sequel could be worked out just as Toy Story 2 was. :slight_smile:

It seems like this underwater villain is kind of popular. :stuck_out_tongue: But, we should work on the villain’s personality first, what role he (or she) plays in the bigger picture. I think Pixar has enough share of their corny villains. Syndrome was mental - never really cheesy, so I think we should really bring out a serious villain this time, too.

I think that is quite a good exploitation we could take up. Helen, as Super as she might be, is just a mother worried about her family as the other members of it being concerned about her and the family, etc, though I feel there could be something different here we could really set out. Toy Story 2 had a much more different story line going than TS1, which eliminates the predictability of the plot.

Nevertheless, that sounds good because we never really got to see Helen as a motherly figure for long in TI1, so maybe we could explore something here.

Yes, it is definitely fantastic to see a strong character develop into a much more powerful (in terms of controlling her emotions) person. I think it would really be nice to see Violet large and in charge this time (not in a tempered, demanding way, but more in a rational, ‘wow, sounds like she knows what she’s talking about’ kind of way), kind of like Buzz in the sequel.

Yes, Violet definitely seems to be helpless in the movie. Maybe we could make her force field ability more offensive this time…

Oh, and my two cents on Dash. His character was not really explored. Sure, we saw him win the race, control his zest for showing off his powers, but I think we should really show a more mature side to him; maybe make him sound sensible to Violet for once. :wink:

But, all these could only be said so unless we actually came up with some sort of plot. While Al-Bob posts his ‘script,’ you guys could continue to pitch in ideas for the story as well. I think a love interest for Dash would work out as well. :slight_smile:

Well…i think uderwater would make the villian unacessable…hmmm. That would make him really good. Maybe his skin could be pale and colorless due to the amount of light he gets down in the deep of the ocean. He might even have control over the animals of the ocean…(hides inside laugh)…i’ll see what i can come up with that is (underwater, dark, and meanacing.)

What would you guys like to call our supervillian?
Should he have super powers?
and what should he wear?..i’m thinking a dark robe that extends from his head down to his feet. Then a suit underneath made up of thin metal plates and wiring to make his apendages super fast and flexible. His face and skin needs to be hiden to make sure nobody knows he has no color. He needs to almost be robotic like but only in human form.

I hate to be honest with you, but I feel the Supers should go up against some ‘real’ criminals this time, instead of crazy maniacs jumping around in their pajamas all the time. :laughing:

I think they should go up against mob bosses; what do you think?

Of course, we could always go with the evil ‘Namor’ the Sub-Mariner villain; but, again, as I said, avoid the cheese. :wink: We should not really affiliate the villain with robotic parts again.

I think we need a villain that does not appear to be very powerful, but yet has total manipulation over the Supers; something like The Joker from The Dark Knight, without the craziness, that is. :laughing:

I see…without the funnyness the joker would just be PG-13 Scary…sorta like Saw.
We need to thyink of a way to make our villian a controller of many, a human, maybe even a normal human with out of touch abilities but still with understandable problems that make him evil.

Boy…i need to think.

It’s just like you read my mind. :wink:

Well great minds think alike…

Now…we need someone;
evil
personal problems
not super or supernaturally built
i don’t know about gangs…they can be somewhat calm and non-exciting. Unless you had a ring of gangs or a system of higher ranks…that might make it exciting. Otherwise with superheros going after him it would be rather easy.

I like the idea of using Violet’s force fields as an offensice force instead of a defensive shield.

As for Helen, I bet we can show a growing concern for her children. I’m just worried that she might end up like Marlin from Finding Nemo.

For me? If I can’t have a completely evil villain so horrifying it wets the kids, I guess a villain that Al-Bob has mentioned would suffice.

I came across this cartoon sometime in the past, and they featured this villain that was just simply extraordinary.

Basically, he is a jewel thief with an egoistical attitude, challenging the Police forces everywhere as he swept through one jewel exhibition to another. Altogether, he cost the jewelry companies billions of dollars, and yet no one was able to catch him.

One thing about this guy that I like is that he has a great amount of charisma, so much so that he has earned himself fans amounting to the abovementioned losses. It would be interesting if Violet, as an ordinary girl, would gradually be reduced to a ‘fan-girl’ state as many teenage females have. She doesn’t have to be as crazy about this guy as the shallow girls had, but it would definitely create some spices if a relationship is to happen between the heroine and the villain.

Ahhh…i see. a fav. villian. Someone that has so much respect that he is almost idolized by the entire population. I think i could do something like that…

what would he look like?

What kind of underwater house should he have…i was thinking of an underwater chamber…basically glass circles that connect large complexes together. This would give him a view of the ocean as he sits down.

How will the population recognize him? There must be some sort of blog he uses…or a forum of some sort. That way whenever he updates people would watch for him and give him attention. Just so that people know what he is doing?

Should he have super powers at all? Even one super power would make him a true villian. I just can’t see our villian without super powers since it is a superhero’s film. Maybe he has the cover of darkness or something. That way when he gets into the shadows he disappears…

lol Al-Bob, just because The Incredibles featured superheroes does not classify it under a ‘superhero genre.’ Toy Story has toys, yet Sid Phillips’ dog was brought into play. Finding Nemo has fish, yet we have at least three different families of animals including fishes, birds and crustaceans.

As for making himself known worldwide, that is without a doubt effortless, all thanks to the media broadcasting news about his escapade 24/7. He acts almost like he is a celebrity; quite boastful, really. The tricks he used leave people dumbstruck. They ponder for days on, thinking about how he had slipped from the most skillful Police forces as if he was… a magician. No, a wizard.

He is very human, I will tell you that. No amount of superpowers could be found on him, which would make it more insulting that Supers with superhuman capabilities are unable to capture this guy. He treats their pursuits like games and challenges, toying around with the government like a juvenile child’s play.

I think we could work an underwater lair into the story; but he has to reside on ground so that we could really bring the landscape of Metroville city into action, thus allowing the ‘audience’ learn more about the outskirts of this urban jungle. Maybe we could have him return to the underwater lair after each heist of his, thus explaining why no one was able to discover his location.

But, this is just my opinion. I am sure we could work out something else to make the story better. Afterall, Pixar used four years to make a movie, why should we not do that same to craft the perfect story? :wink:

I think i see what you mean…i guess we don’t have to do a supervillian. We just need to make sure we don’t make him disavdantaged by the Parr family and by super powers. He needs to be able to get level or even through either brains or acts or lair.

Lets start him in the lair and post about his latest crime and the results of it…that way his fans could catch up on his progress. Then we let him go up to Metroville and rob the jewelry store…that would be a great introduction chapter for the entire story.

For a super villian in a probable TI sequel, what would be his ideal motive for doing what he does?

Hatred against something or someone…possibly a group that has done him wrong. Possibly the world for not letting him get what he wants or making him suffer uncontrollably. He needs to get the viewers compassion and “ahh…that’s really sad.” Something one could almost identify with.

Maybe he has suffered greatly through the youth of his life and right when he gets the break he wanted it all goes away due to some governmental program or group. Then he sets out to design stuff to get back at those people and uncovers a great discovery. He sells the discovery for millions of dollers and helps build himself a hide-away to hide in for the rest of his life…

Al-Bob, that is a good suggestion, but remember. This very description can be connected with Syndrome. I think maybe steering away from the motive of revenge would be a good idea. Maybe something more original.