Pixar Planet

Do you plan to write a book someday?

Come here to talk about all the other stuff on your mind.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Writing a book?

I'm planning to.
31%
Yes.
44%
No.
25%

Total votes : 48

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:31 pm

I'm a huge fan of police movies (like Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Dirty Harry, etc.), and I really hope to write a detective film-noir (or even a police procedural) set within the fantasy or science-fiction genre. Better yet if it's an opposite-gendered team (like X-Files, Moonlighting or Bones) for that spicy romantic tension! ;)

I also used to love the Horrible Histories, Science and Geography series from Britain (by Terry Deary, Nick Arnold and Anita Ganeri respectively), and I also wish to write an engaging non-fiction book for kids or laymen in a similar manner. I'm also considering film criticism, maybe one day I'll write a compendium dissecting film car chases or the themes covered in Pixar movies that transcend the genre...
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Scyther » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:48 am

Yes, I plan to write books someday! I've been making up stories ever since I was really little. I agree with not posting about the stories online-which is why I don't even post art of the characters anywhere.
Scyther
Ant

Postby queen_of_painting » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:45 pm

My interest in writing spurred out of an uneventful summer after graduating sixth grade. What surprised me then was how I didn't abandon my work after a few pages; I actually wrote a LOT for someone my age up until high school. That said, the stories were incredibly lame and embarrassing. This isn't me being modest--my stories were basically "Degrassi: Next Generation" written by a child.

As for writing and illustrating children's books, that sounds like a fun career, but I've heard it's pretty competitive out there. I did write a book about an alligator and his "bayou buddies" for an English assignment last year, though. Here are some thumbnails, if anyone's interested. The text I wrote isn't incredible, and the drawings were literally done the night before it was due, but whatever! I had fun doing it.

Image Image Image

Really, what I've always loved about writing is the characters, storytelling, and prose. I think filmmaking would be a more comfortable way for me to do these things, if anything.
Last edited by queen_of_painting on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check out my artwork in the link below!

film · food · art · words
queen_of_painting
Master Scarer

Postby Dragon of Omnipotency » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:29 pm

For the inhumanity he had dealt unto Jesus, for the thievery of His trust despite the foresight, for the very trade to the Devil he had made, Judas guiltily hid the noose behind his scruffy beard, and tugged the prickly texture of the rope tightly against his coarse skin. And as his hollow eyes were thrown over at the setting sun penetrating its blazing rays between the rusty set of parallel bars, as the air stifled and the livestock went mute, the very humane Judas could be then easily described as dropping dead.
~ Ominous' Description of Judas' Death

Yeah, I love writing. :lol:

My thought regarding literature involvement, be it creating or consuming its message to the world, is that it is nothing short of a genius' stroke. The first writer to have ever found himself (or herself) interested in telling a story through art is the very symbol of human's caring nature. One has to care in order to tell a good story, whether through a historic painting like our prehistoric ancestors did, a captivating film like E.T., or even through the most simple method of presenting your thoughts by carving words on the stone wall.

I would love to share my 'thoughts' about life with the rest of the world, but, when it comes to serious writing, four words come to my mind: freelancing, works, equally, well.

To me, being an author is a risky job. A riskier career than being a fireman, a Police officer, or even a soldier of the army. All three mentioned occupations could be accompanied with long hours of training, exercise, and practice. When you want to make a living through writing, however, it would matter little if you take up months of creative writing lessons. It is as good as comparing to the career of a singer, an actor, or a movie director; you require talent.

In short, your thoughts might not always sell.

However, discouraging any aspiring writers from pursuing this hobby is the least of my intentions. I say, go for it if you have the flair, go publish a book. As for this little Flare, I feel it would be better if my unstable writing skills if they be left cornered within the solid frame of my computer.

It is cheaper that way. :)

p.s.: queen_of_painting, I am loving that book. ;)
Advertisement of the moviepocalypse. LLGMs!
Dragon of Omnipotency
Toy Collector

Postby Roflcoptinator » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:44 am

No.

