things that freaked you out as a kid

Off the top off my head, there were a couple of scenes from animated movies that freaked me out as a kid:

The nightmare sequence in The Brave Little Toaster with the freaky clown and the toaster ‘dying’ a horrible death by water immersion.

Hercules decapitating the many-headed Hydra, only for a new head to sprout out in his first of the Twelve Labours. Man, that scene with the storm and the scary-looking faces was terrifying!

Ursula’s death by ship bowsprit impalement in the Little Mermaid. Again, the stormy weather and that blood-curdling scream was scary!

The mutant toys’ appearance in Toy Story. Besides the fact that they were disturbingly made from cannibalized toy parts, they looked as if they were going to kill Buzz at first! I was particularly frightened of Babyface, Legs and RollerBob. Gawsh, I didn’t stop crying even when Woody realises they weren’t evil after all!

There are maybe lots more, but these are the few I can remember at the moment. :smiley:

TDIT: Oh my gosh… I remember that scene from the Brave Little Toaster!!! :open_mouth: That is another piece of my childhood right there… I loved those movies. I used to be scared of that machine that crushed cars. :laughing:

Whenever there was a really bad thunderstorm, we had this extremely old smoke detector at the end of the hall in my old house (all 4 of us used to sleep upstairs), and whenever lightning would strike, the smoke detector would make this really loud “click!!!” noise (I don’t know any other way to describe it), but I’ll tell you right now, that scared the crap out of me. I always dreaded thunderstorms because of that stupid smoke detector, and I didn’t like going downstairs to my parent’s room because I was afraid the thing would make that noise when I went by. haha.

Yeah, different parts from different movies used to freak me out, but I couldn’t name them all off the top of my head.

Yikes…don’t remind me of that scene…

That clown was absolutely SCARY!!! Like the worst clown i’ve ever scene.

And that magnetic machine was freeky…it just glided…glided…and got them!!!

From what I can remember I was a fairly uneasy child and found myself creeped out by things that had no right creeping me out.

Two things in particular stick out…

The first was from an old disney sing along video that took place at the haunted mansion, rather embarrassingly. Here is a video

(it’s not creepy at all, by the way) youtube.com/watch?v=D_Nbc8iNbY4

The second was an old Warner Bros cartoon called “Hollywood steps out” I generally found it too unsettling as a child to even make it all the way through. Again, nowadays it doesn’t seem so bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=xOKsb07rgms

I used to be a Disney sing-a-long freak when I was a baby. I had just about every one of those imaginable! :smiley: Anyways, my mom didn’t let me watch the Haunted Mansion part when I was little - she thought it would scare me. :laughing: My little brother used to be terrified of the Grim, Grinning Ghosts song from the Haunted Mansion when we went to Disney a few years back (2005). We bought the CD, and he claimed he had nightmares because of it. I loved that song!

What would be embarrassing is if you were still afraid of the video. :open_mouth: Lol… :smiley:

Oh…err, no. Of course i’m not still afraid of it!

:blush:

little_chef_eva09 and al-bob: Yeah, I remembered the junkyard climax. So scary when their “master” got picked by the magnetic crane and dumped on the crushing machine. Especially the part when the toaster sacrificed himself by jumping into those crunching gears… shudder Freaky!

Mark-E: I’ve never seen Grin Grinning Ghost but I can see how it might look scary to a kid… laugh out loud! And the caricatures of Hollywood Steps Out are downright ugly and disturbing in a way… :slight_smile:

I have a Villains snowglobe that plays that tune. :laughing: I love the song, but I’ve never heard the lyrics (if it has any)

There are the lyrics!

When the crypt goes creak,
And the tombstones quake.
Spooks come out for a swinging wake.
Happy haunts materialize,
And begin to vocalize.
Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize.

Now don’t close your eyes,
And don’t try to hide.
Or a silly spook may sit by your side.
Shrouded in a daft disguise,
They pretend to terrorize.

