Your Toy Story 3 Reviews

Yeah, I’ve now watched Toy Story 3 three times, I can say that it definitely fits with the other two movies quite well, but I had to see it more than once before I could really determine that.

It does have a much darker overall feel than the first two, both in terms of tone and even literally, since a large portion of the film takes place at night. Even so, once you’ve seen it more than once, and go into it expecting the darker atmosphere, what really jumps out is all the connections to the first two and all the great humor. It’s definitely Toy Story! It’s just a little bit on the serious side.

It’s been three days already since I saw TS3 for the first time on opening day, but, wow, I think I’m still in shock. I’ve never been able to sort out which Pixar film is my favorite because they’re all too good, but right now this movie is flying high as my definite favorite. I suspect that this is due to me just watching it, and it will drop a lot after the initial craze dies down, but I still think that TS3 will end up very high on my list.

Pixar really knows how to play the heartstrings well, you know what I’m saying? Watching this movie, I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so much in my life! I also don’t think I’ve ever been so depressed from watching a movie. I certainly know for a fact that I haven’t ever experienced these two emotions to such intensity within the same two hour period!

I liked the movie quite a bit, and I’ll probably end up seeing it a second time. I think this end to the Toy Story series was satisfying. Plus, the new characters were lovable as always. And, yes, I did come close to crying in a few parts. However, there were plenty of laughs, too. :slight_smile:

I’m so excited and jumpy today! One more day before I get to see it! I’ll post a review here tomorrow. :wink:

Everyone’s fussing about how “different” the movie is, but, really now. It’s going to be different, it has a different director, different side-characters, different MOVIE. I haven’t seen it, but I know you guys are totally overreacting.

Well, for me, the problem was, the second act was supposed to be the funniest part of the movie, and I just wasn’t amused. I was expecting a witty script, but ,no, it didn’t happen. IMHO, I loved the film best when it was being serious (eg: the third act). I’m really not hating on this film because it is one of the best in 2010, but the second act just puts me off for a while. :confused:

You have to see it twice for it to kick in. I saw it on the 18th, and thought it was okay.Bnot the best, but not bad. Then I went back and saw it again, and I thought it was amazing. Really enjoyed every frame the second time. The first time it didn’t feel like Toy Story. When I went back and saw it again, it felt just like the first and second movies to me.

My God! This movie is phenomenal! It actually came close to beating WALL-E as my favorite Pixar movie (and my favorite movie of all time)! There’s never a boring moment, there are a lot of really hilarious jokes, tons of emotion, and also some pretty… “dark” scenes (but nothing unbearable). I laughed, I cried (about 5 times, hehe! :blush: ), and I thought. No other movie but a Pixar movie can be this perfect!

Easy 10/10! :smiley:

You really have to see it two times to get a clear experience. The first time, you’re kinda in shock. If you’re like me, you see all these trailer shots and try to play out the whole scene in your head, but it’s not at all what you expected it to be like in TS3, and you’re kinda shocked at all that’s happening. Then you see it again, and you realize it’s brilliant, and the perfect conclusion to the trilogy.

YouUnculturedSwine: Ditto. I saw it two times, yet I still shocked with Lotso. Big time.

Just watched it online, I give it a 9.5/10, it was very good. :slight_smile:
Did drag a bit in the middle, and the scenes with Ken and Barbie were quite annoying, the last 15 minutes ([spoil]minus the cheesy ending with Andy and Bonnie[/spoil]), were amazing :smiley:.

EDIT - Please use spoiler tags when revealing spoilers, however minor they may be, thanks!

-lizardgirl

That [spoil]he’s evil[/spoil]?

I liked that cheesy ending. ):

Oh_Andy: Yep.

I am also in the “You have to see it twice” camp. I liked it the first time, but it’s also a bit overwhelming the first time, because it does feel like a darker, more mature and challenging film than TS and TS2, closer to the Ratatouille/WALL-E/Up trio (as one might expect). The second time, though, everything clicked, and I just got swept up in it (and ended up with tears running down my face). I know one thing that changed for me on trip 2 - regarding Barbie and Ken:

[spoil]Trip one, when Barbie cries and begs Ken to take her to the dream house, and Ken puts on his fashion show - it felt like a digression from this tense plot - why are they taking time to do this when we have more important things going on? But on trip two - aha, now you know that this “digression” is part of the bigger plot, and Barbie is using Ken to further the escape plan. I love the gag of Barbie disguised in Ken’s astronaut suit - and Bookworm’s reaction to the high heels.[/spoil]

Oh, and something I don’t think I said in my earlier review - Bud Luckey was so great as Chuckles. When he tells [spoil]Lotso’s backstory - that world-weary voice is just perfect. “Lotso wasn’t my friend any more. He wasn’t anybody’s friend.”[/spoil]

I just got back. It. Was. AWESOME.
Funniest parts:
[spoil] I really liked the Mr. Tortilla Head part. I don’t know why, it was just really funny! I also liked the Spanish Buzz scenes a lot.[/spoil]
Saddest parts:
[spoil] I got really sad when Woody and the toys started saying goodbye, but I came REALLY close to crying when Andy gave his toys to Bonnie. That was so sad. :cry: [/spoil]
Freakiest parts:
[spoil] I got freaked out during the landfill sequence, my heart started beating really fast. And that monkey! That monkey was just really freaky! :open_mouth: [/spoil]
I don’t know if I would say this is my favorite Pixar movie. It’s sure to be up there in the top 4, but I’ll need another showing to find out where. But, one thing I’m sure about : I am SO going to see that again!

Does anyone else get chills in the beginning when [spoil]the “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” sequence goes to that echoe-ish black when it says “and as the years go by, our friendship will never die.”?[/spoil] Everytime I see that I actually get goosebumps. The first time I saw it, right before that phrase, I knew that was gonna happen!

So, Toy Story 3 is definitely one of the best movies I’ve seen this year. The movie had so much to offer. It had comedy, it had great characters, and, most importantly, it had heart. I think it’s amazing that even though this is the third movie, it’s still awesome in so many ways, and you don’t see that many three movies like that. I’d definitely give this a 9.5/10, I loved it. <3

I just came back from watching Toy Story 3, and… I cried. A lot. I don’t think there’s ever been a movie that’s grabbed me so emotionally. And I’ve cried during other Pixar films, but this film, just… it just really grabbed my heart and touched it in a way that’s never been touched before, you know? :cry: Especially when [spoil]Andy gives up all of his toys to Bonnie at the end of the movie. It perfectly illustrates how every child will always have to grow up and move on someway or another. When that happened, it made me think of my own toys, and how I had to give them up too. It really made me cry like a big baby.[/spoil] And honestly; I don’t care if it’s just fiction, or if they’re “just toys.” It still really made me emotional anyways, and I don’t care if other people think I’m weird because of it or something. :blush: lol

Anyway, the funniest parts of the movie for ME was [spoil]all the scenes between Barbie and Ken. They were so funny. Especially during the scenes where Babie gets him to try on all his clothes, and the way Ken tries on all of them and does different poses with different dances… me and my cousin were cracking up so much. It was TOO funny.[/spoil] And also the whole [spoil]spanish Buzz thing was absolutely HILARIOUS. When Buzz was speaking in spanish to Woody, and the did the little kiss kiss thing, I was laughing my butt off SO much.[/spoil] 8D

The thing that really grind my teeth was [spoil]the friggin’ Monkey. God, he was so ANNOYING and just plain CREEPY. Like, the way his eyes would pop out and the way he’d screamed… just, ugh, SO creepy.[/spoil]. I was even surprised how there were a lot of dark and scary moments in this film, like how [spoil]Lotso starts hitting Big Baby. [/spoil] I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a lot of kids in the audience who were putt off and even scared by that. All the humor and comedy did make up for those bits, though. XD

Overall, the movie was just AMAZING. I absolutely loved it. It had heart, it had humor, it had action, it even had ROMANCE ([spoil]I loved all the Buzz x Jessie moments in it. <3 Gosh, they were so cute![/spoil]). It also had emotional scenes; it had EVERYTHING. <3 And it gets a perfect 9.5/10 from me!

I semi-expected it, but it was just another clever move for the opening. Gosh, I just loved the first five minutes of this movie to death.

I have seen Toy Story 3 and loved it… although, it is darker than the first two, just to warn those who have not seen it yet…