Toy Story 3 Critical Reviews

Lee posted this review on his Twitter. It’s by Todd Mccarthy [url]http://blogs.indiewire.com/toddmccarthy/archives/review_toy_story_3/[/url] I only read the first to paragraphs to avoid spoilers, but from what I read it seems positive, but I can’t really tell the way he worded it. :s

(quote edited to remove possible spoiler)

I’d call that a pretty glowing review. :smiley:

I just noticed that Rotten Tomatoes has gotten enough reviews to post their tomatometer. So far (with 7 reviews counted), its at 100%, and an average review score of 8.7/10.

Yay! I’m sure it deserves it.

Yay! It also looks like Rotten Tomatoes rated it 100%! ([url]http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_3/[/url])

No idea why, but now I’m even more excited!

As much as I love the high rating, I have a feeling it will go down after the movie comes out. I remember this kind of hype with The Dark Knight and Up. :neutral_face:

And keep in mind that there are only five reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Not that I’m saying there’s going to be bad press, but you never know!

You do make good points…I’m still excited, though!

Rotten Tomatoes? 100%? I never thought I’d hear both of those words in the same sentence!

Did you ever look at Toy Story and Toy Story 2 on there? They both got 100%, too!

No, I rarely look at Rotten Tomatoes, but I’m not surprised that they did get 100% on there, they’re great movies!

I’m not sure you understand how Rotten Tomatoes works. The Tomatometer collects reviews from all over the internet. For every bad review a movie gets, the 100% goes down a notch. Getting a 100% is practically unheard of, as it means the movie didn’t get a single negative review from anyone (at least not anyone in the press, the average moviegoer like you and me get their own meter).

It doesn’t matter how great a movie is, there’s almost always at least a handful of people who it either didn’t click with, or just get their kicks by ruining a perfect record (or simply bringing it down a bit). And some people just hate movies that are popular.

Just because a film got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn’t mean that no review included any negative points about it. There will be some reviews on there that might say that the film was generally very good, but that there were some downsides to it, but a review like that would still count as an overall positive review. In a way, that’s why it’s ‘easier’ for a movie to get 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, as opposed to another system where each reviewer can give the films a mark out of 100 and this is averaged. No film would ever get 100% in that case!

That Variety review sounds very silly. From what I’ve seen from the trailers alone, the film looks emotional and hilarious.

Well, yeah, most reviews have something negative to say while being overall positive, and even vise verse. Still, it is very rare a movie doesn’t get a single person suggesting people “pass” on it. Not impossible, but almost never happens.

The Toy Story website now has quotes from reviews when you first get into it.

disney.go.com/toystory

22 reviews, and it’s still 100%, guys! The first few reviews were the ones with the most negative criticisms, it seems, because ever since, I’ve been reading nothing but immense praise.

(RT says it only has 17 reviews, but if you count them, there are 22)

And, to address lizardgirl’s point, the average review score is holding at 8.5 out of 10. That is huge. For reference, TS averaged 8.9, and TS2 averaged 8.6. So, it appears that, critically speaking, TS3 is about on a par with the first two, a feat almost unheard of in the sequel business.

I am so, so pleased to hear that! It’s always a bit of a worrying thing when a favourite movie studio of yours releases an unexpected sequel, so to hear it’s being recieved really well is great.