Wreck-It Ralph

I’ve seen a few topics for things about the film, but I didn’t notice an official thread for the movie.

Anyway, there was a first look of the film that was posted. bigscreenanimation.com/2012/ … ralph.html

Wow, seems like they’re going for quite the vivid aesthetic. I like it!

It looks nice! I can’t wait to see a trailer in the future.

I agree. Those first look pictures look great. It’s nice to see Disney try to be ambicious and trying something new here.

I’m actually SO excited for this! :smiley: The whole premise of a villain wanting to change his ways seems really interesting and different to me. I really hope this meets my expectations!

I’m also really excited, mostly because of all the video game cameos that are supposed to be in there…

I hope King K. Rool will make an appearance 'cuz he’s mah favourite character of anything. Ever.

That’s the very reason I think I should avoid this film. Disney is alienating their non-video game playing audience by releasing this film. Sure, kids won’t care that they don’t know these older video games, but what about Disney fans who grew up with The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast? This film is going to shut them out unless they are hardcore video-game players. And news flash: not everyone is a hard-core video game player.

I really don’t think it will shut out fans of older Disney movies. I mean, what about the films based on fairy tales? Did those shut out people who didn’t read the original stories?

I just want to see K. Rool in there to see the DKC fandom go, wait for it… bananas, because we missed him so much in Donkey Kong Country Returns. I mean, just realize how hilarious that would be. Sigh.

'sides, I’ve heard that nowadays, Mario is more recognized than Mickey Mouse. I like them both, though…

Fairy tales are timeless. Video games have only existed for thirty years. They have not had a chance to prove whether any of them can become timeless or not. And Pacman is one thing, but Mortal Kombat, I think, it safe to say will not be known much fifty or sixty years from now except by old hounds who played it when they were kids.

People know the stories of the old fairy tales because their parents read them to them when they were kids. And besides that, those fairy tales are in oral tradition…they float around in people’s heads. That’s not the same thing as video games which have had a short life span in totality and are already outdated when this film will be released. How outdated will they be in 2066, a hundred years after Walt Disney’s death, Walt Disney who could never have known what a video game was?

Mario is one thing. You don’t have to have ever played a Mario game to kknow who Mario is. A Mortal Kombat character is another thing altogether. And we know for certain that a Mortal Kombat character is in this film, which means that this film is already set to find its way into obscurity.

Stop criticizing everything all the time you creep. This movie looks fine But then, the movies that look fine, are usually the ones you trash.

I don’t especially like that argument, Lover_of_Fiction. Yes, video games have not been around anywhere near as long as fairy tales have. But the point and core of the story, if they do a good job with it, will remain timeless. And if not, well, what’s wrong with doing a ‘period’ piece? No different than watching a movie set in a time far back! Yes, it may end up feeling dated when 60 years have passed, but that seems like it’d add more charm to the subject if anything, since a lot of people dig 80’s kitsch regardless of understanding all the culture references. It seems more like a love letter to video game/arcade gaming history than anything else. And I’m tired of your constant negativity anyway as IV pointed out :frowning:

Video game films usually aren’t great. But, I’m hoping that will change soon personally.

^I agree. I think it’s partly also a matter of finding a video game with subject matter that can convert well into a movie. I.e., an animated movie was made out of the Professor Layton series, and it was quite nice.

In any case, it seems like a rule that live-action video game films HAVE to be bad. 8D

I wonder if this movie will be a sleeper hit like Tangled. Doubt it with Twilight opening two weeks after.

Based on the concept art that’s been shown, the story set-up, the implied confidence of the moved-up production schedule, and the brilliant casting of John C. Reilly, I’m very much looking forward to this movie.

As a gamer, I used to have doubts for this movie seeing how Disney would likely not have a clue about video games. Later I heard a few premises that made me had some hope for this movie. Although one small criticism about this movie is that Disney didn’t hire a video game composer(an actual one) to do the film’s music.

Also, speaking of cameos.A magazine revealed that characters Dr.Eggman and Boswer are making cameos in this.
i43.tinypic.com/ffbbex.jpg

Looks like Disney managed to work something out with Nintendo and Sega.

Okay, now I know for sure that this movie will alienate non-video game players. It is one thing to have characters from Mario and Sonic (I don’t even know what they do in the games, and I thought Sonic’s enemy was Dr. Robotnik, not Dr. Eggman.). However, it is another thing entirely to include a character from Street Fighter, whatever that is, and a creature called Cody the Snake or something.

The Mortal Kombat character clued me in. I willl NOT under any circumstances, watch a movie flooded with video game references that I don’t get. Until I hear that Psyduck is in this movie, I am against it.

I really want to see Sora in this. He’s the main character of a video game with Disney charcters, it would make a lot of sense. Their be missing out if they don’t include him.

It’s a really odd movie for Disney of all companies to be handling. That just makes me all the more interested in it :smiley:

Yeah, reminds me of Who Frammed Roger Rabbit in a way.