Pixar Planet

Toy Story Replicas (No trading-related posts please)

Talk about Pixar's three Toy Story movies here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: Toy Story Replicas (No trading-related posts please)

Postby CanadianTVBroadcasts » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Andy Davis wrote:Image

Dude, your collection is fantastic for someone just starting out! It looks great! Can't wait to see more updates!
CanadianTVBroadcasts
Ant

Postby CanadianTVBroadcasts » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:31 pm

So sorry for double post, but for anyone who want a figure of Rocky there are people on facebook selling full sized 3D printed figures of him: https://www.facebook.com/ToyStoryCustomCreations/
CanadianTVBroadcasts
Ant

Postby Andy Davis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:24 pm

CanadianTVBroadcasts wrote:So sorry for double post, but for anyone who want a figure of Rocky there are people on facebook selling full sized 3D printed figures of him: https://www.facebook.com/ToyStoryCustomCreations/

Indeed; I've looked into it. So far none of the Rocky's can move like in the film, and the plastic is shinier than the one in the movies. The latter can be easily fixed with a little paint though, and fortunately he told me that he has plans in the works for a Rocky that does move, as well as a Robot with the lights and voice. Hope it's programmed to only ever say "Mr. Lightyear wants more tape!" XD (Seeing as that was like, the only line ever spoken by Robot in the movies lol. XD)

There's another guy, maybe the same guy, that's working on a fully functioning Mr. Spell. The dimensions were wrong though; wasn't an exact replica. I sent him the proper dimensions though and may make some other suggestions; see what he can come up with. =)

PS: Thanks for the compliment! I started collecting around a month ago or so; maybe a month and a half or two months. I might be able to find the exact date if I look over my past purchases lol. Pretty much all the money I make goes towards the collection lol. XD Currently working on just the first toy story movie, but I'll probably pick up Wheezy and Prospector if I ever come across them and can afford them; they seem to be really rare and stupidly expensive. O.O
Andy Davis
Ant

Postby Andy Davis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:44 pm

Sorry for the double post.

Not totally happy with my collection so far. The issues with Slinky already being discussed.

I still want to get the TSC Mr. Potato Head for how screen accurate he is, but was very sad to see that he was a talking toy without any Tater-Tush for his spare parts lol, i.e. not really a classic Mr. Potato Head. =( So I got the playskool version that looks somewhat similar to the movie, but is clearly a toddler toy lol.

I have the signature collection woodyand buzz, but I still want to find an original TSC Woody because his pants are a lighter shade of blue than the Signature one, which is almost a dark navy blue, which is totally inaccurate. Buzz seems kinda scuffed up too despite being fresh out of the box, so I'm hoping the original TSC buzz is a higher quality.

The Disney on Ice Lenny needs some work too; want to see if I can cut away the center of his base/feet so that it looks like he has normal feet, if that makes sense, instead of standing on a base. It'd be great if he could wind up and walk, but I can live without that feature; other than that Lenny's perfect and kinda-sorta works like real binoculars.

Not totally happy with the Etch a Sketch; it doesn't have the "Making Creativity Fun" text on the bottom, and I think it may be slightly damaged despite being labeled as new. I bought two others, and they both looked kinda damaged too; like there were permanently Sketched parts of the Etch screen, if you know what I mean. I've spent over 120 bucks on etch a sketches trying to find a perfect one; putting that quest on hold for a while lmao.

ALMOST completely happy with the Farmer Says See N Say; I just need to find the one with the blue background because this one with the yellow background doesn't have the trademark/copyright texts on top of the yellow arrow like it is in the movie. The blue background version does though, so my plan is to get a couple of those to experiment on and see if I can transfer the arrow pointers onto different See N Says, and if I can, then I can move the screen accurate farmer says Arrow pointer onto the correct See N Say body.

ALMOST completely happy with the rock a stack, screen accurate in every way except for the fisher price logos on the sides; a bit of white paint can fix that easily though.

ALMOST completely happy with the Falling With Style Hot Wheels Track Set; comes with the same red baron car as in the movie, plus a little plastic stand for a rubber-like buzz lightyear figurine to replicate the scene in the movie. My only complaints are that the clamp isn't blue like in the movie, nor is the launch ramp shaped like in the movie. I found another set that looks closer to what I'm looking for; might combine the two and add a little paint, THEN it'll be perfect lol.

Not totally happy with the Bucket of Soldiers; I got the Disney Parks one though instead of the TSC because the Disney Parks had a more accurate bucket; no Toy Story logos on it if I recall correctly. I LOVE that it comes with the wounded soldier that Andy's mom stepped on though, and it comes with some sarge figures and three paratroopers. The quality of the plastic is bad though; a lot of their weapons are bent out of shape and whatnot. Little disappointed, so I'll be getting the TSC bucket of soldiers and transferring them into the more accurate bucket, my current soldiers going into the TSC bucket lol.

Completely happy with Hamm the piggy bank; just needs a little pink paint to cover up the text on him.

Completely happy with the Troll doll.

Completely happy with the Baby monitor.

Completely happy with the Barrel of Monkeys (seen behind Slinky in my picture)

Completely happy with Rex. I bought the 90s Thinkway version though, because again, Rex isn't supposed to be a battery operated talking toy anymore than Mr. Potato Head is lol. This one is slightly soft/squishy though, so I might invest in the TSC Rex anyway for the more accurate 'hard plastic" look. Plus the speaker is disguised quite well under his belly, out of view, so it's easy to pretend that he isn't a talking toy, especially with the batteries out lol. XD

EDIT: Looked over my purchase history; I officially started my collection on June 8th, 2018. :)
Andy Davis
Ant

Postby CanadianTVBroadcasts » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 pm

Andy Davis wrote:Completely happy with Rex. I bought the 90s Thinkway version though, because again, Rex isn't supposed to be a battery operated talking toy anymore than Mr. Potato Head is lol. This one is slightly soft/squishy though, so I might invest in the TSC Rex anyway for the more accurate 'hard plastic" look. Plus the speaker is disguised quite well under his belly, out of view, so it's easy to pretend that he isn't a talking toy, especially with the batteries out lol. XD

I'd reccomend the Disney Store Rex, it looks the best, its the right size, the jaw moves correctly, and it has a nice shiny look to it unlike the matte tsc one.
CanadianTVBroadcasts
Ant

Postby Andy Davis » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 pm

CanadianTVBroadcasts wrote:
Andy Davis wrote:Completely happy with Rex. I bought the 90s Thinkway version though, because again, Rex isn't supposed to be a battery operated talking toy anymore than Mr. Potato Head is lol. This one is slightly soft/squishy though, so I might invest in the TSC Rex anyway for the more accurate 'hard plastic" look. Plus the speaker is disguised quite well under his belly, out of view, so it's easy to pretend that he isn't a talking toy, especially with the batteries out lol. XD

I'd reccomend the Disney Store Rex, it looks the best, its the right size, the jaw moves correctly, and it has a nice shiny look to it unlike the matte tsc one.

Which Disney Store Rex would that be? I only found ones that were electronic talking toys, some which even had buttons on top of Rex to make him talk lol, which bugs me because Rex doesn't need batteries and can't talk when in toy-mode.

I bought this one because it was the only accurately sized Rex that I could find that wasn't a talking toy; didn't realize the material he was made out of was flexible/matte material though: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5319882

All in all, I'm pretty happy with him, but there's some definite room for improvement. It looks like the TSC Rex is a little more shiny than the non-talking Thinkway Rex, but still hard to tell if it's glossy enough; and I wouldn't want it to be TOO shiny lol; pretty sure he's not supposed to be flatout sparkly. XD

PS: Do you think this Teddy Bear I have would make an accurate sized Teddy; part of the Dollie/Teddy/Duckie trio on Andy's desk? I was looking at the two images below seeing what I'd have to do; obviously paint him (or dye him) a light pinkish color, color his leg pads white, add some stump/pads to his arms, paint his snout white; get rid of the smile, move his eyes a little closer together, add a unibrow, and possibly make a new set of ears for him that are slightly smaller than the ones he has. Maybe see if I can't make him a little fatter in the belly too ....Think it would look good? Or would I have better luck at Build a Bear Workshop? XD

EDIT: My teddy is probably a little too big...wished I had a luxo lamp for a size reference.
Attachments
Teddy.jpg
My Teddy
Teddy.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
Last edited by Andy Davis on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy Davis
Ant

Postby Andy Davis » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Sorry, forgot to upload the reference image lol:
Attachments
DollieTeddyDuckie.gif
DollieTeddyDuckie.gif (96.28 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Andy Davis
Ant

Postby Jenpirie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:28 pm

gabgarde2 wrote:Hello all,

I know people haven't really been active here in the past few years, but I'll give this a shot. I've been following this thread since it first started, but I've only now made an account. My collection had been collecting dust on my shelf since 2010, but I've recently regained interest in collecting Toy Story items. It always sort of bothered me that the Young Epoch Stinky Pete was so unaffordable and rare, and that it had that odd marionette face. A few weeks ago, I took it upon myself to attempt to make my own Stinky Pete (almost) replica. Here he is! I made a crude pullstring mechanism from a spool, a rubber band acting as a spring, and thick gauge wire. Currently working on a pickaxe. I plan on smoothening the hat with putty; I foolishly rushed it into the oven knowing the clay wasn't soft enough to smoothen, because I was way too excited.

I haven't had any luck finding a movie-accurate box pattern for a 16-inch-tall box. I know that quite a few people have made their own... I'd be willing to purchase a design if anyone has one.

Ok that is the most amazing stinky pete doll I've seen!
Jenpirie

Postby Andy Davis » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Updated pic of my toy story collection; the new items are the Luxo Ball and the Mr. Shark (not sure if he's in scale or not; I just picked a sqeaky shark toy that looked most similar to the one in the movie), seen the on top shelf near woody's feet. If you want close ups of anything, just let me know.

Andy Davis
Ant

Postby Andy Davis » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:22 am

Just ordered up a Mr. Mike and a set of Melissa and Doug ABC Blocks. Down to fifteen (primary) toys left to get to complete the Toy Story One collection. =D

Just doing Andy's & Molly's Toys for now; I'll worry about Sid and Hannah's toys in the future some time.
Andy Davis
Ant

Postby Andy Davis » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Mr. Mike arrived today! Wasn't expecting it until the 17th or 18th, so that's awesome. =)
I also ordered a Toy Story Read-Along casette tape to test out Mr. Mike's casette player; couldn't figure it out at first, but just got it to work, so bonus! Just needs a little wash and he should be as good as new; no AC Adapter though; I'll have to find one elsewhere.

The ABC Baby Blocks also came in a couple days ago or so; really good shipping on that.

I'm just waiting for the Magic 8 Ball and the Tinkertoys to arrive before taking an updated picture of the collection. :D

EDIT: Yay! I figured out how to play the casette tape! XD
Andy Davis
Ant

Postby arianapham » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:51 am

Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post.
A Goody Life
arianapham

Postby TheSpaceSheriff » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:26 am

With Toy Story 4's teaser announced today, I felt it was appropriate to bump this thread for future use. Hopefully, one of the mods lurking can help clean up the spam.
"Falling with style", eh?
TheSpaceSheriff
Toy Collector

Location: Floating aimlessly in space (Hopefully Zurg doesn't capture me)

PreviousNext

Return to Toy Story