Movies - both new and old

The third and likely final trailer for Black Mass is out: traileraddict.com/black-mass … al-trailer

This is very interesting: Star Trek Axanar, a crowdfunded Star Trek feature film. They already released a 21-minute documentary-style short based on the four-year war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.
Highly recommended, especially to those who didn’t like the Star Trek reboot. :smiley:

Ben Hur - 10/10 (Epic - to summarize it in one word. The chariot race scene remains breathtaking, thanks to it being devoid of cheesy effects - they just shot the whole thing for real! :mrgreen: The restoration they did for the Blu-ray looks and sounds amazing, too.)

Very much looking forward to viewing Touch of Evil, which I’ve just added to my Blu-ray collection. Came with all three versions: theatrical 96-minute version from '58, preview 109-minute version discovered at Universal in '78; this officially supplanted the first version, and a newly edited definitive reconstructed 111-minute version from '98 using material from both previous versions. You can guess which one I’ll be looking at.

Patricier - Please refrain from double posting.

Made it halfway through Touch of Evil; had no idea Marlene Dietrich was in this. :open_mouth:

Chappie - -3/10 (As with ‘Rocky 4’ a brilliant soundtrack (and some great voice acting of the title character) are wasted on a film that does not deserve them in the least. Even without the way it needlessly mistreats religion, ‘Chappie’ is riddled with plot holes you can drive/fly the “Moose” (a very big robot from the movie) through. No candidate for ‘best screenplay’ by any stretch of the imagination, and no amount of CGI wizardry can save it. I used to be looking forward to Neill Blomkamp’s Alien reboot…but now…not so much. )

The first trailer for The Danish Girl is out: traileraddict.com/the-danish-girl/trailer

Very much looking forward to Crimson Peak. Nice to see del Toro back to his roots… and also when Stephen King and his son rave about the picture after a private screening months before release, you know something’s up.

More Rocky:

Rocky V - (6/10) I know a lot of people hate this one, but it is still quite entertaining and the fight at the end still feels a lot more real that what’s coming up in the next one…

Rocky Balboa - (6/10) This film would have been way better had they shot it the “old fashioned way”.
The fight scenes with all the splashy CGI feel just plain fake. You don’t care about the characters, it feels like watching someone play a bad videogame. Which is ironic, considering an element of the plot is actually a computer-simulated battle between Rocky and the current heavyweight champ.
The rest of the film is actually done quite well, but the overly digital/clinical look of the fight scenes really drags it down.

Very intrigued by Beasts of No Nation. Will most likely have to wait for a possible Blu-ray release due to the four largest US theater chains refusing to screen it (apparently in what seems as nothing more than a pathetic kamikaze stance on the encroachment of VOD).

I finally watched The Exorcist; caught a late night showing on BBC America. Amazing how it still holds up after all these years. Personally, I don’t see what the need was to make ANY sequels/prequels to that other than a simple cash grab.

I gave The Exorcist a look pretty recently, watched it back-to-back with The Omen. Probably doesn’t have the same effect as it back in 1973, but it’s still a horror masterpiece.

Who else is watching loads of horror flicks for Halloween? I myself have been doing a marathon, watching all kinds of horror classics mainly dating back to the 70s and 80s.

Yes, I’m still around. Just not posted in a while, only so much time I can stay away from this community. :laughing:

Geoff-uk1234 - If you’re looking for a good lower-budget horror picture, try Francis Ford Coppola’s Twixt. I myself personally enjoyed it immensely. Also finally managing to etch out time to see Crimson Peak.

Eh, I may have to check that one out. For now I don’t have many post 1990 films on my radar, minus Scream. Older flicks (before my time) tend to be more appealing to me.

I saw Crimson Peak last week with a Horror Book Fan Club I’m in. It wasn’t his best film, but I enjoyed it! Slasher films do scare me, I hate the idea of being stabbed.

Just saw “Spectre”, the new 007 movie. Definitely not as bad as many reviews make it out to be, though I have to say, it will be really hard to come up with a satisfying beginning to a sequel that does not diminish the ending of this one.
Good luck to whoever’s in charge of the screenplay…and please don’t take the easy and predictable route!

Sequel problems aside, the movie’s weak point is really the theme song. Both lyrics and especially the vocals just don’t cut it. Sam Smith is no Adele, and I wish he wasn’t trying to compete with Bianca Castafiore from Tintin in high-pitchedness. :wink:
Whoever decided to put only the instrumental version on the soundtrack CD is a genius. :mrgreen:

Oh, and Q gets a lot more well-deserved screentime in this one. Both he and the new M really shine.

Managed to see Spectre (2015) last Tuesday. Very much a solid Bond picture; Christoph Waltz was brilliant, as he always is, but the revelation that the character was in fact Ernst Stavro Blofeld was expected; another Cumberbatch Star Trek situation.

I’m very excited for the upcoming new Star Wars 7 at the moment…and recently about a month ago we just passed a special day for Back to the Future fans everywhere. Speaking of which, I now have the 30th anniversary edition trilogy in my collection of movies. (*Only I couldn’t post that in the DVD Collection thread because mine’s a combo pack of Blu-Ray and Digital and apparently it did not come with any DVDs.)

evspixarfan2012 - You can post your Blu-ray collection in that thread. Nobody cares. That’s where I post my Blu-ray collection.

Just added The Apu Trilogy to my collection. Really looking forward to viewing it.

evs I got one for Christmas too! I got the steelbook from Target, as well as a prop hoverboard and Marty Jr’s hat. I also went to see a marathon of all three on Oct. 21st and bought the USA Today on Oct. 22 that had Marty McFly Jr. on it. My cousin got me a signed poster for Christmas with all the cast’s signatures but Michael’s I don’t think is legit : (