Toy Story Replicas (No trading-related posts please)

That does look pretty good. I didn’t even see the auction for that one! How did you find it?

It’s a UK sale for once. I’m so used to having to import stuff from the US. He cost me £20 about $30.

Just got a 61 vintage chatter phone too. I’ve managed to spend just shy of $200 on eBay this month. Plus I placed an order for a Slinky with Tyler. My wife is developing a nervous twitch when I go near the computer now.lol

Does he wind-up?

Great Lenny! I havent seen that one in anyones collection, I believe its about viewmaster size?

I went to go get one of those “new” vintage chatter phones, and they’re way too inaccurate. Going to get a vintage one if I can find one. Used to have a couple around family, so I’ll have to check with them.

I did however find a toddle tot fireman at a yard sale earlier for a nickle.

There was nothing in the description to suggest so. I will post more pics when he arrives.

With the recent talk of the Chatter Telephone I’ve decided to re-post what I had initially written on the Thinkway Toy Story Collection thread. I hope this ok, it’s just that my post should have belonged in this replica thread from the start, and by now it is buried deep many pages back, and I thought it worth posting again just so those who missed it can see some pics and make up your own minds about purchasing this wonderful toy:

…I have an original 1961 Fisher Price Chatter Telephone - see pics below. I urge anyone to try and get a hold of this fabulous toy where possible, as in terms of authenticity you can’t get any better than the real thing. I got mine off e-bay for the better than bargain price of £1.04 (that’s slightly more than one dollar for you US folk). When you consider this toy is nearly 50 years old that equates to nothing short of a steal.

He has the correct original wooden base, original chord, wheels, eyes, and stickers. For such an old toy he is in very good condition in fact, with only slight tearing on the decals and a small amount of dirt / general wear. Most commonly you can only find these things in a very poor state. I gave him a good clean when I got him but intend for the moment not to do any further restoration work becuase in his current state he closely matches Pixar’s final render of the Chatter Phone character from Toy Story 3. His bell and rolling eye feature still all work perfectly.

For anyone thinking of purchasing the re-release of Chatter Telephone from UK retailer Hawkins Bazaar url=http://www.hawkin.com/find/category-is-All/Price-is-5,0-to-10,0/product-is-09881[/url] please be advised that it is not wholley accurate to the orginal toy, nor screen accurate to Pixar’s character version. Differences include a yellow chord instead of black and white, thinner, paler wheels, larger nose paint application, incorrect pull chord at the front and plastic base. If I had the choice I’d urge you to go for the original of course, though the re-release is a good buy if only for the fact it comes with authentic looking packaging.

Enough words… let these pictures speak for themselves. (Note *Pixar’s film version of the Chatter Telephone has added eyebrows and eyelids that are not present on the orginal toy… this was undoubtably to add a greater emotional range of expressions to the character):

I hope this has been useful to some of you thinking about getting a Chatter Telephone for your collection - I couldn’t be happier with mine.

Looking at the comparison pic, it would seem pixar made him slightly wider. Nice find though. I picked mine up for £2.50.

Excellent, informative post!

Pixar did make the base appear slightly more squat, and widened the overall phone a little bit. They also rounded the edges of the plastic part a bit more than the original, and tapered the sides of the raised center on the dial.

But again, this one is still so much better than any of the reissue versions that there is absolutely no comparison.

After looking at these photos, I’m tempted to try to find a better one than what I have. Mine is almost perfect, but there is some serious wear on the handset cord, making the lighter stripes almost invisible in places.

Great info. I think the eyelids may just be for his “alive” mode.

RoboDad, from what I have seen of these phones, I don’t think it would be a major task to replace the cord. I noticed that most of these vintage versions have real problems with the stickers. Good ones seem to command a high price. I will mod mine anyway. I’m giving some serious thought on Tylers suggestion about putting the talking parts from the ts3 version in the old phone.

I’m happy to announce that the Hamm bank that Kellogg’s was giving away for their Toy Story 3 promotion has finally arrived in the mail today, and I have to say that I think he’s great. :smiley: I’m probably going to be the first one here to review him, so here are some pictures (Note: I finally figured out how to stop using the flash on my camera).

Front view:

Side views:

Top view:

Bottom view:

Size comparison with Slinky Dog, TSC Aliens, and TSC Potato Head:

His body is made out of a hard, yet squeezable plastic, unlike the Disney Store Hamm which is made out of resin. The small picture of him on the cereal box made it look like he was going to have the Toy Story 3 logo engraved on the side of his body, but as you can see from my photos above he actually doesn’t, which I think is a good thing. His head is not turnable even though it has a line in it. The cork is also made out of plastic and at first seemed hard to open, but then I figured out that one reason his body was squeezable was to squeeze the cork out as soon as you got him, and the cork can then be twisted in and out like a bottle cap to be opened instead of pushing it back in again. Unfortunately the thing that takes away from it’s replica status is the scale being off yet again (which I honestly had a feeling would happen), making him another Thinkway 1995 Hamm. My only other problem when I got him was just a tiny mark on his nose.

Overall Disney Store Hamm is still the perfect replica of the character, but Kellogg’s Hamm is a nice admirable alternative for those who can’t find the other one and aren’t bothered by it’s scale.

Oops! :blush:
I’ve corrected it now.

GREAT work! I didnt even see this, so I’m quoting it. Very nice work, that will look perfect printed out.

Funny, mine arrived in the mail today, too! I was going to review it RIGHT now, but you beat me… :frowning:

Yeah, you know I wonder if Kellogg’s may have planned for them to arrive the day after Toy Story 3 came out. That would explain the 90 day delay they talked about.

shopko.com/detail/toy-story- … /8551/0000

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for your interest in our Toy Story Lotso. We do not sell direct to consumers and our website is for information on our lines of toys only.

You may order the Lotso online at www.shopko.com, item # 8551

Only The Toy Story Collection item were created from Disney/Pixar’s digital data.

Regards,

Jenny Sze

Customer Service

Tel: 905-470-8883 Ext. 233

Toll Free : 1-800-535-5754

2" Shorter than the TSC, but they may be the same size.  Probably not, but its worth it to hope.

Not sure if this really belongs here, but I think it might fit in…

Im about done re creating Andy’s first room in 3D, and I’m going to attempt to re create Andy’s new room in TS2 (and by extension TS3 since its the same, just with more clutter). it should be pretty easy since I already have the furniture ready.

One of the things I’ll need to create from scratch though is the star wallpaper. I’m not that great at creating seamless pattern textures which is why it took me a while to create the cloud wallpaper of the first with a decent amount of accuracy. but do we have a decent reference for the pattern used for the stars? I need to make sure there aren’t too little number of stars, nor too many. and I’ll probably end up slanting the texture as I did in the first one to help with the illusion of randomness. you know, so the repeating pattern wont be easily detectable.

I’m really looking forward to seeing the finished product! I assume it wasn’t too painful recreating all the work that you lost?

Well thankfully just lost polish more than anything. The bulk of it is still there, Just not as good. but yeah, most of it is built back up. Not all yet though. Still no hallway. the rest is just prop and texture work.

I’m trying to figure out the layout of the new room. I’ll need to look at trailers and such. is the room different at all from TS2 and TS3? I’ve noticed they made the bed taller, or the mattress shorter, not sure which. its wood is also aged, but that might not be too hard to do. also need to determine the new window and door locations.

Toy Story: The Essential Guide features an overhead view of the room. I’ll try to get you a scan, if you want.

BTW any future plans of Sid’s room? :smiley: