Twlight Haters Unite!

On thanksgiving, my sister and cousin watched New Moon. They both said that they really loved it, probablly better than the first one.

Let’s try not to let this get too heated, guys. Plus, some of the extensive quotes within quotes aren’t necessary and clutter up the thread- if you’re replying to someone, it’s easier to just type their name in bold, or to quote part of their post instead of the whole thing along with what they’ve quoted, etc.

I don’t get what the hype is with Twilight, but I don’t hate it. It just seems a bit strange to me. When I was in Thailand, New Moon was released and a bunch of the girls from our house arranged a trip to the closest cinema just to go and see it! The fandom seems very extreme to me, but hey, each to their own.

Badger, Edward is a vampire. Are vampires nice? Heck no. Anyway I do think that Twilight is very overrated and isn’t a movie to get worked up for. I would understand people going crazy over Toy Story 3 because Toy Story is considered to be the best animated movie.

Editted by TSS: Watch the Language please.

whoo! awesome thread :smiley: i do a TON of anti twilight/ twilight parody art
click here if you want :slight_smile: spunk–ransom.deviantart.com/gal … i-Twilight

and i do respect the nice twilight fans :slight_smile:

Hm, maybe we should friend each other.

Carl and Ellie are ten times better then Bedward. They share a real connection, a love of adventure. They grow their relationship for YEARS before they get married. And the lengths he’ll go to to fulfill his promise are much more heartwarming then anything Smeyer can dish out.

I do think that “all boys should learn from Wall-E”-signature is hilarious. :stuck_out_tongue: Kudos!

I read the books way before they were popular and then liked them, although now the whole screaming fangirls kinda put me off.

The Twillight level of insanity is “over the moon” so to speak, even here in Singapore. Every time I listen to the radio, turn on the TV, open the newspapers, look at billboards, wander into cinemas, they’re everwhere! There’s no escaping them! Kristen’s blank stare haunting my dreams, Robert uttering “Goodbye, Bella” in that monotone voice for the hundredth time, Taylor ripping out of his clothes transforming into a werewolf for the umpteenth time! I’m not kidding, never have I seen a movie flogged this hard before! The level of advertising saturation is ‘worse’ than Avatar, and there’s barely any publicity for Princess and the Frog or Sherlock Holmes! It’s driving me crazy! :open_mouth:

And it doesn’t help the print ads trumpets it as the No 1 Biggest Weekend Box Office Opening of All Time in America…

I find the whole fandom and hatred surrounding Twilight to be quite interesting it must be said. I’ve been trying to understand what it is that people dislike about Twilight for quite a long time now and I like to think that i’ve come up with a few theories…even if they are just theories.

On one hand, fans of true horror are always going to dislike this sort of thing because it’s almost as if it’s taking all the danger out of these monsters (vampires, werewolves) and seemingly replacing them with pouting. The main problem with a lot of horror fans would simply be that there is absolutely nothing frightening about the creatures in Twilight. That’s always going to be a problem for those who feel a sense of ownership over monsters and creatures of the night. They just don’t really appreciate these things regaining popularity when the rules are changed. I mean, i’m sorry to break it to most people but vampires are cold killers and should remain such a thing. It’s taking away the danger and the terror involved which a lot of people find annoying. I mean, people don’t find Let The Right One in to be that annoying at all because it remains a horror movie despite being a very sweet romance.

Then there is the actual popularity itself…This is where I think much more of the hatred for this series has stemmed from in particular. I’ve noticed that the main backlash on these movies seems to come from those who are interested in the more niche or “cult” type things who each have their own fan base. And it seems as though where many things are rejected as geeky or sad, this whole vampire thing has pretty much been accepted into the mainstream which is bound to make a fair few people a bit annoyed. I mean after all, if you read comic books you tend to get hassled for it, fans of star trek tend to be labeled as obsessive, the list goes on and on. Yet, the majority of fans who are into Twilight no matter how obsessive or strong their interests are (To the point where you would usually be labeled a complete geek by most “normal” people) seems to be pretty much ignored and allowed because…Well, I’m not so sure why

I suppose it could be argued that the fan base being predominantly female could have a factor in this, as most things that females tend to get interested in is always treated with the utmost respect. But don’t get me wrong, this isn’t some sexist rant against women…this is just a point that I thought was interesting to raise. A lot of women are into Twilight (Not all, of course) just like a lot of women were into Harry Potter (a fair amount of men, also). These titles have basically been accepted completely into the mainstream, and I would imagine that this is where a lot of the anger and hatred towards Twilight comes from.

Ultimately, I believe the hatred stems from the true geeks speaking out against something that has been accepted into the mainstream that probably shouldn’t have been. Obviously there are others who dislike it because they feel as though it’s just not very good, which makes the popularity completely impossible to understand. But I personally believe that the main backlash stems from those who have interests that have not been embraced by the public in the same way that things like Harry Potter and Twilight have been, that’s a similarity both of these books/movies share even if they’re completely different in quality and tone. But I speak as a fully shame-free geek in saying that I do believe that Twilight and Harry Potter are quite geeky things to be reading. So when they do get accepted by the public, the general consensus by us whose interests are a little less popular tends to be calling these books for what they are.

