Surf's Up

(Kinda off topic, sorry)

Kinda makes me sad to say it, but I disagree a little bit with Bird on the

subject of realism. Happy feet caught my attention because everything looked so real. It was something new and

challenging for animators to even attempt. I wonder if I feel more attracted to realism because of my age and

interest in all forms of the industry, but then I can’t completely base my opinion on age because of what Brad

said (and he’s much older than me).

And of course I mean no disrespect Brad or the type of work he

does. (How could I?!) I hold him in the highest esteem. But I also have tremendous respect for the folks who

create the photorealistic (square enix, animal logic, ect.). When the FF movies came out I was all atwitter over

how realistic the characters were. It made me excited to see where the technologies would go next. In the same

respect, I get as close to the tv as possible when playing the games so I can catch every detail during the movie

sequences.

Also realism can do what more for live-action than any previous animation forms. (Although

watching the stop motion animation in Clash of the Titans and Star Wars still feels me with nerdly glee.)

Realisms with cgi saves wear and tear on cast and sets alike. Think of the realist digital stand-ins for LotR.

And having realistic characters in movies like the Chronicles of Narnia series and the upcoming Golden Compass

screen adaptation makes them more feasible than they could have ever been 20 years ago.
I think what I saying

is both the cartoony and realistic are important in this type of media, and that they play off each other. What

we learn in one area can be applied to the other.

I have no beef with Surf’s Up, because it’s marketed

to a younger generation of CG watchers. I just that realism in cgi animation shouldn’t be down

played.

(My apologies if this sounds like a rant. I just feel strongly on the subject.)

Haunt - Despite what Pixar Vixen said I think Brad would actually agree with you on

your rationale. I say this because he reffered to photorealistic humans as being what doesn’t work in an

animated film. His reasoning though was because that being humans we know every

little quirk, movement, gesture, detail, etc about how we look, move, and react. Thus the slightest little

inconsistencies are caught and thus the reason photorealistic humans (similar to the ones in Shrek) tend to come

off as even more fake. By making them exagerated, they fit into their exagerated animated world in a way that’s

easy to believe. On the flip side though, I’m pretty sure most of us don’t spend all our times with penguins

and thus the photorealism of Happy Feet seems almost flawless to us (save when the feet are dancing out of

rhythm). I think you can see that even more so in Happy Feet when we start to meet humans at the end of the film

and enter the dreaded world of mocap. Now that a seemingly photorealistic world has been established it must be

carried through with the humans and while they are quite good, they’re still not totally realistic. To our

heightened perception of them and their world they come off as fake compared to the rest of the

film.

Another example I like to use here is CGI weather. Alot of people are impressed by animated storms

and such as seen on the big screen and they are quite magnificent. But as a meteorologist I am intimately

familiar with them, their behavior, and all the minute details and thus the situations become increasingly fake

to me. (Note - I have long been impressed by Pixar weather. Their clouds and rain and such are still the most

realistic in my mind.

Now - as for FF you’re dealing with whole horse of another color there. In there

you’ve already created a real world through live action woth real people and now you must work for continuity.

You can’t just slap in a totally styalized CGI character other wise you end up with the Scooby Doo or Garfield

movie. Instead, by using real models for your base your CGI characters fit because the slight indescrepancies

actually enhance their (pardon the pun) fantastic nature. By the time the director switches to CGI from live

action you’ve already “suspended disbelief” for the character anyway. Something that wouldn’t work

if the characters were CGI the entire film and occasionally expected to act like perfectly normal human beings.

Thus by switching between live and CG characters it actually enhances the continuity and effect of both

mediums.

Make sense? That’s what I got out of it anyway but even then I think we’re all picking Brad’s

original statement apart a little too much anyway.

o_0 What have I begun? Heheh. I had a feeling Mr. Bird’s quote was debate

fuel.

I still prefer “distilled” to photographically real in an animated world, but rant away.

That’s what we’re here for. :wink:

~~=oP

I know PV, but for once, the almost realistic penguims in Happy Feet got me a lot

more. I saw some of the baby penguins in Surfs up, and I have to say that they are just as cute. Sorry if I have

started anything.

Wow, I never replied to this …

I might see this

movie if I get a chance to sneak in. But it doesn’t look like something I’d like. I dunno- the commercials act

a little too serious, as if it’s an everyday thing for a penguin to surf. And I’ve seen the commercials one too

many times over.

I’m thinking of giving it a chance though. :wink:

Yeah, most likey.

I probably see the film Friday morning.

How many

of you guys are going to see this film?

I’m afraid it fails to interest me.

Not doin’ for me either.

I’ll be on “dawn patrol” Friday. Haha. That’s surf lingo meaning getting

up extra early to catch the best wave conditions before weather or tide changes make them less optimal, but for

this occasion, it means getting up early for the matinée showing before ticket prices go up.

;-p

~~=oP

I might see it. Don’t really have anything better to do this weekend. And it doesn’t look that bad actually,

despite the whole “Hollywood overusing Penguins” thing as of late. To take the words from YouTube’s

Angry Nintendo Nerd, why doesn’t anyone make a movie with pygmy marmosets?

Well, I’m going to see this film in about 2 hours. :smiley:

And I’m going to see the film in about…seven hours. I hope it’s good!

:smiley:

JV - Have fun! :wink:

Well I just got back from seeing the film, and I must say

that the voice acting was incredible! and I loved that animation! Also the water looked so so real! I’ll give it

a 3 stars out of the possible 5. :smiley:

Just got back from it myself. I must say, well done, Sony!
Unique storyline, fantastic character design, and

the water and lighting effects were phenomenal. Easily one of the best cgi of the year.

And Chicken Joe

is officially my hero. “How’s it hangin’ bro.”

I’ll have to

go back and see it again. Once for entertainment, twice for homework

:wink:

Edit: And huzzah for 90’s music. Glorious 90’s.

Heheh –

awesome! Sounds like a great film. I can’t wait to see the dang thing tonight! :stuck_out_tongue:

JV and Haunt - Thanks for the report, dudes.

:wink:

I’ll have to put it on the calender! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the review JV. I

might go and watch it.

I might

not be able to see it this weekend what with preparing for final exams and all…

In any case, it looks

great! :smiley:

I planned on seeing Surf’s Up today,

but my house was on the extreme verge of getting hit by a tornado. :shake: Yeah, missing out on the movie was

totally bogus, but we’re all safe at home. :slight_smile:

~~=oP

PV - Gee whiz – what are the odds?! I’m just glad that you guys are safe and

sound, though. :confused: