Most overrated films of all time

I think Memento was really overrated. I was really excited to see it, and then when I watched it was just…blah. It was okay, I just didn’t like it as much as I thought I would.
Other movies I think are overrated:
Duck Soup
Twilight (don’t even get me started :unamused: )
The Godfather
ALL the Star Wars films, even the old ones
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Psycho
Dr. Strangelove
There are a lot more… movies are my specialty, so it’s a long list XD

I was just saying a lot of people on here base their overrated/underrated opinions on people from this site. It came out wrong since I was using my DSi XL web browser which is a pain.

Toy Story… nah, I would never say that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d say that first Alvin and the Chipmunks movie cause when it came out there was someone at school who was quoting Alvin’s “Bow-chicka-wow-wow” from those TV spots over and over (even a couple or so years after it came out) and I was like “It’s not that funny!”. Just one reason why I would prefer the real cartoon now.

Twilight Saga (the MOST of all time)
Harry Potter (it started to be bad and un-entertaining)

I had to watch this for an assignment. It is funny at times (“This is a war room!”), but when the titular protagonist came out, it was a bit anti-climatic (That’s him? And he only gets like ten minutes of screentime?). Not to mention it is very bleak and very depressing towards the end. I loved parts of it, but hated it as a whole.

If you ask me, Dr. Strangelove is Stanley Kubrick’s best film (which just goes to show how subjective this whole topic is), and Peter Sellers is hilarious in the titular role (and the other two he plays). I’m inclined to agree with Evil_Genius_27 about Psycho, though - I love Hitchcock, but he’s done better films, and this one tends to get a lot of attention at their expense.

I risk making a few enemies for saying this, but I’m no fan of The Secret Of NIMH. On the one hand, it probably is Don Bluth’s best film (not that the competition there is anything too stellar), and I suspect that I may have liked it a lot more if I’d seen it without having read the Robert C. O’Brien book in advance - but alas, I’d already read it twice, and I couldn’t enjoy the film wholeheartedly, because I knew that a better version of the story existed out there. Oh sure, film adaptations always make deviations from the source material - that is to be expected, and films should always ideally be judged upon their own merits. But in this case, I really didn’t like the changes - they seemed to have been done in an attempt to make the story more hackneyed and formulaic, complete with pantomime baddie (Jenner, who was no such thing in the book), and a cheesy climactic sword fight. And don’t get me started on that deus ex machina ending…it was a magic amulet? Psych!

So yeah, don’t hate me, please. Like I say, this is an entirely subjective topic.

The Chronicles of Narnia is overrated, but i still think The Dark Knight is the most overrated movie in yeeeaaarrrss.
i also think all these new cliched ones that are all exactly the same are overrated, e.g. Blood Diamond, Law Abiding Citizen, Taken, Body of Lies, State of Play etc are all 100% the most unoriginal movies ever, and people call them unique and great… WTH!!!

Go see the Bum Review of it.

I’ve thought of a few others:
-The Shining (it was MUCH too slow in my opinion, picked up a bit at the end)
-Taxi Driver (been a while since I’ve seen it though, maybe I should watch it again?)
-Apocalypse Now
-Citizen Kane

I’m not saying these are bad movies, not at all. The acting is amazing, and I can see why people love them. I just think they’re a bit overrated.

I agree about Narnia. Those kids drive me crazzzzzzy!!! I’ve never seen Avatar, so no comment. I don’t watch gangster crap, so I haven’t see Law whatever, and I don’t watch horror. Unless you think Ghostbusters or It is horror.

Don’t shoot!

Heh, I know what you mean. Say anything bad about Avatar at my school, and you’re bound to ruffle a few feathers. Personally, I liked the movie, but it wasn’t a masterpiece. The visuals were amazing, but the 3D gave me a headache after two and a half hours, and the story was nothing that hasn’t been done before. I find this movie, more than others, tends to divide people. They either think it’s the best movie ever made, or hate with a passion.

We were watching it in Tech Theater and I said I thought the movie was mostly hype, the story line is very cliche, and beside the fact the visuals were groundbreaking and astounding, there was nothing behind the story. Then like, half of the class started getting all upset at me. :l

Wait, you said the story hasn’t been done before?!
It’s the typical fighting with the Native metaphor against the American military metaphor. Have you seen Dances With Wolves? Ferngully?

What Evil_Genius_27 said was that the story was nothing that hasn’t been done before. So there’s no disagreement there. :wink:

I had a long post that explained my problems with Up, District 9, the Hangover and The NIghtmare Before Christmas. It was a very good post. But due to an unforseen error that upsets me to no end that post cannot be seen. If you want my opinions on why I have problems with these films I shall be happy to write them up for you at a later date in the very near future. But for now, just don’t kill me.

Haha! That’s was a major fail on my part!
I’m running on like four hours of sleep right now. x]

Double negatives have never been not tricky. :wink:

I have defended Avatar against the ‘this story sounds familiar’ criticism, but I’ll say it again. It is hard to set a precedent nowadays. Coming up with something truly original, with one hundred years worth of cinema before you, is not going to be easy. Avatar is the classic ‘Hero’s Journey’ of Scriptwriting 101, and there are many movies which follow the same thread.

As for it being similar to Fern Gully, Pocahontas, Dances with Viperwolves, yes that is true, but it is not a valid weakness. What I admire about Avatar is that it has taken the familiar, and reinvigorated it within a new setting and characters. They have taken the classic ‘White Savior’ myth and changed it to humans and aliens, which is really what great science-fiction is all about. Appropriation. They do this all the time. Alien was an examination of our fear of the ‘Other’. Blade Runner was about our increasing automation, and how robots in turn were becoming more human.

Likewise, Avatar was about colonisation and cultural relativism (Jake adopts the indigenous native’s culture as his own, even though he’s the ‘outsider’). These themes are not exclusive or inimitable, they are universal and should be explored in as many movies as possible. Avatar has done that with its own spin, and I’m proud of that.

If you have read my rambling and have not gone cross-eyed, you win a trip to Sunnyside Daycare! But first you’ll have to take a trip to Emeryville and use their Particle Rearranger to become a toy… :slight_smile:

Oh noes. :open_mouth:

thedriveintheater, you make some good points. I in no way think Avatar was a bad movie. I thouroughly enjoyed it all three times I saw it in theaters, and I know what you mean about there being only a limited number of basic storylines available to filmmakers these days. I’m just tired of my friends telling me how “original” Avatar was. The basic storyline, though handled well and dressed up nicely, has been done before, numerous times. I loved the movie, I just think it was overhyped. My main problem with it: how it’s divided people. It’s just a movie, but you should hear the verbal sparring that goes on at my school. It’s even worse than when The Dark Knight came out…

Google Image Avatar vs. Pocahontas. They aren’t similar, its the exact same storyline. Yeah, you could call hypocrisy because I love Cars (Doc Hollywood WITH CARS) but Cars wasn’t shoved in my face 24/7 and Cars didn’t spend the movie telling me how awful I am and how the US Military is the spawn of Satan.