Pixar Planet

Too much bias against Dreamworks

Come here to talk about all the other stuff on your mind.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby lennonluvr9 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:20 pm

thedriveintheatre wrote:Which 3 were they, lennonluvr9? ;)


2 of the Shreks (I think it was Shrek 1 and Shrek 3) and Kung Fu Panda
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
User avatar
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer
 
Posts: 3516
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:35 am
Location: Ohio

Postby thedriveintheatre » Mon May 24, 2010 3:04 pm

I recommend you check out Monsters vs Aliens and How to Train Your Dragon, two of their best films to date, lennonluvr9. ;) Also borrow their back catalogue of traditionally-animated films if you find them at your library/video store...
Image
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
User avatar
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator
 
Posts: 8464
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: Wandering Over Yonder

Postby Badger » Mon May 24, 2010 5:29 pm

THANK YOU!

I hate that stupid bias everyone has against Dreamworks. Sure, I used to as well, but How To Train Your Dragon made me think otherwise... much definitely so, yes...

They're indeed all hardworking people who want to make amazing movies, but then...
User avatar
Badger
AXIOM Crewmember
 
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby skunklover » Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 pm

I like a few of their movies like Over the Hedge and Spirit (I admit, I used to be crazy about Spirit, I have the game, the breyer horses, and even a had Spirit birthday.) Most of their movies, in my opinion, aren't very good though. Especially Shrek, I do not like crude humor. I don't hate them, I just don't like most of their films.
User avatar
skunklover
Toy Collector
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: I forgot where I live!!!

Postby Evil_Genius_27 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Though I much prefer Pixar over Dreamworks, I can admit there were a few DW movies I genuinely liked. HtTYD and Kung Fu Panda are their best so far. Over the Hedge, Shrek (the first one only) and Monsters Vs. Aliens made me chuckle, but lacked the heart of the first two, and were lightyears behind Pixar. The rest I don't find particularily memorable. My main problem with DW is their tendency to milk every last dollar they can out of a franchise, as Jess-E pointed out.
Image
I'm a proud Pixarteer!



.






.
User avatar
Evil_Genius_27
AXIOM Crewmember
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:11 pm
Location: A dream within a dream.

Postby little_chef_eva09 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Badger wrote:THANK YOU!

I hate that stupid bias everyone has against Dreamworks. Sure, I used to as well, but How To Train Your Dragon made me think otherwise... much definitely so, yes...

They're indeed all hardworking people who want to make amazing movies, but then...

This. This is my opinion exactly.

I'm much more open to the ideas of other film studios these days, willing to give them a chance and check out their work. HtTYD really broke down that single-minded view I had of animated films, which was basically "NO one is as good as Pixar and that's that! I'll watch it, but I'll STILL come out of it saying 'it wasn't as good as Pixar' just because it wasn't made by Pixar!"

I can say shamelessly and honestly that I rank HtTYD right up there with some of Pixar's best. It has so much of the heart and quality that Pixar itself has set the standard for in animated film, and though it lacks in different areas, it's altogether a beautiful and touching film that stole a precious piece of my heart. <3

And as a result, I've actually really been wanting to check out Shrek and Kung Fu Panda. And given my new train of thought, I have a good feeling I'm actually going to enjoy them both. There's this great sense of freedom that I've discovered since seeing HtTYD, like, there's so much more out there than Pixar movies, almost.... I know that sounds really stupid, but it's really true. :lol:

I actually used to really enjoy their older 2D works, like The Prince of Egypt, Chicken Run (though I think that one was simply produced by DW), Joseph: King of Dreams, and Spirit. (I feel like I'm forgetting a few... :lol:) So I can never really say that I've always hated Dreamworks with a passion. It's only once they started making all these ridiculous sequels, as well as several really crappy movies that are an embarrassment to film, and stretching a franchise way past what it's worth did I begin to feel disdain for them. (Still not 100% sold on the idea of a sequel to HtTYD, but I guess as long as DeBlois and Sanders direct it again, I can breathe easy until I see it.)

I'm going to say it right here and right now - some Pixar fans can be absolute annoying tunnel-visioned sticklers who won't open their minds to any other animated film, and that's recently started to bother me. I kinda used to be that way myself, and I'm so glad I've gotten over it.

