Your Friend the Rat fan commentary - 9.20.2008

Nice commentary everyone! It’s surreal to hear the voice of everyone I’ve known for about a month now. Sorry if I was too shy or interrupted your sentences, I’m pretty bad at interjecting. I don’t know how I sound like to y’all, like I said, my voice is kinda deep (but not in a cool way :frowning: ) and it may sound like I’m slurring or murmuring the words sometimes. Usually I’m kind of a heckler (I mean that in a good way for Pixar films) when I’m around with family or friends, but as this is the first time I’ve ever done online with people from all over the world, I may be a bit shy. Hopefully I’ll get more comfortable though.

rachel - I had heard your first commentary, and I liked your voice, quintissential Aussie. Has a sweet tone to it, and you were very friendly and chatty (in a good way) with everyone, you sound so confident, especially when you tried breaking the ice post-commentary. P.S. I liked your sis asking about the “shrimp on the barbie.” Heheh.

Peter/qxgnxamy - You have obviously done your research. Like I mentioned, I liked your zodiac story, as well as the bit about the Canadian rat control. Great work! I look forward to the release of the second edited version!

Kaitlyn/Lightning Eclipse - You thought you were nervous! You were one of the most talkative (again, with the best intentions). :smiley: Your voice also sounds great, and I liked your comments (2D/3D, the Black Death, the stop-motion, etc).

Kelly ginet/Pixar.rocks - I would have loved to hear more of your comments, I understand how you feel, I wish I had more to say too. You sound a little shy, but I liked your French accent. Like Rachel said, hopefully you could help us with some of the translations in the feature-length film. Oh, and I mentioned to you I’ve been to Nice. I wanted to tell you it’s a great place, it’s got all those old-fashioned houses, and has that coastal vibe to it. I went to Cannes, and the beach had a great view of the ocean. I even saw a Ratatouille poster in the theatres on my trip there!

starswordsman - “Yo yo yo yo yo!” Laugh out loud. Heard your first commentary (“Someone got busaaay!”), and it’s great to hear you post-commentary. Hope you can make the Ratatouille one, it’s gonna be “totally wicked!”

Shame M-O didn’t make it. I would have loved to hear his/her thoughts on this.

Great job everyone, work on those pregnant pauses, and gear up for a possible third practice commentary if we’re not leaping straight into the feature. Please excuse my funny accent, and I promise I’ll do more preparations for the ‘2-hour epic motion-picture commentary event of the year’!

Pixar.rocks- Oh don’t worry, I think a lot of us were nervous and shy. =) But, that’s what practice commentaries are for after all! By the next one, maybe we’ll all feel a little more relaxed.

Oh, and thank you! ^^

rachelcakes1985- Heheh, thanks a bunch! That means a lot, especially since I was afraid of letting my shyness get the better of me.

You did a really good job as well, and you were good at keeping the conversation going after we were done, when I was blanking out. xD Oh, and you have a lovely accent.

Yeah, that was great! xD

thedriveintheatre- Oh, don’t worry, I loved your voice! Seriously, I thought your accent was pretty awesome. And you did a very nice job as well. Hopefully we’ll all be more comfortable next time around.

And thanks so much for the compliments! ^^ I was worried I would talk either too much or too little, so hopefully I balanced it out well.

When it’s ready, give us a link! :smiley:

Thanks guys. You all had really cool voices. I wasn’t able to figure out who was who, but I am sure I will in due time.

Plus, I try to ad a little humor in every now and then. So I when we do the Ratatouille commentary, I’ll try to put in a few laughing moments.

I hope I didn’t talk too much after the commentary, you guys… I try to be talkative, but don’t know if I come across as annoying. :confused: I really can’t wait to see how we go all together with the rest of the commentators. =)

LE - No, you did great. For some reason, most of the people who said they were shy, did the best. Must be the direction of all that nervous energy. Give yourself a pat on the back. =) And thanks! I can’t really take credit for my accent, but thank you.

thedriveintheatre - You did well, too. I will have to listen to the commentary to remember specifically what you said, since us girls seem to have a habit of talking over the guys, lol. I’m sure once you research YFTR and get over the nerves, you’ll do better. And yeah, Ratatouille will be easier to talk about since there is so much to research. The main reason why we are doing these practice commentaries, is to, well… practice! So don’t be so hard on yourself, and just aim to do better next time. Keep moving forward! (And I have a problem with mumbling, too. It takes time to kick the habit, though.)