I think people would not have such a problem with Twilight if everything else was accepted as perfectly acceptable reading or viewing material. I think some just feel that it’s either all okay, or none of it is okay.

Mind you, this is just a theory :laughing:

^Uh, no. Take it from a hater, we DO NOT only dislike it because we are all men or don’t like the popularity.

There was a poll of TwilightSucks that revealed that most of its members are WOMEN and have read at least the first book.

We hate it because, despite being hailed as great art, it is a terribly written book. Mary-Sues, typos, research failures, and discontinuity run so rampant its almost sickening. Also, it portrays the Bedward relationship (the one where he beaks into her room for month to watch her while she sleeps, takes a piece out of the engine of her car in order to prevent her from seeing her friend, threatens suicide, and otherwise uses various control tactics in order to make sure he controls her life) as the ultimate true love when it is textbook abusive. We hate it because the author actually thinks she is a better romance author then Shakesphere, Jane Austen, and others (And I can find you quotes where she says this).

THAT is why we hate it.

Like I said, it was only a theory :laughing:

Ultimately I don’t care about Twilight at all, if it’s just a fad then people will look back on it and be embarrassed that they liked it in the first place, if not…oh well?

But it’s not going away any time soon…So I suggest that the “haters” just get used to the thing being popular.

After all, nobody likes a party pooper!

I haven’t read the book but did see the first movie. It went on for a bit too long, and YES - Edward is controlling and manipulative. He’s too much of a pretty-boy for my taste and I’m not that thrilled that he is being idolised as the perfect boyfriend, especially by kids and teenagers. I disagree that just because it’s a ‘fad’ then that makes it harmless.

In the past I visited the anti-Twilight forum and they all seem to raise very fair and interesting points. I didn’t see any needless or out-of-control hate over there. Some of the rabid fangirl encounters are very funny (but also disturbing).

I hate Twilight. I was getting into vampire stories when it got popular, and now people think I’m into Twilight when I say I like vampires. The ‘vampires’ in Twilight are not vampires. They are merely sparkly immortal people.

Personally, if a vampire were to bite me, I’d like for them to actually have FANGS, rather than regular human teeth! Imagine Edward just chewing your neck until blood came out … x_x

I’ve watched Dracula (the one with Gary Oldman) for the first time just recently, and I am hooked. <3

I’ll leave the Twilight fans alone - it’s them calling the people in the book actual vampires that disgusts me. That’s an insult. xP They’re not vampires.

Twilight murdered the name of vampire. :frowning: I don’t hate Twilight, I’ve read all four books because I was curious to know why everyone was reading it…several times. I’m just kinda annoyed with all these vampires movies, TV shows, and novels coming out all of a sudden. Whatever happened to Dracula? When I say vampire, you’re suppose to think Dracula, not Edward. X_x.

I just think it’s another hyped up girl thing. It’ll pass. Twilight’s not some deep, symbolic piece of literature whose words can be analyzed to find subtle themes anyway.

Ok, I entered in this because I dislike Twilight.

But the statement about it copying Harry Potter is absurd. I hate how every fantasy genre story is acused of “copying”. Not so long ago, people was saying Harry Potter was copying Lord of the Rings. All the literature of the fantastic genre has things in common. (By the way, I do thing that the Eragon franchise is copying a lot of things form others, but that is a special case).

And yes, I’ve read all the Twilight books, and they have terrible fails in the matter of storytelling. She doesn’t know how an epic story should be written, but she tried to do it, anyway. The result were the most anticlimatic fanatasy novels ever.

I never understood twilight. I just see it as a girl who falls in love with a vampire dude and now she’s falling in love with a werewolf dude and now the werewolf and vampire are fighting over her… I still don’t get it.:confused: Someday I’ll have to go to a bookstore and waste my time reading twilight, I’m curious why all my friends fuss over jacob and edward all the time. There’s even a cardboard cut out of Jacob at our local skating rink. I once found lipstick marks on his face. :frowning:

I’d pick Woody over Ed-weird and Jac-boob any day.

Never seen it, didn’t have a clue what it was until about September time or something last year when my mates showed me the dvd in HMV, i’d imagine i’d hate it though.

Again, with the Twilight hating?!? SHEESH! You know what guys? I am so sick of all the Twilight haters! I mean it’s one thing to just say you hate it, but it’s a whole other thing when you basically do nothing but bash it! I’m sick of it! I mean, I get that you guys don’t like it, but SHEESH! Just please stop with the Twilight hating! Because I am sick of it! :angry:
I mean, I didn’t like it at first ethier, but I was convinced by a friend to give it a try, and I loved it!