Your Toy Story 3 Reviews

Imagine you’re a big, strapping 33 year old male grizzly bear from Yorkshire. You just can’t be seen crying in the cinema at a cartoon!!! The last 10 minutes nearly killed me. I was fighting it so hard too but those damn glasses don’t help and I felt a tear trickle down my face and my chin was wobbling like a plate of jelly. When the gang all start to hold hands I was really battling to hold it all together and just as I think I might…my little girl, with real peril in her voice yelps “What’s going to happen Daddy?”. Well that was it, I was off like a burst pipe. And the whole ending just cut me wide open. I shall have to go watch it again in the hope I can compose myself in time to enjoy the end credits this time!

Thank you Pixar, you never let us down. Woody would be so proud. 10/10. :smiley:

Oh god, I nearly broke at that point, too! I was thinking of [spoil]my mum as well, she was also sad of me leaving for Sydney when I started college[/spoil]… I think she’d cry if I ever convince her to watch that scene.

Haha, you big crybaby! :stuck_out_tongue:

[size=59]Just kidding mate, I was a mess at the end too. :slight_smile:[/size]

I probably would have been a mess at the [spoil]incinerator[/spoil] scene, but I was too scared to be a mess. :slight_smile:

I saw Toy Story 3 for a second time the other night, but this go around I saw it at the drive in (unfortunately, only one drive in left in my state). The movie was just as good as I remembered it being when I saw it a month ago. Toy Story is my favorite of the three, but the third movie is arguably the best of the trilogy.

Am seeing Toy Story 3 tonight, will be back with a review. :wink:

I just got back from my first TS3 screening.
I’ll have to withhold final judgement until I have seen the English version, as many of the German voices just didn’t fit the characters (Rex sounded particularly bad).

Also the soundtrack didn’t feel like anything special.
It is definitely Randy Newman’s weakest score and by far the weakest score of any Pixar film to date.
That’s quite sad considering their track record of truly awesome scores, culminating in the “Memories can weigh you down” sequence from Up.

So far I would give it a shockingly low 7.5/10, which puts it at the bottom of my Pixar list.
I’m sure that will go up with a decent voice cast, but 9/10 is the limit, simply because of the mediocre score.

But enough complaining -
I was pleasantly surprised by some aspects that I didn’t see coming from the trailer, which looked pretty spoiler-laden to me.
Bonnie enters the ranks of my all-time favorite Pixar characters with ease, and the Jessie/Buzz and Barbie/Ken scenes were just brilliant.
Oh, and I’m glad Totoro got way more screentime than anticipated. :smiley:

I’m surprised you thought the score was weak, the music that plays through the indinerator is epic and scary and everything it should be! And the touching tune at the end is awesome too I thought

Yeah, I have to admit, after having seen it for the second time today, the music in the [spoil]incinerator scene[/spoil] was stronger than I’d thought it was, and there are a few other moments in which the score stood out for me as I’d been able to ignore the bits which I thought weren’t as good.

Second time round the film isn’t quite as shocking, and it was slower when set in Andy’s room at the beginning than I’d remembered, but aside from that it was once again a great experience and I really felt the build-up this time.

Time for an update, based on a 3D screening of the original version.
First off, I like the score a bit better now.
My initial reaction was mostly due to the fact that I missed some of my favorite cues from the first two films, and that some bits (e.g. [spoil]Buzz climbing into the vending machine[/spoil]) just sounded a bit odd for a Toy Story film.

As expected the original voice cast improved my enjoyment of TS3 immensely. Every single voice fit the respective character perfectly, and wow, Slinky really did sound like in the first two films.

As for a possible fourth film (unlikely, but you never know), I am really torn because although I’m not a fan of sequels, they introduced so many awesome new characters that I would love to see again.

Final score: 9/10

By the way, this was my first 3D screening of a full-length feature, and I was really glad that I didn’t suffer from any major headaches.
It does strain the eyes a bit, though.

Before Day & Night and TS3 there was a 3D trailer for Despicable Me, and that showed you perfectly how you should not do 3D.
They pushed the 3D effects totally in your face, and the whole thing looked like you had many separated, totally flat layers (more like multilayered 2D than proper 3D).
But even when done properly (which Pixar thankfully does), I don’t think stereoscopic projection adds anything meaningful to the film.
It’s certainly not worth the premium over a ticket for a 2D screening.

:smiley: I loved every single moment let me get my thoughts together and then I will post my mini review.

My review of Toy Story 3…

I went and saw the movie last month on a Saturday. Thankfully my local theater is equipped with 3D Projectors so I was able to enjoy the movie in 3D.

Holy cow… to say i was impressed would be a understatement. Early on I had told my self that I wouldn’t read anything deep about the movie’s plot line. And boy, I’m glad I didn’t.