Oh, and thanks for compliments about my voice… I’m never really described as “confident” so, thank you. “Quintessential Aussie” ha-ha! Yeah, I guess so… Oh, yeah my sister was just doing the stereotypical Australian thing, as you might have guessed. Thanks for the feedback. =)

A113 - If you want the edited video, you’ll need to contact Peter and he will give it to you over Skype. It’s not going to go public like the last one, as far as I know. Also, please let us know when your computer is up and running so we can organise another practice commentary. Thanks.

TSS - Cool. You’re really funny so I look forward to your jokes on Ratatouille.

I’ll try. When something opens up, I’ll come up with something funny.

I decided to upload it after all. Here’s the link. You can synchronize it with your DVD by pressing play just after the Disney logo disappears.

In retrospect, my comments sound very tangential. I’ll try to stick to the film next time.

Thanks, Rachel, for coaching us. You’re a good leader!

Edit: Here’s another link (Thanks Zarban!!).

We actually did very well, i enjoyed it ! :smiley: Like how Peter did his research on the Zodiac…

Edit :: I sorta have this weird accent when i’m nervous, having a cold didn’t really help though.

Sorry I couldn’t make it again. I’ll try to make it to the next one. :unamused:

I’ve just finished listening to the second practice commentary of YFTR, and I think you guys all did great! I loved the contrasting accents, (though at times I got muddled up as to who’s who :laughing:) and you all seemed to have something interesting to say. Sure, there were some silences, but I think that’s pretty natural and will probably happen even in the film commentaries. I guess it just isn’t natural to be talking all the way through, but as long as a fair amount of the time there is someone speaking, (which in this practise, it was) it’s absolutely fine.

LE, your voice is very clear and you sounded like a real natural! And qxgnxamy, some of the things you said, especially about the Chinese Zodiac, were fascinating! I adore your French accent, Pixar.rocks, and yours too, thedriveintheatre. They all contrasted so well, and you didn’t sound nervous at all.

Great work, guys! :smiley:

I can’t wait for us to all do a feature film together, a whole bunch of us. With the way both of these commentaries have gone, it’ll be a blast!

Thanks Lizardgirl ! I can’t wait either, i hope everyone can make it for the Ratatouille commentary !

Rachel- Oh no, I liked that you did that! I probably would have too, but honestly, if there’s one thing I stink the most at in this world, it’s starting conversation. ^^; I’ve always been horrible at it. You were really nice and friendly though, and I think it helped everyone calm down a little. And thanks again.

lizardgirl- Thank you! Glad you could hear me okay, I was afraid I was going to slur my words again or something. I really hope you can make it to the next commentary.

qxgnxamy- I forgot to mention, I loved all your comments. They were very educational, and you sound like you really did your research.

And thanks for uploading the audio. I listened to it last night. I love how I’m all like “Hello everyone!”, even though I already said hello to you all. xD That’s usually how I start all my regular videos, so I guess it’s just a habit for me now. I think everyone did really well, though!

So, are we going to have another practice commentary sometime in the future? Or are we just going to jump straight in to Ratatouille? I’m going to try to make it to both, either way. [/b]

Pixar.rocks, lizardgirl and Lightning Eclipse: Thanks. =) I guess that it’s only natural to see flaws in one’s own contribution, when in reality those flaws aren’t so bad.

A113 and M-O still haven’t done a practice, so I think we’re going to have another practice before we do our first feature commentary. I’m not sure if we’re doing Your Friend the Rat again. Ideally all ten of us would attend that practice so we’d get a feel for what it’s like when we’re all there (I think it will be fine, the animators’ commentary on The Incredibles had 13 people and it worked ok). However it may be a while before Mitch can do another commentary. We’re waiting for her to do the Ratatouille commentary, but we can do other commentaries in her absence.

Edit: Thanks, thedriveintheatre, also. Did I get the zodiac story right? You may be more familiar with it that I am.

I was a bit anxious to hear how it would sound all put together, but it was quite good once it was finished! It’s quite wonderful how two groups of people can give commentaries on the same film, yet they can come up with two totally different results. I’d say it was just as good as the other one, and it had more information and less awkward silences, but they are both pretty good seeing as both groups had never done anything like this before. It’s really so great to hear you guys and “in person,” I can’t stress that enough. Who knew that Pixar fans seem like such regular and cool people in real life? =) All of you will be a great addition to the Ratatouille commentary, I can’t wait to record it with you all. is excited

Wow, Andre, you do have a deep voice, heh. You made good observations and clarifications of other commentators’ points, which is a good thing because people listening may need clarification (I know I did when LE mentioned who the director’s voice was.) And I never knew that the DNA of rats was the same as humans, and the other comments you said were interesting, too. Just do what you did in this commentary, but moreso in the next one.

LE - I can’t compliment you enough, you did really well! Just everything you said was great! And your voice is just made for this type of thing. Great job! =)

Pixar.rocks - Your accent is awesome! It’s like one I’ve never heard before - a mix of two accents. And you did well seeing as English is your second language (?) You didn’t sound that shy when you did talk, actually. Feel free to talk more next time, I’m looking forward to listening to you!

Peter - You really did your research on this one, didn’t you? I didn’t think you went on a tagent at all. Your info about the Chinese zodiac was fascinating, and very relevant, and it fit the short film education theme, as well as the other things you had to say. I like the way you Americans say “comparable.” Heh. The audio of the movie was a lot better this time (when it went back up), and your voice sounds fine, to me at least. :wink:

And thank you! Thinking about it later, I wasn’t sure if I was taking over after the commentary, or talking too much… My aim wasn’t to coach or be a leader, but just to get opinions from everyone of how it went. But I’m glad you found it beneficial.

Thanks Rachel and you’re welcome. =)

When you say that the audio of the movie was a lot better, are you talking about the difference between version 1 and version 2 of commentary 2? Editing out noise is kinda fun. I also could’ve edited out all the "um"s that I said but I decided not to. I’ll just learn not to say them in the first place.

I meant between the the commentary we did on the 12th and the one we did on the 20th. The audio just seemed a lot clearer with the movie. Don’t worry about editing out “ums” and “uhs.” We’re only human, and it gives the commentary a more personable touch. And have you ever tried saying a sentence without saying “um” - it’s really hard to do! It just something to say while we collect our thoughts… Everyone does it. =)

I finally listened to the commentary. I thought that you all did a really wonderful job. I liked listening to everyone’s unique voices. (So far, no offense to anyone, but my favorites are rachel’s, lizardgirls, and Pixar.rocks.) I think this commentary was more educational than our first one. I learned a lot of stuff that I didn’t know before. (Heck, I’m half chinese, and I didn’t even know about the zodiac story) But still, really nice job you guys. I loved it. I can’t wait for another one.

Thanks everyone for commentating my accent ! :smiley:

Rachel - I spent 6 years of my life in Florida, I started school there, but i’ve come back in France for 5 years now so i sorta lost my American accent… :confused:
But i’m glad you enjoy it !

Both of the commentaries went very well, it seems, especially as it was most people’s first time with this sort of thing. So, what are we going to do next? Would another practise on a different short film, trying to get as many people together at the same time as possible, be a good idea?

Yeah, I think it’d be a good idea to get as many people in as possible for our next practice commentary, because after that, we’ll probably do the Ratatouille one, and we’ll most likely have quite a few people in on that.

The only problem will be finding the perfect date and time. Everyone has a different timezone and schedules, so we’d have to do a lot of rearranging if we wanted to get that many people on board…