Thank you, Dreamworks, for finally creating an incredible film that I can say with my whole heart I loved just as much as Ratatouille and WALL•E - a film that broadened my perspective and taught me to appreciate a movie despite the company who may have produced it.

Ahh, that felt really good to get off my chest. :D

little chef
// Find me on: deviantART // Twitter // Tumblr //
User avatar
little_chef_eva09
Pixar Planet Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3205
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:44 am
Location: Mars

Postby lizardgirl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:31 pm

To be honest, I don't think the problems come when a Pixar fan here is trying to declare their love for one of Dreamworks' films.. You're a really good case in point, red- you obviously absolutely adore How To Train Your Dragon, have given some very valid reasons for that, and no-one has any cause to doubt you.

The problems arise when a Pixar fan goes along to see the latest Dreamworks film with an open mind, genuinely likes it but perhaps doesn't rate it as highly as their favourite Pixar movies- not because it was made by Dreamworks, but just because it didn't quite resonate with them in the same way or for any other number of reasons- and finds themselves being doubted because it comes across as though they don't like the film simply because Dreamworks made it. I, personally, have really enjoyed some of Dreamworks past films (Antz is one of my favourites of theirs) but I find it difficult when I do go to see a Dreamworks film, especially one that has been highly acclaimed by critics and fans alike, and find myself perhaps just not enjoying it to such an extent but then not being able to express this without feeling as though I'm doing so 'just because it's a Dreamworks film'. Even though this isn't the case.

But there's never any reason to be nasty about Dreamworks aside from the usual fun-poking. As Badger said, there are some very hard-working people at this studio and they deserve to be recognised.

Well, that was long-winded. :lol:
Image
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
User avatar
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator
 
Posts: 8786
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:37 pm
Location: Sussex, England

Postby little_chef_eva09 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:42 pm

I agree with you 100% lizardgirl, cuz sometimes I feel like that myself with movies all my friends rave about. I'll willingly watch it with them, open-mindedly, and it just doesn't click with me. They'll be laughing and crying and getting right into it while I feel nothing. So you have no reason to be ashamed of not particularly caring for any given film just because it seems as though everyone else likes it, but like you said it's especially hard given the fact that you're already established as a Pixar fan, and the fact that "omg! You didn't completely love HtTYD!", people will automatically put on that old Pixar-fans-hate-Dreamworks label. Hey, I'm a Pixar fan, and I don't necessarily love every single one of their movies - it doesn't make me (or anyone else, for that matter) disloyal in the least, everyone just has different things they like and don't like in a movie.

So yeah, totally see where you're coming from. I'm really sorry if my last post made it sound like I was bashing you - I wasn't trying to bash anyone in particular; that view of rabid Pixar fans just seems to be somewhat widespread now that I stand back and look at it. xDD

little chef
// Find me on: deviantART // Twitter // Tumblr //
User avatar
little_chef_eva09
Pixar Planet Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3205
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:44 am
Location: Mars

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:19 pm

I do like(some of) their films. I don't think they're all bad, I just don't like them as well. Note: I have not seen Monsters VS Aliens, Madagascar 2, Spirit, or Kung Fu Panda, so maybe those are the big point I'm missing here, but I'm really over Shrek. Prince of Egypt is one of my favorite non-Disney, non-Pixar cartoons, but the others just outweigh it.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
User avatar
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:56 am
Location: Ba Sing Se, searching for my lost bison

Postby thedriveintheatre » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36 am

I hate that stupid bias everyone has against Dreamworks. Sure, I used to as well, but How To Train Your Dragon made me think otherwise... much definitely so, yes...

They're indeed all hardworking people who want to make amazing movies, but then...

This. This is my opinion exactly.

Haha, I guess Hiccup's line in your current sig really does reflect your 'paradigm shift' for Dreamworks, huh? :) I agree... people, you should check out 'The Art of' books for DW films like KFP, Monsters and Dragons. Some of the artists are just as amazing (if not sometimes better) than the pool at Pixar, but it's a shame they're talent is wasted on mediocre scripts and insane production cycles.

I'll watch it, but I'll STILL come out of it saying 'it wasn't as good as Pixar' just because it wasn't made by Pixar!

You have no idea how many times I've heard that line on the forums I visit. It gets old, people. :roll:

And as a result, I've actually really been wanting to check out Shrek and Kung Fu Panda.

*Splutter* You mean, you haven't? :shock: What the... go see 'em now! I also recommend Monsters vs Aliens and Over The Hedge. ;)

...I loved just as much as Ratatouille and WALL•E - a film that broadened my perspective and taught me to appreciate a movie despite the company who may have produced it.

Seconded!

.....

The problems arise when a Pixar fan goes along to see the latest Dreamworks film with an open mind, genuinely likes it but perhaps doesn't rate it as highly as their favourite Pixar movies- not because it was made by Dreamworks, but just because it didn't quite resonate with them in the same way or for any other number of reasons- and finds themselves being doubted because it comes across as though they don't like the film simply because Dreamworks made it.

Wow, I never thought of 'reverse Pixar discrimination'! :shock: I know you feel some sense of personal guilt or confusion when you say you didn't like a DW film, but have any of your friends actually used the 'Pixar fangirl' card against you? I'm just curious, cos' my friends don't take sides, so if I ranted on a DW film, they usually agree, and not tease that I said it because I'm a Pixar geek. Come to think of it, I don't know whether they think I am one in the first place. :lol:

.....

Note: I have not seen Monsters VS Aliens, Madagascar 2, Spirit, or Kung Fu Panda

Okay, Incredigirl, you should really, really, really see the last two. First two... eh, still worth a watch, they're above average. But Spirit and KFP are like among DW's best for their respective mediums (2D and 3D). :D

.....

Okay, I basically answered the previous posters' comments. :P But yes, I'm an 'Equal Opportunity Moviegoer'. If I like it, I like it. Don't hate the film, hate the creator. In this case, the bald scarecrow whose last name rhymes with 'Carlsberg' is the enemy. ;)
Image
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
User avatar
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator
 
Posts: 8464
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: Wandering Over Yonder

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:49 pm

I would love to give those films a chance, but I have no means to do so. And no one say the library; my mom owes them money, and they don't carry recent movies.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
User avatar
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:56 am
Location: Ba Sing Se, searching for my lost bison

Postby Biggest_Pixar_Fan_Ami » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:49 pm

:laugh:
thedriveintheatre wrote:Don't hate the film, hate the creator. In this case, the bald scarecrow whose last name rhymes with 'Carlsberg' is the enemy. ;)


LOL! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
But yes, I agree with TDIT. I do like some of DW's films- Shrek1+2, MvA, Over the Hedge, and KFP. Some moments can be hilarious too. I know I come across as a real DW Hater at times, but most of it isn't serious- the only thing that I detest about it is the "Bald Scarecrow" who despises Lasseter (lovin' the reference to JK, TDIT!)
Image

I'm one of the 3 originating Pixarteers!

2016: Celebrating 30 years of Pixar, 10 years of my Pixar fandom, Finding Dory's release, my 21st birthday, my university graduation, and Leicester City winning the Premier League
User avatar
Biggest_Pixar_Fan_Ami
AXIOM Crewmember
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: England

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Biggest_Pixar_Fan_Ami wrote:the only thing that I detest about it is the "Bald Scarecrow" who despises Lasseter (lovin' the reference to JK, TDIT!)


Well, losers hate winners. Therefore, Jeff Katz hates our precious John Lasseter.
No more let life divide what death can join together.
User avatar
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:56 am
Location: Ba Sing Se, searching for my lost bison

Postby Biggest_Pixar_Fan_Ami » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:26 pm

IncredigirlVirginia wrote: Well, losers hate winners. Therefore, Jeff Katz hates our precious John Lasseter.


Totally! LOL! JK sure is a loser- just as much as John is precious (and that's a heck of a lot <3 Lasseter rules!) :D
Image

I'm one of the 3 originating Pixarteers!

2016: Celebrating 30 years of Pixar, 10 years of my Pixar fandom, Finding Dory's release, my 21st birthday, my university graduation, and Leicester City winning the Premier League
User avatar
Biggest_Pixar_Fan_Ami
AXIOM Crewmember
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: England

Postby IncredigirlVirginia » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 pm

I assumed you'd agree :D
No more let life divide what death can join together.
User avatar
IncredigirlVirginia
Super Hero
 
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:56 am
Location: Ba Sing Se, searching for my lost bison

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron