Presto

I agree, lizardgirl!
THe audience I was with was laughing histerically too! A lot of the other PIxar shorts have seemed to take too long, but this one was way too short! I have to say, best Pixar short ever!!

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Just like a classic short, only with Pixar quality animation and even better jokes than we remember from the “Bugs” cartoons. Everyone laughed at this short every time I saw the movie.

I ruined my surprise… But it was still awesome! I was youtubing the Presto preview (again…) and I found that somebody had put up the full short(probably taken down though because of copyright now) but yes it was LEGENDARY! Can’t wait to watch it on the big screen! :smiley:

hoho~~I love Presto !! Very funny! XDXDXD
Some people say that the magician just looks like Walt Disney~
the rabbit is cute,looks cute~
the music at the beginning sounds great!

There’s something about that bit in Presto when [spoil]the magician comes into the room, smacking his lips and wiping his mouth. It’s just all so exagerrated, but it fits so well with the theme of the short. The same could be said of the little twinkle in his eye when he opens up the special magic box containing his hats- so cheesy, yet so good![/spoil] :laughing:

I love how it’s so funny from the beginning [spoil]with the noises of desperation and you’re like ‘what issss thatt?!?!!’ and then the camera pans right and you just see the bunny trying to get to the carrot.[/spoil] haha love it

I loved it, It looked amazing on the Screen. One of my favorite parts was when the rabbit dropped the ladder through the hat and went out the other side.

Some more Pixar in-jokes in Presto:
One of the pictures in Presto’s office is of the Lucky 7 Lounge at Pixar!
Many of the props in his office are right off of Ratatouille.

This is going to sound strange, but I had this thought on the bus home from work today: has anyone taken the story of ‘Presto,’ and made a small story from Alec’s pov?

Example:

[spoil]
Alec watched as the ladder kept extending out of the hat, Presto’s face contorting with each hit of a new rung. Finally, the ladder stopped extending, and Presto hit the floor. With amazing dexterity, the magician jumped to his feet, breaking the ladder. With a flick of his wrists, he grabbed a broken piece of the ladder, and his top hat. As Alec watched, Presto put the piece piece of wood between his teeth, and magically produced the carrot from thin air. The sight of it made Alec’s eyes light up.

But then, Presto placed the carrot on the raised table, and covered it with a handkerchief. What is he doing now, wondered the little rabbit. He didn’t have to wait long to find out, as Presto grabbed the piece of wood from between his teeth and started to violently smash the carrot under the handkerchief. Offstage, the little rabbit screamed in horror as his dinner was smashed into pulp.[/spoil]

Here’s some more information on the “Presto” Screening and Seminar this coming Friday at the Asian premiere event in Hiroshima.

I am so hoping I can get an English transcript from this event. Just makes my translating job much, much, easier. I could take days translating the screening and seminar back to English from Japanese.

hiroanim.org/en/e02program/2-03-08_en.html

Here is some news about “Presto” from the 12th International Animation Festival Hiroshima 2008. I don’t know if any of the news is old or new news. There’s nothing written from the “Presto” seminar. I’ll be searching, still, for any notes from the seminar from Doug Sweetland ダグ スイートランド.

Check out the last page. The pdf file size is 8.67MB.
hiroanim.org/pdf/lappy12_2.pdf

Oh, by the way, the theatrical release of Presto and WALL-E will be December 20th in Japan. Japan will be the last country on planet earth to see the latest movie from Pixar. Ah Man! :cry:

For those of you interested in the behind the scenes stuff from Presto, check out this interview with Doug Sweetland from Spline Doctors: splinedoctors.com/2008/08/doug-sweetland-part-2/
It’s part two, so to catch up if you need to, listen to part one here: splinedoctors.com/2008/07/doug-s … st-part-1/
It’s pretty interesting like most Spline Doctor interviews. :slight_smile:
Edit: Some fun facts from the interview follow,

• Presto is the Talon LaBarthe (the lawyer) model from Ratatouille with a new head.
  • The original story was that Presto’s rabbit ran away so Presto’s act is ruined. Then a fan boy rabbit comes knocking on the door, and Presto casts him as Alec, and chaos ensues!
  • The short was originally going to be 3 minutes long, and all through production they struggled with timing, it sort of shos in the final product, my only complaint on this magnificent short.
  • They tried to use a rat model for Alec, but it didn’t work.
  • Motion blur was tweaked to make it look like dry brush strokes but done carefully to make sure outlines are still seen.
  • The models were so stylized and the characters were so snappy, that keeping clothes on them was a struggle (this was a test for Up).

This was, IMHO. by far the BEST short that has come out of Pixar Yet! Great Job guys!

Presto was wonderful ! Not a surprise :stuck_out_tongue:
I loved how the music coordinated with the the actions and stuff.

Pixar great job, like always !! :wink:

It was brilliant, I just saw it last night with my mum and we were laughing our heads off. I can’t wait for the Wall-E DVD to come out so I can watch it again.

:sunglasses:

Can’t believe I haven’t posted in here, yet…

This would have to be either my favourite, or second favourite short, after Lifted. The introduction totally threw me off guard, but it was a nice change from what we are used to. I don’t know who my favourite character was - the magician or the bunny. My favourite moments were when [spoil]the bunny clicked his teeth, the magician started doing an unintentional jig, and just how every time he tried to pull the bunny out of the hat, things just got worse and worse.[/spoil] I’m glad there was a happy ending, and [spoil]the magician learnt to take better care of his bunny.[/spoil]

Props to E.J. Holowicki, too. One of the little moments that make me love Pixar’s attention to detail, and in the area of sound design in this case, was when [spoil]the electricity powers up an down when Presto is being electrocuted[/spoil] and [spoil]the piano falls down and just the sound it makes as it’s falling.[/spoil] I think this is very much like Looney Tunes, in the exaggerated movements and overall animation style, but the thing that makes it the most like LT is the music. It coulda been taken directly from an episode of Roadrunner!

Totally agree with that Rachel and i’ve never posted here too ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone know what’s happening with the supposed Presto Little Golden Book?

One of my favourite Pixar shorts. Alec is so cute! ><
Very funny, and has a very good ending. I love how Pixar put ‘Soul’ into the short to make the perfect ending.

It’s already out, Rachel. Presto Little Golden Book. I assume this is the one you mean. It’s very cheap, and very tempting!