Pixar Planet

Thinkway's Toy Story Collection

Talk about Pixar's three Toy Story movies here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby Pieman411 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:16 pm

i the new john lasseter video http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyLivin ... V7-OGksmXc
the third one in series, the package for Mr.potato head can be seen!
Last edited by Pieman411 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pieman411
Garbage Boy

Postby Kyle » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Wow, after seeing that I see his mouth isn't articulated at all. How dissapointing.
I wouldn't expect it with any other toy, but the mouth is such a big part of this toy, his jaw hinge takes up a lot of space on his head, to have it be a fake hinge is just so lame.
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

Certificates display

Postby tripoli » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:24 pm

I have thought a really nice part of the series has been the certificates. I ended up purchasing the Ultra Pro 5X7 screw down series acrylic displays. This allowed me to pop them in a very nice clear protected sleeve that makes for a nice display piece in itself. Well worth getting, you can find them through sport card shops out there fairly cheap.

Now, if Thinkway Toys can really send me my missing bucket of soldiers certificate...
tripoli
Mutant Toy

Postby Sheriff Woody Pride » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Kyle wrote:Wow, after seeing that I see his mouth isn't articulated at all. How dissapointing.
I wouldn't expect it with any other toy, but the mouth is such a big part of this toy, his jaw hinge takes up a lot of space on his head, to have it be a fake hinge is just so lame.

Yeah, that kinda sucks, otherwise awesome Rex toy, though.

Here's the closest look we've gotten so far at the Mr. Potato Head packaging, as seen in John Lasseter's Rex video:

Sheriff Woody Pride
Garbage Boy

Postby Kyle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 am

How about some nice pics of RC? havnt seen any so far.
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

Postby Pieman411 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:03 am

cool thanks for that close.....anyway that pic of the whole toy story collection from the disneyconsumerproducts website has remove mr. potato head from the picture
Pieman411
Garbage Boy

Postby Kyle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:21 am

wow, what is it with Mr Potato head dissapearing all the time? first the amazon listing, now this, along with the fact that he was never listed on Disney's site or Thinkway's. Next thing you know he wont be in Toy Story 3. lol

and they had to confuse us further by showing us him in the box in John's video. wish they'd clear this all up. is he just not ready to release at this time? some kind of delay and their trying to downplay him for a while? makes little sense to me.
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

Postby Sheriff Woody Pride » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:16 am

Pieman411 wrote:cool thanks for that close.....anyway that pic of the whole toy story collection from the disneyconsumerproducts website has remove mr. potato head from the picture

Also, that pic shows a Rex with what looks like a real mouth hinge, which the one that is being released seems to lack... Maybe the released Rex does have a working mouth hinge? In the video, the one in the box seems to have its mouth open wider than the one out of package. :? :?:
Sheriff Woody Pride
Garbage Boy

Postby Pieman411 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:27 am

Thinkway really needs to get their facts straight and let us know officaily if mr. potato head is coming out and if rexs jaw can move,they're really starting to annoy me.
Pieman411
Garbage Boy

Postby Death Ray » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:39 am

I'm guessing that Rex has a ratchet jaw under a rubberish skin, like Buzz's torso. I don't know why Thinkway would do that, instead of the more accurate and simpler hard plastic hinge.
Death Ray
Ant

Postby Kyle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:41 am

Sheriff Woody Pride wrote:Also, that pic shows a Rex with what looks like a real mouth hinge, which the one that is being released seems to lack... Maybe the released Rex does have a working mouth hinge? In the video, the one in the box seems to have its mouth open wider than the one out of package. :? :?:

I thought that too, however if you look at the pic of him in the box on the disney store, you'll see it was a fixed hinge all along. either that or these are pics of early prototypes, and we're seeing two versions. I agree that one definetly looks like a hinge, but I also considered maybe its just the lighting making the nooks and cranies more resesed than they really are.

I did notice the mouths appeared to be open wider in one compared to another, but I think the one in the box might just be propped up in the package, creating that illusion.

