Too much bias against Dreamworks

Well, I hope Dreamworks can make films like HTTYD in the future which has good story telling and didn’t rely on pop-culture jokes.

Yes, that would be best.

I don’t mind the pop culture jokes. They can keep them, as long as their main priority is to give a good story.

Well, they can keep the jokes if they want to but just don’t over do them like in Shrek 2. I don’t mind hearing them a couple times but when they keep doing it alot in their films is when it starts to irritate me.

I used to prefer Pixar over Dreamworks simply because they thought about the heart and not about the money. But after Dreamworks made How To Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda 2, I kind of switched over.

Hate me all you want, I don’t care. Movies should be judged on how well they’re made, not on the people who made them. And I can never, ever hate an animated movie simply because what with me being an aspiring animator, I know how hard it is to make. Realize that, people.

I came on this forum to appreciate the joy that animated movies brought us, not to hate on them!

Well, I don’t hate Dreamworks’ movies because they made them but because most of their films don’t tell good stories. I admit I do like some of their films like Shrek and Kung Fu Panda. Obviously I like Pixar better then Dreamworks but this might be the second year I take Dreamworks over Pixar.

I used to hate Dreamworks, because most of their movie I had seen were horrible. But lately I’ve been hearing a lot of their newer films getting good reviews. And then I saw Kung Fu Panda, which was a huge improvement, so I’m willing to give them a chance with their newer movies.

I really used to despise them. Period. But now some of their movies are so good, I can’t help but love them. I still prefer Pixar, but I’ll be keeping my eye out.

I alway’s liked them, not as much as Pixar but I never saw what was to hate. If they did their films more like Pixar’s, people would call them rip offs,so I think Dreamwork’s doing their style is the right idea.

Even if I love Pixar so much, I am more than willing to give any studio a chance, and Dreamworks has been rising up to the occasion, in my opinion, starting with Kung Fu Panda. (Then of course things took a downward slope with Monsters Vs. Aliens, but How to Train Your Dragon more than put them back on course) :smiley:

The only thing that bugs me with Dreamworks is them doing pop-culture references. I don’t mind them but it’s when they over do them like in Shrek 2 is what irritates me. Anyway, Dreamworks future looks promising with all these original films. I’m probably looking forward to Me and My Shadow the most since it’s a CGI and hand drawn combo.

I have that same issue with the excessiveness of their pop culture references; honestly, I usually enjoy some good pop culture jokes when they’re relevant and used in moderation, but Shrek 2 and some others just took it wayyy over the top, to the point where some jokes don’t even make sense only a few years later. :confused:

Yeah, even some of those jokes are a bit outdated now and possibly been done plenty of times.

Completely! Kung Fu Panda was the first trace of them changing.

The unfortunate thing with me and DreamWorks is that right when Kung Fu Panda came out, the sign of DreamWorks’ first main change, I was no longer going to the theater to watch their movies. I had no idea they were suddenly going to be regularly producing some pretty good films. Then I started realizing, “Wow, maybe I’ve begun to start missing out”. I think my parents also had the impression that I despised them, though that wasn’t entirely true, mostly just their early Pixar knock-off efforts. So now, I would really like to watch most of these films. I really can’t wait to view this gem that is How to Train Your Dragon, in fact the trailer for that one made me think, “Huh, this one actually looks good” and apparently it rocks! I’ve already made the reservations to pick many of these films up, I look forward to a summer of some good films I’ve been missing out on for the past few years. But Pixar will always be my #1 with Disney right behind it, and then DreamWorks, but possibly after Blue Sky.

I Think Dreamworks did a great job with KungFu Panda and HTTYD (1 and 2). I’m not bias against them. not any more since Pixar has yet to make a film that has blown me away since TS3. But I’m open minded. i enjoy watching their movies.

I have nothing against Dream Works, but I have noticed that I do not enjoy their releases as much as I enjoy Pixar’s. To be honest thought, I haven’t seen many of DW’s latest releases… I hear HTTYD2 is great.
But since Spirit is the only animated movie I absolutely love, love, looove from them, obviously Pixar has my vote.

Pixar will always have a continued place in my heart. I love Pixar. And I will alway wwill pick Pixar over dreamworks. but even still, I can’t ignore the good movies that dreamworks has made since.

To tell you all the truth, I actually despise of DreamWorks. I do still watch their films, of course, but they’re just not really as good and enjoyable as Pixar’s. Needless to say, Pixar has always been my preferred studio above all others. And I root for Lasseter, not Katzenberg. See, a few of the books in my collection have repeatedly mentioned the rivalry between them during the Antz vs. Bug’s Life thing–with one mentioning that Katzenberg suffered a tragic loss which led to his bad attitude that got him fired from Disney (which is why he later tried to get revenge against the whole studio), another saying that Lasseter yelled at Katzenberg over the phone before hanging up on him because he found out his whole idea for the story concept in his film had been stolen. And when I found out about that, I began watching the DreamWorks’ films less and less. In fact, I never even actually liked any of their films at all! Hence another one of the main reasons for why I have already planned to start slowly eliminating my movie collection until it is nothing but Pixar titles in various formats…

evspixarfan2012

Whoa, it’s been six years and people are still hating on Dreamworks, guess some things just don’t change.

Dreamworks, as a studio, is obviously a lot different from Pixar. Whereas at first they seemed out to actively compete with other studios (especially Pixar), they’ve grown to more “mature” projects such as Kung Fu Panda and Dragons. However, the kid-accessible things are still high on their list in favour of more unique ideas.
Such as Me and My Shadow getting canned and movies like Turbo, and Peabody and Mr. Sherman getting the greenlight. Now, I haven’t seen these, but a movie about a racing snail or a scientist kid and dog duo is obviously more kid-accessible than something about a twenty-something whose shadow is alive. Shrek, with its toilet humor and edgy humor, has a huge amount of merchandise and a batch of sequels. Since in the end, it’s all about money, they figure the more comedy-laden parts are more profitable than the more serious things. And well, since kids are the primary focus for animation because even though there’s a ton of adults watching them (me being one of them), it still primarily is regarded as kids’ stuff. Which is sad.

Either way, I’m starting to think Dragons and Panda were a bit of an exception, and their primary focus is still humor, action, and a little bit of feel. Because that’s what sells well. It squarely aims at families, whereas Pixar aims more for adults, but doesn’t exclude children. Studios like Blue Sky, Sony and Illumination pretty much copy Dreamworks in trying to juggle all focus groups at once, making their movies just not that memorable. (Real talk; the reason we get so many Ice Age sequels is because Europe goes nuts for them. No, really! International markets are a huge thing for animation studios as well.)

Dreamworks is chill, I think. They’re just less risky than Pixar. Pixar takes more risks, results in stuff like Inside Out and Finding Dory. They can afford to do so because if it says Disney people will love it, and because their passion for their work shines through which leads to a wonderful end result anyway. If other studios try this, you get the chance that it might flop, such as Laika studios and their work, which soar with critics but bomb at the box office. (please see Kubo and the Two Strings; it’s the most gorgeous, lovely movie I’ve seen in forever). I love Laika but I fear for their future.

I dunno it’s late and I’m tired. There’s always been an odd anti-Dreamworks bias from Pixar fans and it’s a wee bit gross, that’s all I mean.

It’s like comparing apples and oranges. Both studios have insanely talented people working on them, and in the end, it’s the people that matter more than the studio. I believe directors have more of an influence than the studio does on any time. Just look at Ghibli’s The Red Turtle. It’s absolutely not Miyazaki, but it’s something unique all to its own that cannot be described. The guy who directed it, Micheal Dudok de Wit (a Dutch man!) has his own style which is evident through the entire thing.

Holy heck, I need to start a blog or something.

Footnote; Dreamworks and Pixar are both good, but have different needs and aim at different people. Pixar takes risks, Dreamworks generally plays it safe. It’s more about the director than the studio.