Your Friend the Rat fan commentary - 9.12.2008

ATTENTION TO ALL INTERNATIONAL COMMENTATORS:
(outside of the US, or even if you aren’t you may want to read this)

I’ve made a post in the other thread regarding the PAL and NTSC problem that we are going to have. Basically, for this practise session, if you have a PAL version of the Ratatouille DVD, Your Friend the Rat will play 4% faster than the US/Canadian version of the DVD, causing our session to go out of synch. You will need to obtain Your Friend the Rat from the US DVD. If you don’t know how to do this, private message me. We may have do to a check early next week detailing the exact minutes and seconds that YFTR runs for so we will be in synch.

No. :laughing: I meant all future commentaries should get better and better, so they aren’t disappointing. Get it?

Heheh… I think this one is gonna be really good because it’s the first right ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha-ha. Thanks. :laughing:

qxgnxamy - I was thinking of purchasing this headset, but I want to be sure that the quality and performance of the product is genuine. Have you ever purchased anything from the Skype store before, and, if so, what comments would you give on their service and merchandise?

Heheh. Yeah, I’ll be sure to do that. (snigger)

I see. Good idea. I’m not too crazy about the idea of pausing the film at regular intervals, but it sounds as if it will be necessary to do so in this case.

Nah, don’t worry about it. I haven’t even looked at Ratatouille yet so as to jot down notes on the subject, even though I meant to do just that a couple of days ago. Heck, I haven’t bought a headset yet, dang it. There’s only ten days left until the session. I’ve gotta jump on the bandwagon here! :stuck_out_tongue:

– Mitch

Mitch - I’ve never bought anything from the Skype store or Plantronics before, but I think that Plantronics has a good reputation. I read that the Skype store charges a 15% restocking fee if you want to return merchandise, so keep that in mind. On the Plantronics website there’s a compatibility checker and it says that that headset isn’t compatible with Windows XP, Vista or Mac OS 10.5 (hopefully that’s incorrect; it’s just an analog headset so it should be compatible). Otherwise that looks like a good headset. I think I might buy one myself. If you want I could test it out to make sure it’s ok first before you buy one.

qxgnxamy - Oh no, I wouldn’t want you to waste your money on my account. Restocking fee aside, I think that I just might purchase this headset. It should work fine on either of the two computers that my family owns, so hopefully (any) complications will be nonexistent.

Thank you very much for the information, once again! :smiley:

– Mitch

Rachel- The PAL DVD thing applies to me- I just checked my Ratatouille DVD, and it says ‘PAL’ at the bottom. I’ll PM you now, and thanks for the heads up. I completely forgot about the timing differences between PAL and NTSC!

lizardgirl, Archibald, Pixar.rocks - I got your PMs, just give me a day or so to sort something out… =)

A reminder: A113, Archibald, lizardgirl, M-O and Pixar.rocks, I still need you to PM me your Skype names.

On my Canadian version of the DVD, YFTR’s running time is 11m 18s. Could someone in the US please check exactly how long their version is? I assume it would be exactly the same, but I want to know for sure.

Sure, no problem qxgnxamy! I’ll do that right away- thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the reminder, Peter! By the way, i tried our my microphone; it’s extremely loud, even at the lowest setting. Thanks for your advice. 8D I"ll try ti keep my voice down rofl

rachel - On the US DVD, YFTR’s running time is 11m 19s. Close enough, yes?

qxgnxamy - I didn’t know whether 1 second’s difference would matter… I guess it wouldn’t. If we really wanted to be in synch we could say to each other that everyone should pause YFTR on the very first frame (the blue Disney logo) and we can all press play at the same time.

How long is the US version of Ratatouille, then?

rachel - It’s 1h 51m 2s. Pausing on the DIsney logo sounds fine. The logo fades in, however it is possible to find the first frame of the logo after the black before it. We’ll need to use frame by frame to find that frame.

That’s a great idea, Rachel. For the first frame, i suggest right before the Disney logo starts to fade in.

I was waiting to be sure if i was in, but i did forget ! :stuck_out_tongue:
So thanks.

All right. I’m starting to kind of freak out here…

I was going to purchase this headset, but really don’t want to pay around $30.00. I will if I have to, but right now… money is tight on my part.

I thought of purchasing this headset instead, since it’s a little cheaper, but $18.00 sounds like a lot for that as well, and I’d want to get what I payed for.

Secondly, being the idiot that I am, I’ve waited until the last minute to order this thing. Standard shipping at Skype ranges from 5-7 business days, and the commentary is going to take place next Thursday, right? What if it doesn’t make it in time? I don’t want to set you guys back another week, but I don’t want to break my wallet either.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I’m going to purchase a headset today, of course, but I though that I’d get some feedback first. Sorry about this. :blush:

– Mitch

Mitch - We’ll be doing the YFTR commentary on Friday (I think), so that gives you an extra day.

The Plantronics .Audio 325 PC Headset is available at Circuit City for $24.99. Is there a Circuit City in your area? I found out that that headset won’t work with a Macintosh, but it should work with a PC (as long as you have a microphone port). CompUSA may have one for $19.99, but you should call the store nearest you to find out if it’s in stock.

As for the Plantronics .Audio 50 Headset, I’m guessing that that’s an older headset since it’s harder to find. I also noticed that it has a soft-looking microphone, which may make you sound muffled.

Edit - It looks like CompUSA doesn’t have any stores in California. Oops. :open_mouth:

Will this be available for all users to hear. Or is it a produced product for the creators.