I dunno, so many posibilties here.

Anyway, I'll be returning my Buzz tomorrow at toys r us, since his toy mode apparently doesn't work. (red oval never does anything). I'm afraid of what my replacement will look like though. Will the box be worse than my already bad box (but still somehow in better shape than others Ive seen)? Will it work correctly? Will the paint job be as good? I was fairly happy with the paint job on mine, mine has the neck completely painted up to the seam under the chin, the way it should, unlike others Ive seen that stop just short of where it should.

Oh, and someone asked about the army men certificate, I could have sworn mine came with one, until I went to look for it and cant seem to find it. hope it didnt get thrown out accidently...I think it does come with one though, I seem to remember seeing sarge on it, which is odd because that was the one character that wasn't in the bucket at all.

I may end up buying Rex if I spot one tomorrow. hinge or no hinge.

but if I cant find him, and I do fine RC, I might not have the will power to hold out. My next toy story toy will be the last one I can get in a while.

Edit: I found this pic on another forum. seems like the final version is fixed.
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

Postby Sheriff Woody Pride » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Kyle wrote:...I seem to remember seeing sarge on it, which is odd because that was the one character that wasn't in the bucket at all.

Turns out that one of the parachute soldiers, the one with the smaller gun and binoculars, is actually Sarge. Yeah, they messed up on that one... :roll:

A question about the soldiers: Are they accurate (size, color, bucket, etc.)?

And a question about Woody: Is he accurately floppy? I still have the original '90s Woody doll from Thinkway, and, while it is made of cloth, it is WAY too stiff.

Kyle wrote:Edit: I found this pic on another forum. seems like the final version is fixed.

Yes, but the pic of the Rex above has his mouth much more open than the one in the video:

I am confused...

EDIT: Check out what I found on another forum:

"weird what they did with the jaw articulation. his mouth moves, but the head seems to be all one piece, or at least the same piece as the jaw. maybe it's a softer plastic where the lower jaw moves? weird.."

And there you go. Rex's mouth does move.
Sheriff Woody Pride
Garbage Boy

Postby Kyle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:07 pm

the soldiers seem very accurate to me in their size and sculpts. their color seems a tad too vibrant to me, but I think lighting has a lot to do with ithe way they look in the movie. their scale is perfect. the bucket is very nice and accurate in design, but for me the toy story logos kinda ruin the feel of it. in my pictures I have to cleverly set the pic up so that the logo's are hidden or covered. but they made it so one is always facing you one way or another.

Good to hear about Rex's jaw. I mean, I would have prefered hard plastic 2 pieces, seems like the more logical way to do it, but Im glad it does move.
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

Postby Sheriff Woody Pride » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:44 pm

Kyle wrote:the soldiers seem very accurate to me in their size and sculpts. their color seems a tad too vibrant to me, but I think lighting has a lot to do with ithe way they look in the movie. their scale is perfect. the bucket is very nice and accurate in design, but for me the toy story logos kinda ruin the feel of it. in my pictures I have to cleverly set the pic up so that the logo's are hidden or covered. but they made it so one is always facing you one way or another.

Good to hear about Rex's jaw. I mean, I would have prefered hard plastic 2 pieces, seems like the more logical way to do it, but Im glad it does move.

Kyle, if you do see a Rex in the store, can you check if his mouth does move?

Also, I have a question about Woody: Is he accurately floppy? I still have the original '90s Woody doll from Thinkway, and, while it is made of cloth, it is WAY too stiff. Also, does his hat fit well; accurate to the movie?

Its too bad they had to ruin the look of the packaging of all the toys with the Toy Story logo. I wish the logos were all on wrap-around banners that could be removed from the packages when unwrapped. Oh well. :?
Sheriff Woody Pride
Garbage Boy

Postby Kyle » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Woody is pretty stiff, even more so than the 90s one in my opinion.

And I'll of course check Rex if I see him, but it sound like we already have an answer.
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

PreviousNext

Return to Toy Story