Pixar Planet

Your Toy Story 3 Reviews

Talk about Pixar's three Toy Story movies here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby Pixarinho* » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Just watched it online, I give it a 9.5/10, it was very good. :)
Did drag a bit in the middle, and the scenes with Ken and Barbie were quite annoying, the last 15 minutes ([spoil]minus the cheesy ending with Andy and Bonnie[/spoil]), were amazing :D.

EDIT - Please use spoiler tags when revealing spoilers, however minor they may be, thanks!

-lizardgirl
Pixarinho*
Garbage Boy

Postby Oh_Andy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:04 pm

wannabechef91 wrote:YouUnculturedSwine: Ditto. I saw it two times, yet I still shocked with Lotso. Big time.

That [spoil]he's evil[/spoil]?

I liked that cheesy ending. ):
Oh_Andy
Ant

Postby wannabechef91 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Oh_Andy: Yep.
HARDCORE AWESOMENESS.
wannabechef91
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby karly05 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:47 pm

I am also in the "You have to see it twice" camp. I liked it the first time, but it's also a bit overwhelming the first time, because it does feel like a darker, more mature and challenging film than TS and TS2, closer to the Ratatouille/WALL-E/Up trio (as one might expect). The second time, though, everything clicked, and I just got swept up in it (and ended up with tears running down my face). I know one thing that changed for me on trip 2 - regarding Barbie and Ken:

[spoil]Trip one, when Barbie cries and begs Ken to take her to the dream house, and Ken puts on his fashion show - it felt like a digression from this tense plot - why are they taking time to do this when we have more important things going on? But on trip two - aha, now you know that this "digression" is part of the bigger plot, and Barbie is using Ken to further the escape plan. I love the gag of Barbie disguised in Ken's astronaut suit - and Bookworm's reaction to the high heels.[/spoil]

Oh, and something I don't think I said in my earlier review - Bud Luckey was so great as Chuckles. When he tells [spoil]Lotso's backstory - that world-weary voice is just perfect. "Lotso wasn't my friend any more. He wasn't anybody's friend."[/spoil]
karly05
Toy Collector

Postby K9Girl » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:50 pm

I just got back. It. Was. AWESOME.
Funniest parts:
[spoil] I really liked the Mr. Tortilla Head part. I don't know why, it was just really funny! I also liked the Spanish Buzz scenes a lot.[/spoil]
Saddest parts:
[spoil] I got really sad when Woody and the toys started saying goodbye, but I came REALLY close to crying when Andy gave his toys to Bonnie. That was so sad. :'( [/spoil]
Freakiest parts:
[spoil] I got freaked out during the landfill sequence, my heart started beating really fast. And that monkey! That monkey was just really freaky! :shock: [/spoil]
I don't know if I would say this is my favorite Pixar movie. It's sure to be up there in the top 4, but I'll need another showing to find out where. But, one thing I'm sure about : I am SO going to see that again!
K9Girl
Master Scarer

Location: Warning my friends about the free pistachio ice cream

Postby YouUnculturedSwine » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Does anyone else get chills in the beginning when [spoil]the "You've Got a Friend in Me" sequence goes to that echoe-ish black when it says "and as the years go by, our friendship will never die."?[/spoil] Everytime I see that I actually get goosebumps. The first time I saw it, right before that phrase, I knew that was gonna happen!
What are you looking at you hockey puck?
YouUnculturedSwine
Garbage Boy

Postby mo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 am

So, Toy Story 3 is definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year. The movie had so much to offer. It had comedy, it had great characters, and, most importantly, it had heart. I think it's amazing that even though this is the third movie, it's still awesome in so many ways, and you don't see that many three movies like that. I'd definitely give this a 9.5/10, I loved it. <3
Tumblr is where I spend most of my online time these days
mo
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Danachii » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 am

I just came back from watching Toy Story 3, and... I cried. A lot. I don't think there's ever been a movie that's grabbed me so emotionally. And I've cried during other Pixar films, but this film, just... it just really grabbed my heart and touched it in a way that's never been touched before, you know? :cry: Especially when [spoil]Andy gives up all of his toys to Bonnie at the end of the movie. It perfectly illustrates how every child will always have to grow up and move on someway or another. When that happened, it made me think of my own toys, and how I had to give them up too. It really made me cry like a big baby.[/spoil] And honestly; I don't care if it's just fiction, or if they're "just toys." It still really made me emotional anyways, and I don't care if other people think I'm weird because of it or something. :oops: lol

Anyway, the funniest parts of the movie for ME was [spoil]all the scenes between Barbie and Ken. They were so funny. Especially during the scenes where Babie gets him to try on all his clothes, and the way Ken tries on all of them and does different poses with different dances... me and my cousin were cracking up so much. It was TOO funny.[/spoil] And also the whole [spoil]spanish Buzz thing was absolutely HILARIOUS. When Buzz was speaking in spanish to Woody, and the did the little *kiss kiss* thing, I was laughing my butt off SO much.[/spoil] 8D

The thing that really grind my teeth was [spoil]the friggin' Monkey. God, he was so ANNOYING and just plain CREEPY. Like, the way his eyes would pop out and the way he'd screamed... just, ugh, SO creepy.[/spoil]. I was even surprised how there were a lot of dark and scary moments in this film, like how [spoil]Lotso starts hitting Big Baby. [/spoil] I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of kids in the audience who were putt off and even scared by that. All the humor and comedy did make up for those bits, though. XD

Overall, the movie was just AMAZING. I absolutely loved it. It had heart, it had humor, it had action, it even had ROMANCE ([spoil]I loved all the Buzz x Jessie moments in it. <3 Gosh, they were so cute![/spoil]). It also had emotional scenes; it had EVERYTHING. <3 And it gets a perfect 9.5/10 from me!
Last edited by Danachii on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not active here anymore.
Danachii
Garbage Boy

Postby Dinoco » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:16 am

YouUnculturedSwine wrote:Does anyone else get chills in the beginning when [spoil]the "You've Got a Friend in Me" sequence goes to that echoe-ish black when it says "and as the years go by, our friendship will never die."?[/spoil] Everytime I see that I actually get goosebumps. The first time I saw it, right before that phrase, I knew that was gonna happen!
I semi-expected it, but it was just another clever move for the opening. Gosh, I just loved the first five minutes of this movie to death.
Dinoco
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby PixarMistress » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:31 pm

I have seen Toy Story 3 and loved it... although, it is darker than the first two, just to warn those who have not seen it yet...
PixarMistress
Ant

Postby K9Girl » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

YouUnculturedSwine wrote:Does anyone else get chills in the beginning when [spoil]the "You've Got a Friend in Me" sequence goes to that echoe-ish black when it says "and as the years go by, our friendship will never die."?[/spoil] Everytime I see that I actually get goosebumps. The first time I saw it, right before that phrase, I knew that was gonna happen!

Yeah, that part did kind of creep me out a little.
K9Girl
Master Scarer

Location: Warning my friends about the free pistachio ice cream

Postby Ding » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:50 am

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! [spoil]The way they cut it out just gives me the shivers. Like all the instruments drop out first, and then it's just "Our friendship will never die." And then after that the picture cuts to black abruptly and all that's left is this ghastly echo.[/spoil] I totally saw that part coming, but it still gives me the chills.
Ding
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Romazo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:08 am

The bar was raised high for Toy Story 3, after the first two, but not only did they reach the bar. They went to infinity and beyond. :wink:

Overall score: ∞/10.
Romazo

Postby CountSolo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:02 am

At long last, after six years, another movie has finally surpassed The Incredibles as my favourite Pixar film of all time. Toy Story 3 is, quite simply, pure cinematic perfection. I watched it with a bunch of close friends earlier today and we all came out realizing we've all just witnessed a masterpiece (the 11th masterpiece in a row for Pixar). My revised list is as follows:

1. Toy Story 3
2. The Incredibles
3. Up
4. Finding Nemo
5. WALL-E
6. Ratatouille
7. Toy Story 2
8. Toy Story
9. A Bug's Life
10. Monsters, Inc.
11. Cars

Lesson? Pixar can do no wrong.

By the way, if eligible, the song that plays at the end of the movie has, in my opinion, a great shot at being nominated for Best Original Song at the Oscars. I also think Pixar's second Best Picture nomination is in the bag (it has a very good chance of winning, in fact). Yep, it's that darn good.
Latest movie(s) to make it to my list of top films:
"Toy Story 3" (#5 spot)

My List of Favorite Films

A List of Films that I'm Interested in Seeing

An Assortment of Film-Related Lists
CountSolo
Garbage Boy

Postby thedriveintheatre » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 pm

So I got back from my viewing of Toy Story 3, and it was one of the best cinema experiences I had this year. I went with only one of my friends, as the others bailed on us and went to watch Shrek Forever After instead. :-( The previews were good; Tangled, Rio and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole. I'm mad that Greater Union (now rebranded Event Cinemas) chose not to screen Day & Night like they with Up last year for Partly Cloudy, so Sydneysiders take note. I don't know what the other chains are up to, but do not watch at the one in George Street if you plan on seeing the (supposed-to-be) attached short. :x

Anyway, back to the film. Yes, it's spectacular. Yes, Pixar has done the impossible and not only kept up their winning streak, but made a second good sequel, completing one of the best all-rounded trilogies since Lord of the Rings and the original Star Wars. The plot as I'm sure most of you discerned from the trailer is a homage to prison-escape movies. Universal themes intrinsic to the human experience such as loss, abandonment, betrayal and acceptance are covered, which is one of Pixar's primary strengths as a storyteller, unlike other studios which settle for generic parodies or heavy-handed sermonizing.

The opening sequence, in my opinion, is Pixar's most entertaining to date. Certainly not the most emotional, since Finding Nemo, WALL-E or Up can lay claim to that. But as the most visually-'epic' and over-the-top fun, a resounding yes. This is one of the few scenes I think deserve the big-screen treatment, especially if there is an IMAX or similar megascreen nearby which you can take full advantage of. The rest of the movie is pretty okay, since it would be nice to see it from a toy's perspective on a large-format, but not entirely necessary. Oh, yeah, and the climax, too, that also warrants the theatre visit.

Characters are endearing, though I didn't connect with them as deeply as I did for How to Train Your Dragon, TS3's biggest rival for Best Animated Ghetto next year. Maybe it was a sense of character-overload, or that the villain's motivation felt a bit weak (not to mention selfish) to me. Although I have to say the villain's backstory scene in particular had brilliant cinematography, and ranks right up there with Jessie's 'When She Loved Me' for emotional impact.

I felt the secondary character's were more fleshed-out, I loved the Ken and Barbie romance subplot, and Dalton, Garlin and Hunt delivered great V-O performances as Mr. Pricklepants, Trixie and Dolly respectively.

As for the protagonists, Woody's story was the strongest and the main focal point of the entire film, which I appreciated. There are some sweet scenes which pretty much confirms any doubts about [spoil]Buzz and Jessie-shippers[/spoil]. Rex, my favourite side character, gets more screentime, and the Potato Heads' married-couple relationship is adorable.

The funniest scenes for me were [spoil]Mr. Tortilla Head[/spoil], anytime Ken walks, [spoil]Pricklepants 'shushing'[/spoil] and Spanish Buzz (which bears similarities to WALL-E's reboot). The audience in my audience laughed hardest for the first and the last. The climax has to be one of the scariest and most intense of any Pixar film to date (although it is again reminiscent of [spoil]'Garbage Airlock' in WALL-E[/spoil]). I actually swore in terror ("Oh s***!") when I saw the [spoil]spinning blades of death[/spoil], and seriously thought that [spoil]all of them, or at least some, were going to perish in the fire-pit[/spoil] (cos' if any Western studio is capable of a sad ending, it's Pixar). I was also shocked with [spoil]Bo-Peep's departure, and of Lotso's irredeemable betrayal even after Woody and Buzz saved him.[/spoil]

The ending, much like How to Train Your Dragon, was perfect. It is unexpected (I thought [spoil]Woody was going to write for Andy to send the rest back to Sunnyside[/spoil]), bittersweet, and poignant. A couple of audience members kinda ruined the mood by laughing when [spoil]Andy gazed too longingly at the gang before driving away[/spoil] (and I had to agree it got a tad melodramatic), but, darn it, it was the best way to send this saga off on a high note. I was close to tears, and my friend agreed "the ending was very good". Other weepie-moments are [spoil]Andy's mum being affected by Andy's departure (something which my mum also did when I went off to college, and which I can totally relate to) and the gang holding hands as they face their mortality in the fire-pit.[/spoil]

All in all, this is another entry into Pixar's stellar line of masterpieces, and I'm very proud they have continued to set the bar for not just animation, but film in general. It's time the movie business sit up and take notice, and I'll be darned if the Academy doesn't nominate Pixar for Best Pic again next year.

In terms of the Pixar pantheon, I personally felt it was better paced and heartbreaking than Up (probably because I grew up with the first two films), but does not quite match WALL-E for true cinematic moments or fantastic settings (although again, the opening sequence is worth the price of admission alone).

In comparison with its direct competitor Dragon, it's sort of like the Up/Avatar conundrum last year. In extremely simple terms, Up=TS3 and Avatar=HTTYD for me. One is very emotionally-draining and difficult to watch multiple times, while the other is more digestible and relatable for me. But they are both very, very, very good, and I'll be hard-pressed to pick the better one. Definitely Film of the Year, if Inception or Ga'Hoole don't impress me.
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Toy Story