While there are similarities to Toy Story 2 as pointed out by Fett101. The character developments are quite different than Toy Story 2 imo.

The movie has some really powerful parts. Like the following:

At the beginning of the movie. We have flashbacks of Andy while he was younger. While the song "You Got a Friend in Me’ plays in the background. What threw me for a loop is when it got to the “Our Friendship will Never Die” part of the song. The Song and the Flashbacks stop suddenly at “Our Friendship will…”. Making it very clear that things have changed.

The Entire back story of Lots’o, the baby doll, and the clown. And I thought the story of Jesse was sad. At least she didn’t get lost, and ended up being replaced like Lots’o did. And Lots’o’s anger, thought tragic is understandable.

The part where the Woody and the Gang are facing what they think is a certain end. When they are getting ever so closer to the furnace. And then, they all hold hands with the idea if they are going, they are going together. Thank god for the Pizza Planet aliens. And their obsession of Claws lol!

[spoiler]The end of the movie where Woody leaves Andy a note. Saying to drop off the other toys to the little girl who saved Him off the tree. This has to be the most emotional part of the movie. We have Andy driving up to the house. And giving the girl the toys.

Telling the imaginary stories of each toy. The last toy Andy gets to is Woody. Which he wasn’t expecting to find in the box. Which the girl instantly recognizes. Here we see Andy facing the idea of giving up Woody. One of his most favorite toys of his childhood. Andy gives the girl Woody. Asking her to make sure to take good care of him.

Then Andy, all of the sudden. Starts play with the Toys and the girl. After Andy is done, and has to go. We see Andy, saying good bye to Woody and the other toys. And he drives off into the sunset towards collage.[/spoiler]

Anyway, I really like the fact that I basically grew up with Toy Story. And the fact that Toy Story 3 is a coming of age story. And the fact I’m facing similar things that Andy was facing in Toy story 3. (Though I’m not moving away for Collage!)

And I think Toys Story as a whole. Is one of those once in a generation kind of things. That most likely not be repeated. Of if tried, won’t have the level of success that the Toy Story trilogy has.

I give Toy Story 4.5 Cowboy hats out of 5. If you haven’t seen it yet. Either go watch it in theaters if still possible. Or get the movie as soon as it comes out on DVD or Bluray![/spoil]

As with Up, I did a 2 part video review for this film on my YouTube channel, the link to that shall be provided, I would also include the script in text form but I deleted it by accident -_-

Link to Part 1 youtube.com/watch?v=RLyD2nN75MU

Link to Part 2 youtube.com/watch?v=7EBD3TXTVFQ

Leon, could you not say d**n? I’m not offended, but I don’t wnt the mods to give you a warning or edit your posts, either.

There, fixed, hopefully I shouldn’t get a warning.

While I don’t use the word, its about as tame as it gets. its barely a curse at all. Heck, at one point Buzz was supposed to say that word instead of “blast!” when he first sees his broken ship. Its in the story boarded version of the scene. he even mouths the word if you look closely. The B sound should have a different mouth shape.

Yeah, and that teething toy was supposed to say it as well. “Hell” is another one that they were going to use when it came to describing Sid’s room. But I guess they wanted to make it as family friendly as possible.

And I did not know that Buzz was supposed to say it, but it looks true.

Mm, I assumed it was against the rules to say it, but I may as well leave that one post edited now anyway.

Well, you won’t get in trouble, but I’ve been edited for using much weaker words.

Here’s a quick review. I’m not sure how the whole spoiler system works here so I just wrapped everything in spoiler tags as I’ve seen them in earlier posts.

Beginning
[spoil]From the very beginning after the Andy montage, it felt like a very surreal situation with only a few toys left. From there the movie kept going at a nice pace. It never felt like any parts were slowed down or dragged on for too long.[spoil]

Middle
[spoil]For a minute there I thought that they were going to make it so Woody got adapted to living with Bonnie when he first got there and then suddenly realize that he was on a mission to get back to Andy but I guess that would’ve taken up time. Plus Woody was really, really anxious to get back to Andy anyway so I don’t know what I was thinking. Lotso’s story was a bit sad but even back then he couldn’t be happy unless everyone around him was miserable. I don’t really feel sorry for him.[spoil]

End
[spoil]I didn’t except Lotso to turn on them at the dump but at the same time I kinda did. The scene was happening so fast that I couldn’t make a clear decision, plus he seemed to be genuinely concerned. Anyway, this is the first movie that actually had me thinking that the characters were going to die at the end.The scene just seemed so impossible for them. But I guess I was just caught up in the moment because I know better. After that everything else had me holding back tears. Even Andy’s mom tearing up had me tearing up. But I held them back (wasn’t easy).[spoil]

It was a great movie and a great ending to a series I grew up with. I’m not good with mushy good-byes so just know that I really, really liked the movie and all of that other stuff.

nice thank you fr sharing this!