As the moon climbs high o’er the dead oak tree,
Spooks arrive for the midnight spree.
Creepy creeps with eerie eyes,
Start to shriek and harmonize.

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell,
Weird glows gleam where spirits dwell.
Restless bones etherialize,
Rise as spooks of every size.

If you would like to join our jamboree,
There’s a simple rule that’s compulsory.
Mortals pay a token fee.
Rest in peace, the haunting’s free.
So hurry back, we would like your company.

Some random stuff on T.V. used to freak me out as a kid. Such as the Halloween episode of Lilo and Stitch, when the headless Lilo came in. And the “This is Halloween” sequence from The Nightmare Before Christmas. They don’t scare me anymore, though.

And the first half of the Pink Elephant scene from Dumbo. For some reason, those bubblegumlike elephants gave me the creeps…

Now this has made me ponder… and I dont do that often… But there are a few

Ghostbusters: Dana’s Appartment when the Terrordogs (Think That’s what their called) breaks up through the Chair and Weaver goes screamng into the light sat in the chair

Ghostbusters 2: When Egon, Ray and Winston are going through the Train Tunnel and the heads on Spikes appear… To this day it still gives me the creeps.

When Ianosh (The Gallery Curator) Knabs Oscar from the Appartment Ledge, after Peter and Dana’s date.

I think its the general look of the Scenes here that do that for me… But it could also be the rapid and surprising moments that they appear in.

thedriveintheatre Watch Toy Story, and seeing Sid’s toys appear in their deformed way scared me silly as a child, and for the same reason as you put, I always felt like Woody looked and felt during those times…

Only the short few I could actually think of at this present moment… But I am positive the are more hidden deep in my subconscious!

This is kind of ridiculous, but I’m scared that I’m going to go insane and do something stupid that will ruin my life and all of my hard work will be useless.

When I was little, I used to be terrified of the Zelda games - especially Majora’s Mask. My friend used to play it every time I went over to his house, and I hated it. Even now, the games still give me the willies. :laughing:

I’m also scared of big, mean-looking dogs to some degree. That probably stems from the time my friend got bit by a dog on her street a long time ago, and I remember her showing me the huge scar on her back. What was scary about it was they didn’t know if the dog had rabies or not.

I’m scared of getting old. Honestly. I see so many old people that just seem to stay home all the time with no job, no money, and even a long-since deceased spouse. :frowning: I just can’t imagine not doing anything; like, not having anything to do like work or go places. And I’m scared of getting sick and having to go on medicare and paying all these medical bills… I dunno. With all of this said, I mean no offense towards them. It’s just a scary thought to me.

mo: I don’t think you need to worry about that too much. The only way you’d probably go insane is if you like, did drugs all the time and fried your brain or something; or got in a horrible accident that would cause brain damage. (That actually happened to my grandfather, but he didn’t go insane. :stuck_out_tongue: To this day, though, he’s doing much better.)

little chef

One word…

Bees

I have a thing about…

Bees

BDC: Awww, bees only scare me when they get too close. Otherwise, they are fascinating creatures.

Hollywood’s version of Godzilla. It was’t the movie that scared me. It was the dreams I had afterwards that did.

Hights, do i need to explain why?

Being left alone by my self

Fear of Poison Ivy

don’t know any more at the moment.

Thanks for that flashback…

red - I always connected the concept of old age with wisdom and knowledge… and an extended mental dictionary, so I’ve never really been perturbed by the idea of living past the age of 100 or so. As far as you’re concerned, I don’t think that you have anything to worry about. You’ve got a bright mind; you’re smart. As long as you keep your body healthy, and invest in various activities that you can fall back on, I’m sure you’ll be fine. Perhaps you’ll feel better after watching Up. :wink:

To second Bryko614’s comment:

Oh my gosh, you had that video, too?! Holy smokes. Well, I guess you’re not the only one that was freaked out by that particular song. My sister and I always used to skip past it when we were kids. :stuck_out_tongue:

– Mitch

Spiders… and they still do freak me out! lol