Love writing stories, but books are like, not for me.
Mother Gothel does not approve of smolder.
Roflcoptinator
Garbage Boy

Postby CMB » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:55 am

Depending on my accomplishments i would consider writing a book. But not until i've achieved my highly anticipated goals, and have worked in a professional atmosphere.

That way ill have the knowledge to spread to others hoping to do the same.

rather than just being some guy spreading useless words that lead up to a minor achievement.
Image.
CMB
Toy Collector

Postby wannabechef91 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:12 am

I had a draft for a novel called '[spoil]The Pontiff's Prophecy[/spoil]' 5 years ago, however, at that time, my computer ran by Windows ME and had a virus. I have no back up for that file, so, the draft was just gone...like that.

Currently I'm working on with '[spoil]The Journey[/spoil]'.
HARDCORE AWESOMENESS.
wannabechef91
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby KyrieEleison » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:12 am

Just thought I'd share something someone once wrote on another message board. I'm sharing it to encourage all the writers out there. Unfortunately, I don't remember his words exactly, so you're getting the KE paraphrase.

"It doesn't matter if you get paid for your work. If you write, no matter what or how much, you are a writer."

Of course, the guy ended up being a lying jerk, but at least his time (and mine reading his posts) wasn't a complete waste. Anyway, I hope that some of you who might be sitting on the fence about whether to write take this advice to heart. You don't have to write full-time. I don't even write full-time (maybe three-quarter-time at this point). And you don't have to write fiction. I'm not. Write whatever (fiction, non-fiction, script/screenplay, blogging) and however much makes you happy, and don't be afraid to share it with the world. (It doesn't have to be for sale; there are places that allow people to share their original fiction online.) You can't hope to improve if you don't try it.
KyrieEleison
Public Relations Secretary

Location: Waiting in line for my septuacentennial cup of cupcake... yes, still. It's a long line.

Postby wannabechef91 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:41 am

I agree with you, Kyrie.
HARDCORE AWESOMENESS.
wannabechef91
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Roflcoptinator » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:48 am

I can't believe I answered no :O lol

Actually for the past few months, I think starting in the summer. Me and my friend, who is like a super awesome writer, were both working on our stories, and we've been exchanging ideas and stuff. Abd so I'm writing a fantasy story, actually a very unpredictable and confusing one at that. :P But writing a fantasy meant having to read more fantasy, including all the LotR books :s
Mother Gothel does not approve of smolder.
Roflcoptinator
Garbage Boy

Postby BURN-E » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:58 am

Does writing comic books count? If so, then I am the esteemed writer of several unfinished comics! I mainly doodle pictures in class, but I could create stories out of what I imagine could have led up to whatever happened in the doodle. I only draw stick people, but each has a distinct nose, hairstyle, name (first and last), kids, and strangely enough, a religion. Of course, the main main MAIN character in my comics is.................................................................................................................me.
Sort of.
BURN-E
Mutant Toy

Location: Lost in my imagination without a GPS. I haven't eaten in three days.......

Postby little_chef_eva09 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Heck yes. Maybe several over the course of my lifetime. I actually have a 15-chapter novel written and in the serious editing, fleshing-out process. (My parents are pushing me to get it finished and published so it can make money.... :roll: I don't even think they've read it all the way through before, either, and they brag about it to like, everyone. :oops:)

little chef
// Find me on: deviantART // Twitter // Tumblr //
little_chef_eva09
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby annarborjack » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Do you really have to ask? YES! Everybody loves my stories! Like once,I wrote a story,and some people clapped at the end.
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Pixar Builder » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 am

I want to write a fictional autobiography about myself. That way, I can go back in time and change/edit parts I don't like, as well as give myself a robot army.
Join our new Flickr Group Pixar Planet Pixels today!

Pixar Builder
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby 1986 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:07 am

I've have these ideas for a novel about the future which have been stirring in my mind for years now. I have two or three (what I think are) really original ideas for it. However, the rest of my plot has been done before. Besides, how imaginative can you be with stories from the future when there's like a million of them? Ah well. At least me and my mind can enjoy the story! :)
Toy Story 3: greatest movie of the year.
Garbage Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic