Pixar Planet

Sequels

Talk about Pixar's upcoming features including any other confirmed, unnamed, or rumored projects here until enough discussion has been generated to warrant their own forum.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby lizardgirl » Mon May 04, 2009 11:03 am

JD wrote:
No, no MI2. No sequel from Pixar, ever again, except Cars 3 :twisted: , please.

I agree totally. Apart from the bit about Cars 3, that is. Cars 2 is enough to deal with at the moment.

If someone can prove to me that making a sequel to a Pixar film already in existence is better than making an all-new, all-original Pixar film, then I might reconsider my opinions. But until someone says something along the lines of, "oh no, I would've much preferred a The Incredibles 2 over WALL-E" or "A Bugs Life 2 would've been a much better idea than Finding Nemo" then I can't see how anyone can be in favour of Pixar making sequels whatsoever. This is just my opinion, of course, but to me the other side doesn't make sense.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby JD » Mon May 04, 2009 12:10 pm

annarborjack wrote:dude, Pixar movies take YEARS to make, and Dreamworks rushes with it, while Pixar takes there time. So don't complain about that, please.

Oh believe me I'd rather have to wait 2 years for an original Pixar film. If they want to take their time with original films like Miyazaki then have as much time as they want. You know TS2 was rushed to death right?

Don't waste those years with sequel. Don't waste eleven years to "come up with a story" for a sequel. Do something original. There's no point and enough with all "there must be a story worth telling". Come on, like we don't know where Cars 2 comes from.

They can make dozen sequels and they can all be good but then they'll have eaten their own words years ago, when they're still a small studio. Never do what has been done. Always explore new places. Never dilute the brand with countless pointless sequels.

Up still goes new places. And I can live with TS3 because after all, it made Pixar what it is now. The Bear and the Bow, while a little too similar to Disney Princess stories, still exciting because it's the first Pixar princess story and they may still find new way to do it. But Cars 2 is a little bit much. MI2 if true is the most pointless thing ever from Pixar.

If you want to make sequels, do 'em right and push 'em out a flick every 3 years. I'm cranky like that.
JD
Shark Bait

Postby annarborjack » Tue May 05, 2009 12:49 am

Toy Story 2 being rushed? I disagree.
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ROBONICS95 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:19 am

Interesting comments in the new Jim Hill article that I thought you would be interested in reading:

When asked about any upcoming sequels, Donald admitted that he knew which films Disney & Pixar had in the works through 2013 but wasn’t at liberty to talk about any unannounced projects. But that said, Evans insisted that it wasn’t a co-incidence that the two sequels that were already in the works (i.e. “Toy Story 3” and “Cars 2”) were John Lasseter’s films.

“Pixar is a director-drive studio. And we only go forward with sequels if the director who came up with the original film has an idea that he’s really passionate about,” Donald explained. “And John, he knows those characters. He’s got other stories that he wants to tell that are set in those worlds.”

And since Pixar insists on changing genres whenever it makes sequels, you shouldn’t expect that same-old-same-old with “Cars 2.” Whereas the first “Cars” was a kind of a fish-out-of-water story, the “Cars” sequel (which is set on the international racing circuit) has an entirely different style and tone.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/nancy_sta ... esent.aspx
ROBONICS95
Shark Bait

Postby nathan » Mon May 11, 2009 8:09 am

annarborjack wrote:Toy Story 2 being rushed? I disagree.

Toy Story 2 actually was rushed, watch the Pixar Story documentary. It's still good though.
Toy Story 3 count: 7
Cars 2 count: 1
Brave count: 2
nathan
Garbage Boy

Postby annarborjack » Mon May 11, 2009 11:10 am

Wow! I never knew that, and its still fantastic! I want to see them rush Cars 2.
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Mark-E » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 am

Lightning doesn't strike twice (pardon the pun), rushing Cars would only hurt it. As I feel that a sequel to that movie would be much harder to make something decent out of than say...toy story 2 was.

I'm glad i'm not the only person who seems to be getting a little alarmed at the rate in which Pixar seem to be pumping out the sequels, or planning to do so. It does seem mighty unoriginal to me, even if the films are technically good. I think LizardGirl put is best. Who wants a sequel to cars when they can have a movie like Wall-E?

I was a little disappointed, I suppose. To me, Pixar always seemed like the studio who were constantly putting out the most original work. No adaptations, hardly ever any sequels, etc.

But with this in mind, it must get annoying for people like Brad Bird who with every new movie he releases just gets asked in interviews "How about a sequel to the incredibles?"

I guess we just have to remember that beyond this forum there is a public demand for certain movies to have sequels because of how popular they are. All we can really do is cross our fingers and hope they turn out okay so that Pixar can eventually go back to making their original movies once again.
Mark-E
Garbage Boy

Postby annarborjack » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:12 am

Ohhh look here:
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Dragon of Omnipotency » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:36 am

Mark-E wrote:Who wants a sequel to cars when they can have a movie like Wall-E?

As far as bad sequels go, I think it is fun for Cars to get a sequel. Despite its dismiss, Cars actually have a good number of fans, including myself (who's not a particular fan of WALL-E so to speak), so we are excited for this future sequel, regardless of its quality.

Sure, it might turn out bad, but we are just idiotic like that, wanting to open that Pandora's Box because of the temptation.
Advertisement of the moviepocalypse. LLGMs!
Dragon of Omnipotency
Toy Collector

Postby Mark-E » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:11 am

I'm not particularly sure what Iron Man has to do with Pixar, but it's not my place to pry :lol:

And I do totally understand that outside of this forum there is a lot of demand for sequels. And I wouldn't want to deny the people who genuinely want to see a follow up so bad their opportunity to see the continued adventures, etc.

I do hold out hope that the sequels won't be bad, in fact. I'm sure they won't be because i trust this studio more than most. And if they're going to do a sequel, i'm sure that they're going to do it correctly. To be perfectly honest, I don't even hate cars. I found it surprisingly enjoyable as far as movies about vehicles go. I think it has ranked just above Duel in the vehicles with their own personality movies!
Mark-E
Garbage Boy

Postby annarborjack » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:12 am

It says Sequels not Pixar Sequels. I can put any kind of sequel I want .
annarborjack
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby The Star Swordsman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:25 am

annarborjack wrote:It says Sequels not Pixar Sequels. I can put any kind of sequel I want .
Yeah, but this is located in the "Upcoming Features" thread in the Pixar Feature Films section of the forums. :P :wink:
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Dragon of Omnipotency » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:36 am

In address to benp88's locked thread:

I know a lot of movies suffer a movie life cycle where:
  1. An original movie is created.
  2. A copy of that original idea is made, mostly a sequel.
  3. Everyone starts to get tired of the franchise.
  4. Burnout. Remakes, reboots and parodies are made.

But, with Pixar, specifically Toy Story 2, I was glad that it didn't suffer such a cycle. Maybe it got a little bit tiring, but the big TS fans would probably love the sequel as much as I would love a The Incredibles sequel. As I've always wrote, following our hearts is always easier than following our minds, even if it is inappropriate to do so at certain times.

But even if one of the major reasons we desire sequels is because we love the characters, with Pixar's case, the chances of that going wrong is going to be slim, as far as I can tell at the moment. Even if it does go wrong, we will still love it and would definitely prefer them to be made than not. To take an example, there is Terminator 2: Judgment Day. It wasn't as good when compared to the first one in terms of certain elements being kind of silly when the first one's totally serious, but I still love it and wouldn't have it not be made just because of these little nitpicks, simply because I love the characters and the franchise. It is only when the sequels really suck to the core (some examples include the third and fourth installments of Terminator), then I would rather them not be made, not be talked about and not even thought about at all. It should be considered a crime to even have a shred of thought about any single aspect of those putrid sequels with a death penalty being the punishment. Again, that's not Pixar's case.

So, when the day when Dreamworks/Disney Animation Studios takes over Pixar arrives, that's when I'll shiver when I hear this many sequels. Till then, I say bring it on. ~ Flare
Advertisement of the moviepocalypse. LLGMs!
Dragon of Omnipotency
Toy Collector

Postby ffdude1906 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:18 am

I totally agree Flare. Pixar's too picky to screw things up too badly. I wasn't a huge fan of Cars, but I'm still gonna see the second one, no doubt. I'd really love to see a sequel to Up. I think it ends in a great spot, but I REALLY really wanna see the new relationships that were established fleshed out, and just more of the characters. I'm starving to see how [spoil]Carl and Russell end up after the movie. There's the credit photos, but I wanna see it acted out, and a new adventure would be great (but I can't imagine what it would be). The relationship that develops between Carl and Russell is beautiful, and I wanna see what Pixar would do with it really badly.[/spoil]

The Incredibles would make a great sequel, and Ratatouille could make a good one as well (but not really a great idea considering the lack of popularity with the first). Monsters Inc. 2 is gonna be great, no doubt. It's a bit unfamiliar for Pixar to do sequels, but I'm sure that our faves are in good hands for their return. I have good faith in Pixar.
Image Up Count: T:50 - D+BD:17
ffdude1906
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Rac_Rules » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Though I would prefer if there weren't any Cars 5s or Monsters Inc 7s, one sequel is fine by me IF they are good stories. However, some movies just aren't meant to have a sequel, like WALL-E, Finding Nemo, and Ratatouille. I just can't see them having a decent plotted sequel.
I'm a Pixarteer!
Rac_Rules
Master Scarer

PreviousNext

Return to Upcoming Features