Most overrated films of all time

that’s the thing that really bothered me with Avatar, when Pocahontas came out people were kinda like “mehh…it’s okay not Disney’s best” but when James Cameron does a story almost identical to it they’re all like “HOLY CRAP. this is the best thing since sliced bread!!!” so yeah. it just kinda bothers me.

I think everyone has a different view on Avatar. I’m just going to walk away.

Im with you Guinevere. goes to bed for the night

Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
Shrek

That’s all I can really think of for now.

I agree with this. But I think the hype was well-deserved because Avatar has achieved what James’ Terminator 2 did before, a truly deep sci-fi epic with technology so breathtaking it is almost life-like . No other fancy pants CGI-ed movie like Transformers, The Spirit, or even Sky Captain and the World Together has created a world this immersive that just draws you in, or characters you actually care about. Of course, this is just my subjective fan-gush here, but try to name one other recent movie which relied primarily on CGI that was this impressive. The closest I can think of is Lord of the Rings, but even then it was mostly filmed in NZ’s natural environment. Maybe The Matrix, but then it was made ten years ago. Its pioneering use of motion-capture and virtual cameras is its biggest achievement, more than the familiar storyline or two-dimensional characters.

Neither did Avatar. It advocated diplomacy over ‘preemptive strikes’. It’s not so much a condemnation of the military (in fact, the armed force on Pandora was a private security firm more along the lines of Blackwater), but of warmongering generals and financially-motivated CEOs. Michelle Rodriguez’ character defecting from the attack was proof that she didn’t approve of the hardlined tactics, not the organization.
And really, I could say Cars spent the whole time telling me how awful I am and how Interstates and the American Media Circus are the spawns of Satan.

But I do have to agree, as much as I love Avatar, I also get tired of it “being shoved in my face 24/7”. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, how did Slumdog win 8 Oscars (or how ever many it was)? The only thing i can think of is the pooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrr quality of these 21st century movies :open_mouth:

Not at all.

For me The Wizard of Oz wins hands down the crown of “most overrated”.
Some of the runners-up are:
Titanic
Akira
Oldboy
The Name of the Rose
The Host
Hero
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Shrek

La Vita è Bella (Life is Beautiful). I was so excited to see that movie, and then I watched it last night and…meh. It was enjoyable, but nowhere near as amazing as I thought it would be. Maybe knowing how it would end is what ruined it for me…?

Spider-Man 2
It was bad.

I think people get ‘overrated’ and ‘bad’ mixed up, i hate it when i say somethings overrated and people think am trashing it, e.g. Messi is overrated but still the best payer in the world…anyhow,

Spider Man 3
American Psycho
The Hangover

Who gets overrated and bad mixed up?

2001: A Space Odyssey
High School Musical (only by tween girls)

OHHOHOHO don’t even get me started on Shrek! They should’ve stopped after the second…and even then, It wasnt that funny! At first I loved Shrek, but now it’s just so overmarketed and made out to be so much more than it is. I mean part 4? Come on! Think up some new storylines why don’t you?

And the humor is just so crude…half the time its not even funny. But that can be said for pretty much every dreamworks movie out there.

I just like Avatar because of teh prettiful graphics. And those creatures. You see, I like studying anatomy of fictitious beings…

Though the film IS overrated.

I also think Twilight is just overrated. All those tween girls screaming ‘OMG! AMAAAZING BOOK! team edwud trolololol’ creep me out.

(not all of them are crazy, though. Just a select few. I mean, they’re even trying to make that book a religion. I’m not kidding.)

Shrek? Eh, Shrek is just meh to me. I don’t really like the characters and the humor… I dislike when movies rely too much on crude humor to appeal.

Oi, I thiiink I strayed a wee bit offtopic here…

I agree, though in my view, I don’t mind. I mean, I dunno… I know it’s overrated, yet I don’t feel that way? Like, some folks may say Wall-E is overrated for the environmentalism or other reasons, but I think it’s much more than that to me.

Or like, how as much as I love Toy Story 3, I feel it’s getting too much of the usual accolades and how it’s a shoo-in for Best Oscar and all that, when there’s other great contenders like HTTYD, Despicable Me and (maybe) Legend of the Guardians? Of course, others may say, no, Toy Story 3 deserves all the praise it’s got because so and so and so, but I feel it’s overrated at the moment (again the caveat being I still love it).

Has anyone experienced this sensation of loving something and yet knowing it’s getting more attention than it deserves, yet you don’t care? It’s basically what Pixarinho* is saying. Am I making any sense? xD

Yes, I know exactly what you’re saying, thedriveintheatre! I found that with Avatar; I really, really enjoyed the experience of seeing the movie in the cinema, and I completely understood why it had got such high acclaim, and yet I think the praise for it was still a bit OTT.

3 words. High School Musical. Nuff said.

Happy Feet!

Enough said.

I Know exactly what you mean TDIT. Avatar made me feel that way. However, in the case of Toy Story 3, I think it deserves all the acclaim it’s getting. Keep in mind however, I don’t watch much TV, or read many movie reviews in the paper, so I’m probably not hearing about its awesomeness as much as you :stuck_out_tongue: The only times I hear people talk about how great movies are is when my friends disucss them.